Hello all

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
ambisextrous

Hello all

Post by ambisextrous »

A little about me. I am soon to be a big 50. I am married to a woman and have been for 19 years, but I am bisexual - not transitioning, questioning, or anything else - just equally attracted to both sexes and have been since birth. I am also gender fluid. I am comfortable with having am male body but my brain is almost certainly female. I have ADHD and I think it is connected and I was born this way spending a lot of time playing with girls and boys, including playing dollies with my sister and stealing her clothes. I used to be a cross dresser in my 20's and that was seriously taboo back then in my community. The world has become more liberal and I know loads of gay married men. My wife has known about my sexuality for a while but not my gender. I decided to come out and be completely clear with her. Initially she was shocked but is now supportive. So she is taking me shopping and helping me create a gender neutral look. As part of that I have decided to step out in skirts, tee-shirt dresses, androgynous underwear and androgynous clothing. I am also planning to go on a night course to make my own clothes as I just can't really find a shop that sells what I want. If that goes well I might open an online shop on Etsy and see what happens.

By day I am a pin stripe suit wearing consultant but I tend to add my own touches to my dress through cufflinks, scarfs, cravats and flamboyant ties. I run my own successful consultancy business.

Some people who feel gender fluid get hot under the collar about pronouns. I could not give a stuff. I am find with people calling me him, he, his, himself or her, she, hers, herself or the gender neutral equivalents. I answer to Steven, Stephen or Steph. Also I could not give a stuff of what people think of me in the street, if they judge me or whatever. I have learned to ignore ignorant half-wits. I used to be in an infantry regiment and know how to look after myself if someone wants to try it on. I am completely cool shopping in the women's department and so wish more shops and changing rooms would go gender neutral. The shop assistants were very understanding 20 years ago and I am sure they will be the same when I go shopping with my wife or on my own.

I live in Leicester but it is looking very likely I am going to be living in Edinburgh for a while. Occasionally I go to Cork in Ireland for a client. London too.

I would love to meet more people like me.

Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello all

Post by Jim »

Welcome to SkirtCafe, ambisextrous. It's a blessing your wife is so accepting. Keep us informed.

denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Welcome Steph. Tell people your name and they will know how to call you.
Doing a course on making clothes would great as most clothes, new or second hand, are based on current or past fashions. No a lot available for unconventional personal tastes. Many here make their own clothes and I envy their time and skill.
I am amazed how long it has taken you to wear skirts (confessing I took longer). Skirts are great and I am sure you will have a lot of fun with them.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Most of us here picked up skirt wearing later in life. I did and wished I had found skirts a lot earlier. But life is what it is. MOH is tolerant to a degree but doesn'[t like me wearing a skirt out of the house, even though she knows I do and tends to ignore that issue. But I love skirts and am becoming used to dresses though I know that that would just be too far for MOH. Welcome to the cafe.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.