Hi, I'm new

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Hi, I'm new

Post by new2skirts »

I have always been curious about alternative fashion, I was directed here by crossdressers.com as I didn't want to be in full drag, and wondered if there is any alternative? I've seen celebrities like EJ Johnson and Billy Porter wear fantastic outfits with a skirt on, and wondered if it is possible for day to day life. What are the best colors to start off with, and what kind of styles?
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi, I'm new

Post by melsav »

Hi, and welcome to skirt Cafe. you will find all the advice you need here. Personally I wear kilts mostly even though my kilts are a little shorter ( above the knee) and sit on my hips rather than my waist I still plenty of compliments. When I do wear a skirt it's usually a denim mini skirt as most people don`t see the skirt. :welcome:
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Thanks for the advice! I think I will try jeans skirts or darker colored straight skirts, as I imagine other shapes may be too girly. I just find it more comfortable than shorts which cut into your crotch. Think I will be too scared to venture outside in case I get laughed at or worse. Hopefully I can see some examples of outfits so I get a better idea of how to look.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

new2skirts wrote:Thanks for the advice! I think I will try jeans skirts or darker colored straight skirts, as I imagine other shapes may be too girly. I just find it more comfortable than shorts which cut into your crotch. Think I will be too scared to venture outside in case I get laughed at or worse. Hopefully I can see some examples of outfits so I get a better idea of how to look.
Hello and Welcome to the best place to get information on how and what to wear when it comes to skirts.
:thewave:
I wear skirt and dresses all of the time and I really don't remember when the last time I wore a pair of pants or shorts. As for being scared that someone will laugh at you don't be. Most people do not pay attention to others or what they are wearing and for the very few who might laugh don't worry about them they do not know you and therefore do not count. :D

I wear "A" line skirts mostly at knee length or just below the knee cap. As for colors pick what you like and don't be afraid of bright colors.

There are a lot of styles represented here at the cafe but my suggestion is pick your own style. But don't be afraid to wear anything you like.

Getting outside the house start slowly take a ride in the country in your skirt, maybe stop and get gas or a cup of coffee at a convenience store. You will see that no one is watching.. In fact I just returned from the trash compactor and there was a lot of people dumping trash and not one comment or laugh. In fact I talked to the operator for several minutes and he did not even mention the skirt.

SO JUST GET OUT THERE AND ENJOY YOUR NEW FOUND FREEDOM!!!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome and you have definitely come to the right place. Our primary purpose is to spread the message that you don't have to do the whole monty. If you just want to replace your trousers with a skirt then our message is JFDI [0]. Try a denim knee-length skirt as that is the most invisible of skirts for men. You will be nervous the first time but just radiate confidence and you will realise that people just. don't. care. Take your time and choose your occasions. Some here wear skirts all the time which is fine. I don't. All I want is to incorporate skirts into my wardrobe and wear them as and when I want to which isn't all the time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, new2skirts!

Knee-length denim, that's what I started with, as did several others. Then I gradually tried other colours, fabrics and lengths. If your motivation is an interest in alternative fashion, I suspect you will branch out into other styles as well.

Yes, it is possible for day to day life. Pull your skirt on and carry on with your day as normal. It will make no difference in most situations. (Work and family are the main problem areas.) People notice, of course, but they don't care. You can expect a lot of double takes. You will overhear the occasional comment along the lines of "That guy is wearing a skirt" but you will be no more than a thing of passing interest.

You're going to have fun exploring all the new styles you can now wear!

Really your biggest problem will be deciding when to change your user name here!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Welcome to "the club".
As indicated by others already, a denim/jeans skirt to start of with or a (utility)kilt would be the best options. And yes the reason you mentioned is the one most used by all, comfort! Comfort should also be, in my opinion, the guideline in your choices.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

new2skirts wrote:I have always been curious about alternative fashion, I was directed here by crossdressers.com as I didn't want to be in full drag, and wondered if there is any alternative? I've seen celebrities like EJ Johnson and Billy Porter wear fantastic outfits with a skirt on, and wondered if it is possible for day to day life. What are the best colors to start off with, and what kind of styles?
Hello and welcome,
I started off with jean kilts and then I found ie faitagas from Eveni Pacific. These are basically wrap skirt like garments worn by men in the Pacific Island regions. I have always worn lots of color for shirts, so that has not changed much. I always try to push the boundaries just a little beyond my comfort zone. The first time I wore a skirt out in public was to the grocery store. I sat in the parking lot and cried a bit before getting up the courage. I also took a shot of whiskey, lol.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Welcome! Don't sweat it, just take it as it comes. You will be more uptight about being skirted than anyone who might give you a funny look. Try anonymous places at first, then decide if you want to go public to friends or family. Good luck, be bold, let us know how you feel and how it goes.
Dillon
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Thanks!

I bought two skirts today, a black Michael Kors straight skirt, and a corduroy mini in grey. The grey skirt might be good with grey tights, what do you think? I saw them in a charity shop. I am in the black one now wearing brown tights. Might need better fitting knickers as the skirt looks bumpy at the front :oops:
black_sk.jpg
I hope it looks okay. The skirt is tight but there's a slit at the back so it's alright to walk in. Might even go out to buy some milk, I don't care what people think
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

The bump in front is a problem for guys wearing tight skirts. Can also be a problem with guys that wear kilts with no sporran. :)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Don't worry about the bump, it is a problem for guys who wear tight pants too. It is a part of you and there fore should not be a problem. If someone says something ask them how they deal with their bumps??? Me, I don't even try to deal with them. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As Fred says don't worry about it. When we wear trousers often the bump is noticeable but so what. Women have two big bumps on their chests and they don't go around trying to minimise their display. At least most don't - they're more concerned about supporting them and displaying them to their full advantage most of the time! If I was wearing shorts or trousers and the bump was on display then why should I worry with skirts? Often the thing about tight skirts that make the bump more prominent is that they have a flat panel at the front. That panel can show bulges around the tummy too! :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Thanks for the replies. I went underwear shopping as I thought I would buy something more fitted as I feel conscious about my beer gut :oops: I went to buy a corset as well as tights - wearing my grey cord skirt. Nervous as hell on the bus with schoolkids looking at me.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

new2skirts wrote:Nervous as hell on the bus with schoolkids looking at me.
That'll pass in time. Have no fear.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!