Hello / New Here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
SEPADave

Hello / New Here

Post by SEPADave »

Hello everyone, I'm new to to the forum, but I've been a lover and wearer of skirts for many years.

I only wear when at home, which is easy to do since I live alone. I have not worked up the courage yet to wear outside the home, with the exception of my balcony. I love the feeling of wearing only a skirt, the feeling of freedom I experience I can not put into words. I look forward to the end of my work day so I can return home and dress in a way that allows me the most comfort. I only wish I had the courage to be true to myself at all times, and wear the skirts outside of the home. I'm sure many can relate to the fears of social judgement

I recently moved to the Philly suburbs and hope to find other minded guys in the area that have experienced the freedom of wearing their skits outside the home. Would love to find a local social group who are open minded, and supportive, of this type of social dress.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, I wish you all well

Dave
Uncle Al

Re: Hello / New Here

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome: Dave :D
You'll find quite a few "like-minded" people here.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Welcom Dave,

I hope you will feel comfortable outside in your skirt. With or without other men in skirt. You have a new home. You can easier show who you really are. I think. New situations make new chances.

It's difficult to find men in skirt in your own living environment. Usually they will not wear a skirt outdoors. I prefer to wear my skirt when I'm with my friends / girlfriends. It seems more like it is normal. Now I meet more my new friends. People who know my real me.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome to the café. Jeff is in the Philly area read a little about him and then maybe you can hook up. Did anybody tell you about the requirements for membership.

These rules are just going into effect. But they are simple. You have to find a way to send me a cheese steak from Pat's :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome to Skirt Cafe from northern Illinois. I don't have trouble going out and about in this conservative rural area. Give it a try and you'll find it enjoyable and trouble-free.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Welcome from Cornwall , U.K..... Members here live all over the world. Once you are confident wearing your skirt outfit and
have read the stories of our adventures you will find it easier to venture out on the street.
We wear our skirt outfits in different styles.
The general public are not really interested in how we dress...best of luck ...weeladdie
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Welcome to this forum of freedom lovers.

Your hesitation of wearing skirts in the open is universal. You are not the first and certainly not the last to experience it. You should read the postings of people with the same situation. In a few month you will ahead of the game and think what it was all about. You have to build it up.

Maybe Jeff can take you under his wings with pointers or a meet-up. He is at the high end of men in skirts. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to this little bistro. Yes, we have all been through the nervousness, the clammy palms, the racing heart venturing out the first time, generally at night and to somewhere neutral - the petrol station, the late night store. And then after the non-event, and it IS a non-event, you realise that the dread, the fears, the trepidation was all in your mind. People DON'T react, in fact they pretty much ignore you. I walk down the high street in my skirt and most people while looking at their mobile phone exhibit just enough awareness to avoid bumping into other people and things and just don't register the skirt. There's no easy way so just hold up your head, be a great actor and exhibit the confidence that this is perfectly normal and you'll do fine. The lack of confidence, the shyness will be more noticeable than the skirt will ever be. Good luck and let us know of your first venture. I GUARANTEE that you'll wonder what you were so afraid of. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the cafe. I was hatched in Delaware County and lived there until the ripe old age of 17. I ended up in South Carolina and that is where I stayed. I wear skirts all of the time and no-longer wear pants at all. I remember the first time I went out in a skirt and oh boy the butterflies in my stomach were all over the place. How ever nothing happened it was a non event and it just kept getting easier and easier so that now It is my normal. I don't know where in the Philly area you are but there are several in that area. One is a member here JeffB1959 and he goes to the King of Prussia Mall a lot. So look him up and maybe you can meet up and you can see just how easy it is to go out in a skirt!!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find kindred spirits here, I know I have.

One thing I notice is that the "Fear" of going out, transforms into "Excitement" when going out skirted. I'm sort of new to this way (just the past 2 years). The excitement I feel, every time, It is part of the whole experience for me. I hope it never gets boring.

I make every attempt to go out regularly, but I do always worry a bit about who would I meet?, and things like that. When I do meet someone I know I sometimes do get quizzical looks and maybe even the question. When I do normal business, like going to the store, bank, and bar, I usually just get treated normally. People I don't know always (so far) seem to have no problems, and sometimes say something supporting. I probably look strange to some, with my mix of male and female style (mostly male look), but as I said, that is part of the fun.

In my small town I still have people that I really would not want to explain why, but for the most part, things like post office, supermarket, gas station, coffee shop and the such are fine. In fact, yesterday I was out in black tights, Blue wool skirt, and top, and no one seemed to notice at all. Everywhere I went it was like this happens all the time.

If I lived in a new city or town I would not hesitate to let every person know that this is the way i dress.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Welcome from Scotland, SEPADave. I hope you find inspiration from your fellow members here, and step out in your skirt.

It's not easy at first, most of the guys could tell you that. Go somewhere that nobody will know you. A short errand. Go at night. When you see that nobody really cares, it starts to get easier!

Tell us how you feel, and how you get on. You can be sure someone else has had a similar experience, so you'll find lots of support here.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Hello and welcome!
SEPADave

Post by SEPADave »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I hope to gain the strength and courage to venture out someday, until then, I will continue to enjoy my skirted moments at home. Again, thank you all for the warm welcome :o
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Welcome SEPADave!

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received came from the pastor of my church when I finally admitted that I not only wanted to wear skirts in public, but dresses too, including church. Her response was,, "Then just do it!" You know, like the old Nike ad.

Even with that encouragement I was scared as hell when I was about to get out of my car at the church parking lot. But I did anyway and entering my church in my grey sweaterdress, control top pantyhose and ankle booties changed my life … for the much better!

I've recorded the details, several times, on this website. Check it out.

And use those postings as inspiration to live your best life as your genuine self.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Welcome Dave
I started out wearing skirts outside more than year ago and I wasn't nervous about wearing a skirt outside. People don't seem to notice somehow is what I experinced.
I live in a tiny village were everybody knows everybody, and they did not raise one eyebrow when they spotted me.

All this was before my outing as a transgender woman, that lookes like it made things a bit easier, but remember, i was a man then. looking like a man , being a man.

I can aonly say to you that if you don't dare to outside yet you can drive to a forest or another nabourhood where they don 't know you. There you can practice to wear skirts in the open.

I wish you a can have a happy skirtwearing life.
Greetings, Marica
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)