Introduction

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
jamesy

Introduction

Post by jamesy »

Hi,

I'm James, 66 yo male in gold Coast Australia. Last Saturday after discussions with my wife, I bought my first skirt. She was very encouraging, i wore it out of the shop and for the whole day most of which was in private. Two days later we went on a drive trip and again I wore it for the whole day, we went to cafes, shops, pubs and more and not once was there any comment. In fact, I got several favourable chances from both males and females.

The skirt I bought is the single most comfortable piece of clothing I've ever owned. It is above the knee, has an elastic waist and no zip.

Why I haven't done this before I'll never know; I guess a fear of societal disapproval I suppose.

I am now convinced men should try wearing skirts; a conform secret women have kept from us for way too long.

Now looking to buy another couple of them.

Nobody could convince me now that men shouldn't wear skirts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Introduction

Post by Jim »

Welcome Jamesy from Australia, from Jim from northern Illinois, USA. My wife used to be a little uncomfortable with me wearing a skirt to more formal occasions such as a restaurant or church but now seems fully supportive.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Welcome from another Aussie.
There is no turning back now that you have discovered the joy of skirts, especially in your climate.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Hello and welcome. There is no way to ever feel comfortable wearing anything but a skirt. Once you try a skirt you wonder why it took so long.
Last edited by Freedomforall on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Welcome Jamesy, from another Aussie, just up the road in Brisbane.

Great to hear that you have a supportive spouse also, those closest to us are often the hardest to gain acceptance from.
I'm sure that you will continue to enjoy the freedom and cool breeze when out and about, especially in the climate that we enjoy in SE QLD during our 6 months of summer, I know I do.

I think you will find that a lot of people do notice us wearing skirts, kilts or whatever, but 99% or people just carry on with their business without comment, but those that do comment are 99% very friendly and curiously supportive.
You will probably get a few women checking you out.....I know I have on one very obvious occasion, two 20 something women checking me out one evening at the Bottle'O when I was wearing a black utility kilt...Any attention you get will be good attention.
Any fears we have are all in our head, and I found that the first few times out and about I was conscious of people's (lack of) reactions, but after an hour or so, just carried on as before.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Welcome James ...I am Retired and live in S W UK ....on the most Southerly Peninsula ....White Cottages and Palm Trees.
Daily summer temp mornings and evenings 10 to 15 C ...daytime 20 to 25 C Autumn feel to the air

Right on the coast , close to Helford River : navigable for 6 miles on the tide..... and Falmouth Harbour which was inbound port for orders for
800 transatlantic sailing ships per month.

Wearing Traditional Scottish Kilt to top of the kneecap and summer skirts to below the knee ....full patterned skirts with elasticated waist band
This overcomes fitting problems...when it gets cooler I wear two skirts and long "T shirt" Usually worn with traditional male sports jacket.

It is worth noting that very few English Lassies wear skirts, particularly summer skirts, these days......weeladdie
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

Spoke with a female friend of ours on Friday and told her about my wearing a skirt. Her response was amazingly enthusiastic and she said she wished more men would, and that she and I could run a campaign to make male skirt wearing a commercially and socially acceptable "thing" for the Gold Coast.

We hatched an idea to do a charity function where all male attendees had to wear a skirt, kilt or dress and proceeds would go to a male charity such as prostate cancer research, men's shed or similar.

What do you think?

Spoke to a male friend who wasn't at all critical and he said based on what I'd told him, he'd like to try too.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:clap: Wonderful Idea :!: :clap:
Go For It :!: :D

PLEASE tell us how the event goes.
If possible, pictures too :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jamesy wrote:....Last Saturday after discussions with my wife, I bought my first skirt...The skirt I bought is the single most comfortable piece of clothing I've ever owned...
Rock on, jamesy! You're very lucky to have such a supporting wife.

But what led you to approach the subject at all?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Welcome James.

Amazing to some of us that you had your wife's support in advance! :o

Your event sounds like a great idea. Maybe some others of us could try. Who knows, it may overcome some family resistance.

Good luck
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

My wife is very understanding.

Four years ago I told her I hated conventional mens underwear - find them very uncomfortable and wanted to try ladies to see if they were more comfortable. No problem. We went shopping, i bought some thongs (G strings) and have worn them ever since. I have also added some male lingerie to my wardrobe (no bras) and she loves them. I love wearing them and now have no male underwear at all.

Two years ago I told her I wanted to go to a clothing optional beach. Without hesitation - although she is totally textile - she went and now we go almost every weekend. We have also been to CO resorts together.

I have long been jealous of the lightweight clothing women can wear as opposed to our stuffy shirt, jacket, trousers, belt, socks, shoes. While she has been sympathetic, until very recently when away for a weekend when we walked past a boutique selling quite eclectic womens wear I spotted a very nice skirt. I remarked quite off the cuff that I would wear it so she said "buy it then". I did; I wore it out of the shop and for the rest of the day and the next day too.

I have worn it in public and not had a negative comment about it. In fact, women are very complementary and all have said more men should wear them as they're comfortable and nicer than trousers. I don't see it as cross dressing; I'm 100% male, simply exercising my option to dress as I choose.

More men should try wearing skirts, we all know they won't look back once they do.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Jamesy, you have hit the jackpot with that wife of yours!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

So things have taken a backward step. My wife told me she wasn't impressed with my skirt wearing and asked I not wear them while she is around.

Devastated that I'm now a closet skirt wearer.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jamesy wrote:So things have taken a backward step. My wife told me she wasn't impressed with my skirt wearing and asked I not wear them while she is around.

Perhaps you can get away with less than a total defeat and then slowly work your way back. For example, perhaps your wife would tolerate a tunic over joga pants, which is somewhat like a dress over tights. Or maybe shorts worn over tights. Or maybe a skort. And none of those all the time.

I understand these probably aren't what you're really looking for, but over time your wife may learn to tolerate them and then you can try another small step.

It may not be logical, but if you ask the same person the same question on a different day and in a different way, you sometimes get a different answer.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

jamesy wrote:So things have taken a backward step. My wife told me she wasn't impressed with my skirt wearing and asked I not wear them while she is around.

Sorry to hear about about the downward trend.
Quite a few of us members have spouses that are non supporting to different degrees. Read about us in the difficulties with partners thread.
There are pages and pages of stories of our struggles. Take it slow, the fact she was into it at the start you need to have a chat on why the sudden change. Likely there has been some kind of misunderstanding somewhere. Ask her what her fears are. She possibly got the misconception that you are slowly turning into a woman. Going trans or gay. The wives need the assurances that they are not loosing you in some way. My wife, despite multiple assurances has no tolerance for skirts, I can wear kilts sometimes arround the house, she barely tolerates kilts. Communication is key, take it slow. I'd rather be married and barely wear skirts. Than be divorced and wear skirts all the time.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.