Hello from Texas

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
james

Hello from Texas

Post by james »

I've been lurking on this board for a while now, I guess it's time I said hello.

My affinity for skirts comes from the fact that I'm a crossdresser. I know that this is not a crossdressing board, and that's all good because that's not why I'm here. I'm here because I still want to be able to go out in guy mode but enjoy wearing a skirt at the same time.

I've only gone out in kilts so far, and thanks to this board for introducing me to the 5.11 tactical kilt. The first time doing that was kinda scary, but it got easier. I've got a couple of second looks from people, but that's about it. One of my most reaffirming moments was when I was in the mall and walked into the Converse wearing a kilt and a pair of converse lowtops and the girl behind the counter gave me two big thumbs up. I have a denim skirt or two that I would consider wearing out, but so far haven't worked up the nerve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Hello from Texas

Post by crfriend »

james wrote:I've been lurking on this board for a while now, I guess it's time I said hello.
Good day, Sir. Pleased to meet you!
I'm here because I still want to be able to go out in guy mode but enjoy wearing a skirt at the same time.
That's why the place exists! It's an obscure notion, to be sure, and all the attention is focussed elsewhere, but why shouldn't men "in guy mode" wear skirts? The societal/cultural prohibition makes no rational sense, and we're here to fight it -- frequently in the trenches in the real world.

There are a few folks here from Texas, so they can comment on the local mores better than I, but generally in any reasonably civilised part of the world you won't get much of a hassle for wearing a skirt in public so long as you stand tall, hold your head up, and don't slink about like you're doing something "wrong". IN fact, most of the time you'll be appreciated for having the courage to be an individual.

Welcome aboard.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and :welcome: James! I hope you find our little corner of the Internet to be useful and enjoyable.

Do you crossdress in public? And if so, why did you find it hard to go out as a man in a skirt? I'm glad you found something that worked for you.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We have representation in this forum from all over the globe - Canada, America, Europe, Australia and the Far East. Not many of us, to be sure, in comparison to the total number but we are important nonetheless as are you. Take your time venturing out in your denim skirts but after the first time it does get easier and you WILL wonder what all the beating heart and nerves were about. Welcome to our little corner and do contribute as you'll get more out of it than you put in and let us know of your experiences.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Welcome from S W Cornwall U K....In this forum you will find that we as " men in skirts " live all over the world....From the
" Sightings in the wild " thread you will see that many of us rarely see another " Man in a Skirt."

Explore your skirt wearing at your own pace....Asking questions is a good way of starting an interesting discussion.....all the best ...weeladdie
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

And a hearty :welcome: from another 'Texan' :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Good to have you here. Kilts are a great way to start, and are accepted by most people, even disapproving spouses. And there's such a variety available these days.

Having said that, there are plenty of other options that won't raise any eyebrows. As is often said here, confidence and comfort are the keys to carrying it off.

Good luck.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Hello and welcome from Tennessee, the sister state to Texas. We are glad you joined us. It's better to be in the cafe than standing outside looking through the window while the party happens.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

james wrote:I've been lurking on this board for a while now, I guess it's time I said hello.

My affinity for skirts comes from the fact that I'm a crossdresser. I know that this is not a crossdressing board, and that's all good because that's not why I'm here. I'm here because I still want to be able to go out in guy mode but enjoy wearing a skirt at the same time.

I've only gone out in kilts so far, and thanks to this board for introducing me to the 5.11 tactical kilt. The first time doing that was kinda scary, but it got easier. I've got a couple of second looks from people, but that's about it. One of my most reaffirming moments was when I was in the mall and walked into the Converse wearing a kilt and a pair of converse lowtops and the girl behind the counter gave me two big thumbs up. I have a denim skirt or two that I would consider wearing out, but so far haven't worked up the nerve.
Welcome James
Hello from the Netherlands, I'm Marica
And I'm a transwoman now, but first I was a man in a skirt about half a year ago.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)