newbie from S.W.U.K

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

newbie from S.W.U.K

Post by weeladdie18 »

Greetings from S.W. England . Mainland U.K. I have been wearing skirts and Scottish Kilts for over fifty years.

I now no longer think about wearing a skirt or a Scottish Kilt as I have sufficient experience to overcome experiences

which others may consider embarrassing . .....I enjoy the freedom of wearing my chosen garment.

I wear unpleated skirts at the moment as I consider they are more practical for driving. But my mood may change.

Regarding the use of anacronyms , I enjoy wearing a W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P............this garment is a ..........Wrap Around Small Person..... Kilt..Sarong...Sulu.... weeladdie18
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: newbie from S.W.U.K

Post by Sinned »

Welcome WL, I do have a proper kilt but rarely wear it as it's very heavy. I wear a skirt as often as I can but prefer lighter materials, bright or pastel colours and mini short. You will get more out of the site by contributing to the discussions. I've only been wearing skirts for five years or so but find that in one I feel different. If I'm out in jeans I feel ordinary and just one of the masses and boring. In a skirt I feel more unique and I wish I could get that across to MOH.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, weeladdie18. You must be the longest-standing skirt wearer here, auld Scotsmen excepted. Was it all kilts at first or have skirts been in the wardrobe for just as long?

What's the long view on how people's reactions have changed (or not) over the years?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Sinned wrote:Welcome WL, I do have a proper kilt but rarely wear it as it's very heavy. I wear a skirt as often as I can but prefer lighter materials, bright or pastel colours and mini short. You will get more out of the site by contributing to the discussions. I've only been wearing skirts for five years or so but find that in one I feel different. If I'm out in jeans I feel ordinary and just one of the masses and boring. In a skirt I feel more unique and I wish I could get that across to MOH.
Sinned, Thank you for your welcome .....By replying to your post I hope I can open doors which would lead to separate discussions...

The Traditional Kilt ,as it is worn correctly , today , is a heavy garment...8 yards of 16 oz woollen woven cloth.

This mathematically equates to approximately 8 yards by 8 ounces of cloth... This becomes 8 yards by 8 oz per yard .. ..

So the garment is approximately 8 yards long at the hem and 1.5 x the waist measurement of the wearer at the waist..

Total weight is approximately 4 pounds ...or 2 x a 2 pound bag of sugar.......When the Kilt is worn correctly all the weight is held

at the true waist and supported on the hips and rear of the wearer...... The Traditional Kilt develops it own swing and feel.

The garment is ideally suited for outdoor wear , but is not easy to wear while driving a long way , in a car.

Returning to the Skirt. I prefer to wear my skirts below the knee in winter to keep my knees warm when I am seated.

The skirt is not the traditional wear of the Male in our part of the World .

... The wearing of this latest comfortable fashion for the male takes some explaining.......

I went into a supermarket café yesterday wearing a skirt.........

Not one mature female was wearing a skirt. ...This also takes some explaining........ ........ weeladdie18
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

skirtyscot wrote:Hello and welcome, weeladdie18. You must be the longest-standing skirt wearer here, auld Scotsmen excepted. Was it all kilts at first or have skirts been in the wardrobe for just as long?

What's the long view on how people's reactions have changed (or not) over the years?
Thank you "Skirtyscot " for your welcome. In my life the skirts came first as they were readily available in charity shops.

As a question of practicality I then took to Kilt wearing and learned to wear The Kilt correctly while Scottish Country Dancing

with the local Scottish Ex Patriots who chose to migrate from Scotland with their employment.

Some Auld Scotsmen wore the Kilt to Church , to childrens parties , to senior school and as part of their Boy Scout Uniform in Scotland.

In my experience the wearing of the Kilt in Scotland has its own regional variations.

The Kilt is worn to many Highland Weddings and private Functions as a Hire Garment.

To confuse the History of the Kilt further , The Folks from the Celtic Lands of S W Cornwall , Wales , Ireland , and Brittanny have taken to

wearing their own Kilts over the past 100 years.

Despite my observations I only see one Kilt a year in my travels and rarely see a man in a skirt.

No one notices what I am wearing and people rarely pass comment on what I am wearing........ weeladdie18