Men can "rock" skirts too!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Re: Men can "rock" skirts too!

Post by Feeling freedom »

Kirbstone wrote:FSP (Forum sartorial Police) here, FF. We don't like the untucked look. Sod Pinterest. Untidy under short top, shortens the skirt and ruins the proportions. Back to the bottom of the Class. Do like the denim though and it's a shame to hide it.

Even my tank top in the attached pic. is a tad too long.

Tom
Yes sir and sorry sir, I won't be so slobby next time sir! :lol: :lol:
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Daryl wrote:BE SEEN WEARING THEM. Also, reward providers with sales. There's no substitute for supply-side change; no clever human rights arguments, no trends in the fashion industry, nothing. It truly is a chicken and egg problem.
That helps. I would assume there are thousands of men in all cities who are still afraid to go out in public with their skirts. We need more men on the streets to be seen and the percentage of sales is still too small for men's skirts to be seen in major stores. Just being seen on the street will take too long. Has anybody ever seen a store that will focus on skirts for men and offer Utilikilts, Skirtcraft and all other brands? The store could offer mens tights which there are many. Yes this could be online but it would be nice to walk in a store front to try on the clothing. A store like this may draw the bashful out and increase our numbers.

I guess my entrepreneurial spirit is talking, this happens to me often :roll: .
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote formatting
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Feeling freedom wrote:
Daryl wrote:BE SEEN WEARING THEM. Also, reward providers with sales. There's no substitute for supply-side change; no clever human rights arguments, no trends in the fashion industry, nothing. It truly is a chicken and egg problem.
That helps. I would assume there are thousands of men in all cities who are still afraid to go out in public with their skirts. We need more men on the streets to be seen and the percentage of sales is still too small for men's skirts to be seen in major stores. Just being seen on the street will take too long. Has anybody ever seen a store that will focus on skirts for men and offer Utilikilts, Skirtcraft and all other brands? The store could offer mens tights which there are many. Yes this could be online but it would be nice to walk in a store front to try on the clothing. A store like this may draw the bashful out and increase our numbers.

I guess my entrepreneurial spirit is talking, this happens to me often :roll: .
I've noted that some tartan shops also stock some Utilikilts, and various other similar kilts and other men's skirts sometimes appear in booths in exhibitions and pride street festivals, but as for mainstream retail, nada.

For some time I've been trying to think of ways to support bespoke clothesmakers with designs that men could take to them. Alas I haven't the skill, time or patience to create patterns and instructions. Youtube videos might be something I could manage someday.

Another thought I've been having is an international conference/exhibition aimed at both wearers and providers. Skill, time and patience seem to be in short supply for that project as well.
Daryl...
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

I've noted that some tartan shops also stock some Utilikilts, and various other similar kilts and other men's skirts sometimes appear in booths in exhibitions and pride street festivals, but as for mainstream retail, nada.

For some time I've been trying to think of ways to support bespoke clothesmakers with designs that men could take to them. Alas I haven't the skill, time or patience to create patterns and instructions. Youtube videos might be something I could manage someday.

Another thought I've been having is an international conference/exhibition aimed at both wearers and providers. Skill, time and patience seem to be in short supply for that project as well.[/quote]

Tartan shops is a good start but it is too singular in products as there is most likely a preconceived notion that it is kilts only. Men who don't want kilts would need to go to another retailer to find the skirts he is looking for. A whole new dynamic store would be needed in order to draw all men of various tastes. Unfortunately a straight man having to go to a pride parade to buy a skirt contributes to cognitive dissonance. I was on the Board of directors on a nation wide association for the industry I work in and was on the special events committee, due to my experience with that the thought of a conference has also passed my mind a half dozen times as well. The Café is just shy of 1,500 members but that is around the world. We would need that in North America alone in order to get the attendance needed to justify costs.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Feeling freedom wrote: Tartan shops is a good start but it is too singular in products as there is most likely a preconceived notion that it is kilts only. Men who don't want kilts would need to go to another retailer to find the skirts he is looking for.
They would have to try something really off the wall, like... I dunno... display some in the window... put a rail of them outside... maybe try advertising?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

skirtyscot wrote:
Feeling freedom wrote: Tartan shops is a good start but it is too singular in products as there is most likely a preconceived notion that it is kilts only. Men who don't want kilts would need to go to another retailer to find the skirts he is looking for.
They would have to try something really off the wall, like... I dunno... display some in the window... put a rail of them outside... maybe try advertising?
That makes sense Skirtyscot. It would certainly help our cause and that business may prosper from it. Is there a kilt shop owner out there who would carry not just kilts but a variety of other skirts for men along with tights and other clothing for the gender fluid? That I am yet to see. If any other members are reading this and have seen it please speak up because it would be delightful to hear about.

Relying on walk in or walk by traffic will not do the trick to achieve what I have seen when it comes to this forums fashion equality wishes for men's skirts to be mainstream. That is only 1 store.

Advertising or you may mean "marketing" is very expensive and for now low sales on men's skirts has a low-to-loss ROI. A distributor with a booth at various fashion trade shows would be great marketing since you now have displays in front of THOUSANDS of fashion store owners. The distribution business would need to be developed first and that requires a solid business plan.

Conferences are also good. Guest speakers like Jordan Smith or Eddie Izzard would draw a crowd and vendors can set up booths there since all attendees would be of the like-minded. Again, this costs $$.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Feeling freedom wrote:...Is there a kilt shop owner out there who would carry not just kilts but a variety of other skirts for men along with tights and other clothing for the gender fluid? That I am yet to see. If any other members are reading this and have seen it please speak up because it would be delightful to hear about...
Indeed, that would be delightful.

I've imagined a chain of shops called Skirts and Kilts for Men and Women, or SKMW, or Unbufurcated Inc. that would sell, uh, skirts and kilts for men and women, not arranged in separate men's and women's zones, plus accessories. They'd be located in trendy districts, the staff would all be skirted or kilted, and one of the staff duties would be to brouse around the district as if they were shopping or whatever.

But alas, I'm doubtful such a business would gather enough business to be profitable. There just aren't enough men or women wearing skirts or kilts these days, and brick-and-mortar stores of all kinds are having a tough time competing with on-line shopping.

Plus, first I'd have to win several million dollars in the lottery.

There are shops that cater to cross dressers, transvestites, and transsexuals, but I presume those are of no interest here.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My problem with buying skirts in shops is that they are generally beyond what I am prepared to pay. I suspect any shop that sells skirts for men would be the same. I have my limits £5 for a skirt and £10 for a dress thus I would only consider sale items. I do live in Yorkshire after all.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Do you have similar rules for other items of clothing? If not, why so frugal when it comes to the skirts and dresses? You are clearly not going to be a customer at Caultron's Unbifurcated chain, because you only buy second hand.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

SS, I'm an adopted Yorkshireman and thus frugal. The definition of a Yorkshireman [0] more or less applies to me plus early in marriage money was in short supply so we had to be careful with it. I suppose I imposed the limits because in the early days skirting was supposed to be an erotic flirtation. My attitude has changed and I suppose I would relax the criteria for the right skirt. I am looking at a UK or similar and realise that I won't get one of those for a fiver. Dresses are yet still not in the serious attire stage so I can afford to be ruthless. As for other clothes I winced recently when I had to buy a couple of pairs of black trousers for work and had to shell out 20 notes for them. MOH has difficulty getting me to buy clothes and I do get a lot of clothes donated from family and friends. But I have plenty of clothes anyway [1] and don't wear them out very quickly.

[0] A Scotsman with the generosity bred out.
[1] My wardrobe is full of shirts, skirts, trousers, T-shirts most of which fit nicely. I think I need to thin them out.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Caultron wrote: There are shops that cater to cross dressers, transvestites, and transsexuals, but I presume those are of no interest here.
One would assume an everyday man would not go into those stores due to worry of being "labelled".
Sinned wrote:My problem with buying skirts in shops is that they are generally beyond what I am prepared to pay. I suspect any shop that sells skirts for men would be the same. I have my limits £5 for a skirt and £10 for a dress thus I would only consider sale items. I do live in Yorkshire after all.

A dilemma for many. If there were retailers selling men's skirts on a regular basis they will eventually would show up in the second hand shops and online stores.

This is the challenge, we need the everyday consumer to be purchasing on a regular basis to increase what we see on the street. We the few know what we would like to see and notice that the trend is moving that way but how does it turn from the few to the many and not take 2-3 generations as history show?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Feeling freedom wrote:
Caultron wrote: There are shops that cater to cross dressers, transvestites, and transsexuals, but I presume those are of no interest here.
One would assume an everyday man would not go into those stores due to worry of being "labelled".
Yes, and even if no one else ever discovers, self-acceptance can present its own barrier.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Casual looks for denim skirts. I find both very comfortable to wear. If it is warm the shirts can come off since I am wearing t-shirts underneath.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Looking good. Looks very wearable.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Feeling freedom wrote:Casual looks for denim skirts. I find both very comfortable to wear. If it is warm the shirts can come off since I am wearing t-shirts underneath.
Looking good. Rock on!

caultron