I am here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
unfork

I am here

Post by unfork »

Hi Everyone-

As many, I have been reading this forum and other things long before making this direct contribution, and although I do not see myself becoming a very active member, I have decided to give it a go and share my experience for the benefit of the community as I have taken benefit from the community and the experience of others. We are many and I am yet another one.

I have been attracted to skirts since a young age, this garment that women wear and some man in other countries too, but not “us”. I twas only with the advent of the internet (which was some time ago!) realized I was not alone and made more comfortable with who I am. I am “regular” (whatever that means) guy and now a family man, and I like to wear skirts as fashion choice, for comfort, as an act of rebellion and also a bit of vanity I like a traditional masculine aesthetics and wear skirts/kilts that fit within that. I like to experiment, but I am just at the beginning of the journey and am still building my skirts wardrobe.

At a more rebellious age I wore traditional kilts the punk way, with leather combat boots and leather jackets and a lot of attitude. It was first just a novelty reserved for parties with friends and events but the confidence gathered by the positive experience led me to experiment being just out and about in broad daylight running errands, which was unnerving at first but liberating. I even went clubbing. (It was not the UK so kilts were perceived as skirts).

Then I quited down, cut my hair and got a job as they say, my old kilts did not quite fit right anymore and I gave in to social pressure to be bifurcated. But summers ar hot, and crotch seams are in the way in many circumstances and so with a bit less of a punk attitude and more of an equally effective carelessness that comes with age I went back to be unbifurcated again but this time without confining myself to the recognizable cliche of traditional kilts. I am experimenting with sarongs, denim and camo skirts, dhoti inspired wraps and of course modern “utility” kilts which are my favourites both in terms of look and comfort and practicality. I got very much into DIY as it lets me try out my own ideas. I am having a lot of fun being creative in an area I felt pressured by society not to venture in.

I currently wear skirts half (maybe a bit more :) ) of the time, I mean my spare time, work is excluded for now but who knows, I am picking my battles. Getting to this stage was not easy and walking out of the door in a skirt (not a kilt) for the first time gave me butterflies, but the sky did not fall and the “be a man” police did not arrest me for breaking the “man rules”. On the contrary, over time I have received a lot of positive feedback, from the ladies, but also from other dudes that turned out to be casual kilt wearers too. I have lost count of the puzzled looks I got, but hey, I stare as well at things I find unusual, I don’t think there’s anything wrong it. The funniest moment was walking in gym locker room in a camo utility kilt, to get changed: it went silent in one millisecond and then everyone was trying to resume some sort of meaningful conversation as quickly as possible trying not to seem embarrassed for having so blatantly stared .. If only they knew how much it took me to muster the confidence to just walk in looking confident.

Anyway, I am here too. I have been conquering new spaces (not yet all) we are conquering new spaces as a community and in the process gaining more freedom for ourselves and everyone. Although there are things other member of this site wear that I wouldn’t (just because is not my style) I nevertheless like that fact that they do, as I want to enjoy the freedom to be able to do so if I chose to. My ultimate desire is for sites like this to cease to exist because the underlying issue becomes a non-issue: there is no site for trousers wearing women.

unfork
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I am here

Post by Stu »

Welcome unfork.

To be honest, I rarely seem to wear anything other than trousers these days, usually because they are warmer and more convenient in light of the climate here. Nevertheless, I want the same rights as women enjoy i.e to wear what I please and that's why I come here.

It's a friendly bunch here. We sometimes disagree, but it never comes to nastiness. :D
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

:welcome:
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Welcome unfork

Be happy to wear whatever you like. We do, and certainly I do it everyday.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Welcome! A great story and thank you for sharing with us. Fortune favors the bold, as the old saying goes.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, unfork, and welcome to the board!

It sounds as if you're off to a great start wearing skirts, or perhaps were quite a few years ago.

Do you have a partner, and are they supportive?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
unfork

Post by unfork »

Thank you for the warm welcome, and yes, wife, family and my close circle is supportive, which I think makes a big difference!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

unfork, familial support makes a HUGE difference and I'm glad that yours are supportive. If it wasn't for MOH's opposition I would wear a skirt more often than I do now and may even taste dresses for flavour. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
unfork

Post by unfork »

Sinned wrote:unfork, familial support makes a HUGE difference and I'm glad that yours are supportive. If it wasn't for MOH's opposition I would wear a skirt more often than I do now and may even taste dresses for flavour. :D
yes, HUGE difference. Having not know anything different other than in my imagination before giving it a go I have used a understatement. I guess when it comes to SO is a balancing act. I am a lucky one in this respect.