Check In From Pennsylvania

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
crooddog

Check In From Pennsylvania

Post by crooddog »

Good morning from Penn's Woods. I have been aware of this site for many years, have read a lot here, and decided I would check in and possibly have something to contribute at some point.

I have enjoyed wearing skirts for many years, going back to when I was still in school and found some old clothes stored in the attic that I would borrow when no one else was home. Decades have passed since then. I went through a period of complete cross-dressing about 20 years ago, even venturing out a couple of times thinking I could "pass". Through the clear vision of hindsight and from looking at the few photos that remain from that period I can honestly say that passing was not something that was going to happen.

Many things have changed over the years but I have always had a preference for skirts instead of pants. My skirt wearing is mostly at home, weekends and evenings after work, outdoors around the property, I'm not really ready for the walk through the supermarket. Nowadays I own many skirts and wearing them is just a choice of personal comfort to wear them along with my own t-shirts or sweatshirts along with my sneakers or work boots. I do still have some heeled shoes and boots that I'll wear around the house sometimes. I still like to wear them and it's great fun to see my girlfriend get irritated because she can't walk in them. She's the best.

I bought some utility kilts last year that I have worn away from home on short trips to pick up a case of beer or something that's only a short walk from the car and back. Perhaps the kilts will get some use beyond that in the future but not sure about the other skirts that I own. Along with my kilts I have started to make some of my own skirts, I'm a pretty big guy and have found that I can make better fitting skirts than I can buy and pretty much no longer wear anything else, as far as skirts go.
20171024-032resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Check In From Pennsylvania

Post by SkirtsDad »

crooddog wrote:Good morning from Penn's Woods. I have been aware of this site for many years, have read a lot here, and decided I would check in and possibly have something to contribute at some point.
Nice that you are sharing your story with us and a pic. I imagine many on this forum have been in similar situations regarding how much we want to 'share' with the public. Shopping in a skirt might not be something everyone wants to progress to but for many (like me) it's perhaps fair to say that it's part of being accepted for what we want to be. I started wearing skirts to parties. It's a great ice breaker. It took many years before I would wander up to the shops in a skirt, but it had to be done at some point... and when I did so I felt very liberated. I have reached the point these days that I will wear virtually anything out, although not always to every location.

Btw, was that a skirt that you've made?
crooddog

Post by crooddog »

Thanks. Yes, that one in the picture is one I made.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hi, crooddog, and thanks for checking in and posting your story. You'll certainly find kindred spirits here.

As to going out in a skirt or kilt, everyone here can attest that yes, it's very scary at first. But assuming that's what part of you wants to do, just keep working on it in small steps and notice how little attention other people pay to your outfit. A shocking number will just go about their business and never even notice. Most others will either not react or show a half-second of surprise followed by an, "oh well." One in a thousand will throw you a frown or a stare, but that's their problem, not yours. So just summon up some courage, go out feeling (or at least looking) confident and friendly, and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

As to heels, I've never had any particular problem walking in them either. I started out with 2", then tried 3", and more recently 4", but that seems to be the max, at least for now. I have some 4-1/2" stilettos and those have been difficult.

But I'm always surprised when I'm wearing 2" or 3" heels and women say to me, "Oh, you're so lucky, I could never walk in those." I don't know if it's the shape of their feet or weakness in the ankle or giving up after two seconds of practice or what. I just think they're fun.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crooddog wrote:Good morning from Penn's Woods. I have been aware of this site for many years, have read a lot here, and decided I would check in and possibly have something to contribute at some point.
And a big howdy to you from a former PA resident. (Born and Raised in Upper Darby)
As far as contributing that is easy just say something we will listen.
crooddog wrote:My skirt wearing is mostly at home, weekends and evenings after work, outdoors around the property, I'm not really ready for the walk through the supermarket. Nowadays I own many skirts and wearing them is just a choice of personal comfort to wear them along with my own t-shirts or sweatshirts along with my sneakers or work boots.
I never thought I would go an inch outside my door in a skirt or a dress. Now it is all I wear where ever I go. It will get easier the more you do it. I have found that everyone I have spoken to for the most part say nice things about my skirts and dresses. The ones that have a problem with it (not very many of them) well it is THEIR problem NOT mine. :lol: I do not let it have any effect on me.
So get out there and do your thing with panache and glory!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.