Hi from New Zealand

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby Daryl » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:47 am

Caultron wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Caultron wrote:All generalities are false.


That's quite a generality.

This statement is false.

Death to all extremists!

Two negatives make a positive, but two positives never make a negative. Yeah, right.

Women.


One must never assert a categorical imperative.
Daryl...
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby hlz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:30 am

Daryl wrote:
hlz wrote:Hi everyone,
...I have become interested in wearing skirts as a male


So, you've been doing it as a female up until now? :shock: :wink:


Haha good point ;)

An interesting thing which happened a few months ago, I saw A gay friend of mine, who was all good with it but his boyfriend thought it was "unnatural" and "didn't want to see it". So in this case it wasn't about gay stereotypes at all just ignorance I suppose. Ironically my gay friend has a dress that he wore to some drag queen thing as a joke, but that's ok according to his bf.
hlz
Junior Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby Caultron » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:11 pm

hlz wrote:...An interesting thing which happened a few months ago, I saw A gay friend of mine, who was all good with it but his boyfriend thought it was "unnatural" and "didn't want to see it". So in this case it wasn't about gay stereotypes at all just ignorance I suppose. Ironically my gay friend has a dress that he wore to some drag queen thing as a joke, but that's ok according to his bf.

Most people much prefer single-variant (or better yet binary) categorizations. But in fact, sexual orientation, gender orientation, fashion orientation, and a host of other variables are independent and continuous.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4115
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby Daryl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:22 am

Caultron wrote:
hlz wrote:...An interesting thing which happened a few months ago, I saw A gay friend of mine, who was all good with it but his boyfriend thought it was "unnatural" and "didn't want to see it". So in this case it wasn't about gay stereotypes at all just ignorance I suppose. Ironically my gay friend has a dress that he wore to some drag queen thing as a joke, but that's ok according to his bf.

Most people much prefer single-variant (or better yet binary) categorizations. But in fact, sexual orientation, gender orientation, fashion orientation, and a host of other variables are independent and continuous.


YES. Binary categorisations make polar opposites of things that are not, and then people want to enforce norms based on them as if they are ideals. It's just nuts. All tendencies should be visualised as bell curves not ideals. As curves the overlaps between various groups can be readily seen.
Daryl...
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby Daryl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:22 am

hlz wrote:
Daryl wrote:
hlz wrote:Hi everyone,
...I have become interested in wearing skirts as a male


So, you've been doing it as a female up until now? :shock: :wink:


Haha good point ;)

An interesting thing which happened a few months ago, I saw A gay friend of mine, who was all good with it but his boyfriend thought it was "unnatural" and "didn't want to see it". So in this case it wasn't about gay stereotypes at all just ignorance I suppose. Ironically my gay friend has a dress that he wore to some drag queen thing as a joke, but that's ok according to his bf.


Ignorance or perhaps there's something to the stereotype of the gay man who is an afficionado about fashion and what is or is not "right" to wear. Perhaps he is inspired to be one of them. You know, like some people take up being wine afficionados then claim they can tell good wine from bad.

Funny story, one half of a gay couple I know has actually met Jean Paul Gaultier and worked closely enough with him for a while to be gifted one of his men's skirts designs, which he subsequently wore to some functions with Mssr. Gaultier. The second half of the same couple actually considered wearing a kilt (he has a family tartan) as clothes not costume but was pretty sure the first half would not approve of it.

I was terribly impressed at being just one step away from Mssr. Gaultier, of course, after his work on The Fifth Element.
Daryl...
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby WesleyN » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 am

If I wear a skirt, people sometimes think that I'm equally gay. Maybe that's because of my soft radiance too.

Then I think: women often say that gay men are beautiful men. And even more prejudices are in favor of gays. They have a cared look. They are sympathetic. And they are caring and friendly. So it's actually a compliment for straight men. Do you think so?! ;)

My motto just be who you are. Then you are the best type of yourself.
User avatar
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:39 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby Daryl » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:22 pm

WesleyN wrote:If I wear a skirt, people sometimes think that I'm equally gay. Maybe that's because of my soft radiance too.

Then I think: women often say that gay men are beautiful men. And even more prejudices are in favor of gays. They have a cared look. They are sympathetic. And they are caring and friendly. So it's actually a compliment for straight men. Do you think so?! ;)


Yes, but I'd take being mislabelled as female as a compliment too, if it was innocently intended.

However, being called "gay" is frequently intended as an insult. That's aggression and I don't pretend to be oblivious to that.
Daryl...
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby WesleyN » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:57 am

Often of it isn't agressively. Only just a question. And I don't mind of they think I'm gay.

{If I write it from my mobile sometimes the words are changed to a Dutch word. Than is mind changed to kind and that means: child}
Last edited by WesleyN on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:39 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby pelmut » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:38 am

Daryl wrote:
WesleyN wrote:If I wear a skirt, people sometimes think that I'm equally gay. Maybe that's because of my soft radiance too.

Then I think: women often say that gay men are beautiful men. And even more prejudices are in favor of gays. They have a cared look. They are sympathetic. And they are caring and friendly. So it's actually a compliment for straight men. Do you think so?! ;)


Yes, but I'd take being mislabelled as female as a compliment too, if it was innocently intended.

However, being called "gay" is frequently intended as an insult. That's aggression and I don't pretend to be oblivious to that.

It depends on whether they are honestly enquiring in all innocence or whether they are telling you you are gay.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby Daryl » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:51 am

pelmut wrote:
Daryl wrote:
WesleyN wrote:If I wear a skirt, people sometimes think that I'm equally gay. Maybe that's because of my soft radiance too.

Then I think: women often say that gay men are beautiful men. And even more prejudices are in favor of gays. They have a cared look. They are sympathetic. And they are caring and friendly. So it's actually a compliment for straight men. Do you think so?! ;)


Yes, but I'd take being mislabelled as female as a compliment too, if it was innocently intended.
However, being called "gay" is frequently intended as an insult. That's aggression and I don't pretend to be oblivious to that.

It depends on whether they are honestly enquiring in all innocence or whether they are telling you you are gay.


Or declaring you to be gay as a judgement not just a guess.
Daryl...
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby Daryl » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:53 am

WesleyN wrote:Often of it isn't agressively. Only just a question. And I don't mind of they think I'm gay.


I don't mind either. In fact, if it gets my dinner paid for, I'll let them think it all night. :mrgreen:
Daryl...
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Previous

Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest