Old Men ?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Old Men ?

Post by oldsalt1 »

OOOHHH did anyone see my GERITOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:OOOHHH did anyone see my GERITOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I borrowed it as I was feeling LOW! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Nevermore wrote:Hi, Just found and joined this group.
I have a few kilts and short skirts and love to wear them whenever I can.
Have found that festivals and events are way more tollerant than the everyday street but that said have never had a comment in the street.
I have read some of the posts and comments here and wanted to ask if most of the members aren't older men ?
It seems most are from the comments.
And if so why is this ?
Do younger men just wear skirts and not think it's worth mentioning or joining a group about ?
Or do they not even think of it till they get over 40 ?
and if so why ?
I'd be very interested in why this seems to be such an older mens thing
Welcome. Nice you go to festivals. I like to go festivals. Especially more days. Than I only wear skirts. But I have the experience. On festivals they are more tolerant. Indeed. And when you walk on the street most of the time you haven't another reaction than I wear a pant or something else. Which kind of festivals do you go?

I wear skirts since I was young. But I don't know why people at older age will be member of a skirts forum. Maybe I think when people are getting older, they will be less afraid who they are.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

WesleyN wrote:I wear skirts since I was young. But I don't know why people at older age will be member of a skirts forum. Maybe I think when people are getting older, they will be less afraid who they are.
I suspect it's mostly a quirk that a fairly large proportion of the guys here are "older" as there must be younger guys that wear skirts regularly. However, I can understand why older guys might be more accepting of the matter. Older guys already have most of the "difficult period" of life conveniently behind them, have reputations that they can stand on, and don't need to "prove anything" to anybody; they're comfortable with who and what they are. Younger men frequently don't have that and feel like they're swimming upstream against a flood.

Another issue may be that the forum format doesn't sit well with the younger folks who are mostly tied to Farcebook and their "smart" 'phones; you know the type: the kind that cannot maintain a conversation unless it's in "txt" mode.

I'd like to see more of the younger set here, but as is said, "One can lead a horse to water but cannot make him drink."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

People will be a member when they wants to use it or only just want to read it. I think most of us are just reading.

What are older men? Which age is that? I don't know. Nowadays you're old when you're a year 80 or 90. But in my opinion you're old when you are missing everything. When you don't have long to live. I think. The term is so relative.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

WesleyN wrote:What are older men? Which age is that? I don't know. Nowadays you're old when you're a year 80 or 90. But in my opinion you're old when you are missing everything. When you don't have long to live. I think. The term is so relative.
Old is a condition that all humans go through. However you do not have to be old. You can remain young in your heart and in your physical being. You are old when life is no longer fun for you. Age has nothing to do with it. I knew people who were in their nineties and were young. I have also met people who were in their forties and were so old that they felt they would die the next day but were in good health.

So to sum it all up you are as old as you let yourself be. :hooray: :hooray:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

weeladdie18 wrote:It is probably fair to say that many of the older members have been dressing as "men in skirts " for many years....
Perhaps one of the dreams of life is to survive long enough to give up work and explore skirt wearing as a fulltime life style.

When I reach Old Salt's age , I will have more stories to tell...........weeladdie
Why wait?

You gonna let yourself get beaten by an old man?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Like I said before, the OP lived up to his nick and did not show up for more. It looked like he dropped a rock in the pond and ran away. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Caultron wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:It is probably fair to say that many of the older members have been dressing as "men in skirts " for many years....
Perhaps one of the dreams of life is to survive long enough to give up work and explore skirt wearing as a fulltime life style.

When I reach Old Salt's age , I will have more stories to tell...........weeladdie
Why wait?

You gonna let yourself get beaten by an old man?
Old Salt Is a senior member of this forum. It is my opinion he is an inspiration to us all.
If we both survive , I will never reach his age ......................................
I feel we should all show our elders and betters the greatest of respect.........weeladdie
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I hesitate to mention this, but I've been on the wicked strong New England IPA's and it is Friday so what the heck :-)

For guys who have been with their (female) partner for many years, does the onset of menopause have a subconscious effect on the male partner that might turn years of secret skirting into something more open and above board? Similarly, does andropause have an impact upon how a man behaves with regards to skirting? I have been pondering why I've been 'in the skirting closet' so to speak for many years, yet decide to open up to my wife in my late 40's (this was before I found this site).

Another angle with regards to there being a glut of guys in their late 40's and early 50's - this is the right demographic for early(ish) enthusiastic (then late teen / early 20's) adopters of Internet technology who have bounced around from forum to forum as different topics have taken their interest. People a bit older don't do t'internet so much and those a bit younger maybe find the forum format old fashioned and are looking for something a bit more in the social meeedjya arena. So, what I'm saying is that there may be skirters of all ages about, but only a fairly narrow age band are using a forum to talk about their skirting.

More beer needed, I think :pint:
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Less beer, maybe? :lol:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FranTastic444 wrote:I hesitate to mention this, but I've been on the wicked strong New England IPA's and it is Friday so what the heck :-)
It all depends on the quality of the brew and the quantity of the brew. One or two might sharpen one's state of mind; three or more might well muddle it (+/- depending on one's own tolerance).
For guys who have been with their (female) partner for many years, does the onset of menopause have a subconscious effect on the male partner that might turn years of secret skirting into something more open and above board? Similarly, does andropause have an impact upon how a man behaves with regards to skirting?
Certainly the ageing process affects things, but I don't think it's down to meno/andropause completely. My ex was already in menopause when we met due to a hysterectomy she'd had as an emergency measure years before and only had a portion of one ovary left. I slowed down out of sympathy and to stay in sync with her. We were always joined at the mind and heart and not at the groin anyway, so it didn't matter all that much.

Regarding the skirting, that popped out of the woodwork in the early naughties and, quite naturally, she wondered what it meant? Being the intellectual type she gave it some thought and figured out -- correctly -- that it meant precisely nothing about my sexuality and accepted, even encouraged it. She later mentioned that, "That was the most worthless 15 seconds of worrying about something that I've ever wasted." The net result was a positive for the both of us; I blossomed and became aware of what I looked like, and she adored the result.
Another angle with regards to there being a glut of guys in their late 40's and early 50's - this is the right demographic for early(ish) enthusiastic (then late teen / early 20's) adopters of Internet technology who have bounced around from forum to forum as different topics have taken their interest.
That's a possibility as well, and may also dovetail into the fact that Skirt Cafe and the forum that preceded it ("Tom's Cafe") has been around since the late 1990s. Sometime in the very early 2000s, the chap who ran Tom's Cafe passed away from cancer, and the decision was undertaken to convert the original forum to new ownership, retain the old as a memorial site, and move on from there. That was the birth of Skirt Cafe. I'd "lurked" at Tom's, and later at the new Skirt Cafe, but didn't start posting anything until a couple of years after I'd adopted skirts as part of my normal wardrobe. (Tom's Cafe was born out of the USENET days when much chatter was going on in alt.fashion about guys in skirts, and a few helpful folks there, anxious to get the skirt/kilt-wearing guys out of their space helped Tom set up a forum. The rest, as they say, is history. USENET is pretty close to dead now thanks to its openness (it eventually got swamped by spam and junk, and without further utility withered away; there may be a few heavily-moderated groups thereon today, but likely not many). Some here, no doubt, likely recall the days of dialup and BBSes, which tended to function like forums do today. So there's the window.
More beer needed, I think :pint:
Hmmm... It's Saturday now, and if you're still piling it in, you might want to slow down a bit. The hangover is going to be colossal otherwise.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:Some here, no doubt, likely recall the days of dialup and BBSes, which tended to function like forums do today. So there's the window.
While I have left dial up I still belong to a BBS, actually two of them and still get QWK packets down loaded every day. While they are not dead they are few and far between. I have been on several forums but this one is one of the best operated. I like the software that this forum uses as it make it easy to move around in the forum. There are also very few problems when it comes to using it. :thumright:

Fred
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I feel that those of us who are old enough to retire have been following the " Men in Skirts "
webb sites for years.... Our curiousity and approach to skirt wearing has brought greater confidence
as we meet more enthusiasm from those who share our style of attire
and have more time to consider what garments will make a good skirt outfit in their mature years.

At Halloween, I was sitting under the potted palm at the Skirt Café .
A great watering hole which attracts like minded skirt wearers.....
I was served a..... black " Witch Lattee " .....

" Which lattee is this ? " , .......I asked.....
"Yes , sir " .... came the prompt reply......
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

First I will say this, you are only as old as you feel/act.
I have know people that are in the 60 or 70 that are fun and energetic and a pleasure to be around and i have known 40 year olds that are about as fun as a wet blanket.

so mabe this cafe is mostly old men talking about wearing skirts and such, so what? it's possible the younger guys may just have not had the chance to find us, Skirt Cafe is well tucked away on the web, I forget now what it was I searched that produced Skirt Cafe in the search results, I know it was down deep in there somewhere, (I went on a year long MIS web binge trying to find/read every article, story, blog on or about male skirt wearing, for or against and everything in between. It was at least 3/4 thru that year of searching when I found Skirt Cafe.

They cold be here lurking, just not sure if they want to join, or what to say.
In your teens and 20s family and friends are very important to us, and what they think. As a teen I tried to breach the skirt topic with my mom many times, but never found the words. she did see me dressed, and help me with makeup for my Halloween costume a 1950 sock hop girl in a poodle skirt, without words spoken, I could tell it caused her worry, and what looked like pain, so I enjoyed that night as much as I could, and then determined to not push the skirt topic further.
Now knowing what I know I would have approached my mom with skirts differently.

i'm in my early 40s, been wearing skirts underground for over 20 years. before internet and social media, for the longest time, I felt like I was the only one.
then the internet came around a few years later, then I found out I was not the only one with skirted likings. unfortunately I shoved myself into the cross dressing box because that's all I Found for years. over the years I tried dressing the part, a wig, lipstick, fake boobs, dresses, etc. However I NEVER really enjoyed it, always at home, the few times I worked up the nerve and went out in public I was a nervous wreck. one time so much so, I physically made myself sick.( I got sick on another occasion, not in the story above)

I wish I had found Skirt Cafe years and years ago, and found out a man can wear a skirt as a man. the world likes to try to put those who don't quite "fit" into a box and hide us away. I wasted about 18 years of my life trying to fit into someone else's box. with the help of this cafe and its members, I declare I'm a man who likes to wear kilts and skirts, nothing more, nothing less. ( I tossed all of the CD stuff and have not looked back since.) Fin
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.