Old Men ?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Nevermore

Old Men ?

Post by Nevermore »

Hi, Just found and joined this group.
I have a few kilts and short skirts and love to wear them whenever I can.
Have found that festivals and events are way more tollerant than the everyday street but that said have never had a comment in the street.
I have read some of the posts and comments here and wanted to ask if most of the members aren't older men ?
It seems most are from the comments.
And if so why is this ?
Do younger men just wear skirts and not think it's worth mentioning or joining a group about ?
Or do they not even think of it till they get over 40 ?
and if so why ?
I'd be very interested in why this seems to be such an older mens thing
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Old Men ?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Welcome to SkirtCafe Nevermore. You have asked a question I can not answer but maybe some of our more enlightened can. In the meanwhile draw up a chair and have a cuppa and join in on any conversation that tickles your fancy.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

As one of the older members of the cafe. :roll: :roll: It seems to me that a lot of the members are in their late 60'0 early 70's there seems to be a recent influx of younger members which is great.

I can't say why there are so many older members. . Could be that we have all reached a point in life where we are tired of doing whats expected and are going to do what we want.

could be that we just don't give a flying F--k about what people think.

Could be that many of us have a few less restrictions about jobs.

This is just a blind stab but I think that if you averaged the ages of say the 25 most active members you would probably end up about 60 years old
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

oldsalt1 wrote: Could be that we have all reached a point in life where we are tired of doing whats expected and are going to do what we want.
And have aged to the point where if you are going to make changes, you have limited time left to make them.

Hello, Nevermore.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There is a post in the Introductions where we have indicated our ages. Have a butchers.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Sinned wrote:There is a post in the Introductions where we have indicated our ages. Have a butchers.
There goes that 2 countries separated the same language What the hell is "butchers" :?: :lol: :lol:
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Sinned wrote:There is a post in the Introductions where we have indicated our ages. Have a butchers.
There goes that 2 countries separated the same language What the hell is "butchers" :?: :lol: :lol:
Rhyming slang: butchers -> butcher's hook -> look :lol:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Hello Nevermore. I know that your junior member designation relates to your number of posts and I asume from the term old men that you are a younger man. I am in my mid 60's and consider old men to be somewhat older than me, so it is a relative term. Your observation is correct and question regarding demographics, interesting. Something I too have thought about and don't know the answer but put forward some hypotheses:
1. A lot of young guys are influenced by peer group pressure and not many wear skirts.
2. A lot of mature men's peers are dead or too feeble to apply pressure.
3. A lot of young people are trying to attract a mate and care what others think.
4. A lot of mature men have got over worriying what people think and do what they always wanted to do.
5. The greater the years, the greater the chance of trying on a skirt.
6. Young people have no issue with wearing something different or wayout and don't need to join a forum to gain confidence.
7. Testosterone levels decrease with age and men become more feminine.
8. Increasing dementure lowers inhibitions.
9. With age comes increasing wisdom to wear comfortable things and confidence to be one's self.
10. Young men are more into fashion and skirts are not fashionable at present.

I think it is a number of things that coincide at middle age. Ahh:
11. Mid-life crisis.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

With me; I didn't really try a skirt until about 4 years ago, was hooked immediately and thanks to a forum like this quickly got over the hurdle of wearing in public - everywhere.
If I discovered skirts 30 years ago, I would not have had this sort of support and probably not the confidence to wear in public - and there is no fun skulking around in private.
Also I think there is increasing acceptance to different things due to advances in communications technology.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

That's a great list of reasons, denimini, and I'm sure some combination applies to all of us. There's certainly no single explanation.

I tell people, "One good thing about being an old man is that you get to be a crazy old man," which equates to your #4.

There's also some merit to, "If not now, when?"

The bit about decreasing testosterone levels has occurred to me as well. I don't believe there's any direct physical relationship between testosterone and clothing styles, but the lowering of one's physical masculinity might in some cases lead to choices customarily associated with the opposite sex. Like (oversimplifying), "Oh, I'm not as masculine anymore, how should I act and dress in view of that?"

Then again, many here have reported wanting to wear skirts since as early as boyhood.

A few days ago I spotted a guy maybe 30 years old shopping at Target in a black ankle-length skirt with sandals. He was headed away from me and I didn't chase him down to talk but I doubt if low testosterone levels were in play.

So there's no one reason.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Caultron wrote: There's also some merit to, "If not now, when?"

Then again, many here have reported wanting to wear skirts since as early as boyhood.

For older men, the alternative to now might well be never.

Yes, some people had a boyhood secret-interest in trying the forbidden, but keeping that interest to themselves.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Testosterone may dwindle as the years go by, but male pattern baldness is a pretty masculine sign!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

skirtyscot wrote:Testosterone may dwindle as the years go by, but male pattern baldness is a pretty masculine sign!
Ha ha, good point.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

skirtyscot wrote:Testosterone may dwindle as the years go by, but male pattern baldness is a pretty masculine sign!
Of course the real truth is that you know you have reached old age when you have more hair growing out of your ears than on the top of your head.

Or was it that the second thing to when you get old is your memory? Now what was that first thing again????

Oops. Sorry about that folks, I told you my memory is going.......Where did it go now....Hmmmmm.......
Last edited by hoborob on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hoborob wrote:...Of course the real truth is that you know you have reached old age when you have more hair growing out of your than on teh top of your head...
Growing out of your what?

I suppose either nose or ears but that's not definitive...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron