Old Men ?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Old Men ?

Post by Kirbstone »

Fred,

Try RM Anderson. I think he's the oldest Forum contributor right now.

Anyway, This month I pass yet another unwanted milestone and on the 'Many happy returns' ticket I've officially named it my 59th. All subsequent such milestones, if I'm around to celebrate them, will also be 'my 59th' 8)

Tom

P.S. You doubtless remember Victor Borge, Danish-American concert pianist and amazing musical joker and prankster. I will try to paraphrase one of his jokes: 'Last Saturday we celebrated my old great-uncle Joe's one hundred-and-second birthday.........Applause.......Unfortunately Great Uncle Joe wasn't able to attend this celebration and we went ahead anyway without him.......... You see,...... he died when he was twenty-eight!!!'

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

When I was in my twenties fifty looked old. When I was in my forties seventy looked old. Now I’m approaching the seven oh. I hope to be in a position to have an opinion about 110.
I’m still flattered when younger people express disbelief when I tell them my age. It’s all in the jeans (sic) or maybe skirts
:roll:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Shilo,
You probably keep yourself very fit & trim.. Hides the age, no end.

My reciepe is to stay active. At 78 I still work 4 & a half days a week chipping away at 'The Face'...I'm a toothwright or fang-farrier by trade or Persuasion and I love it.
During the lockdown we were allowed deal with dental emergencies and three of us alternated a day each per week to keep punters happy and the Practice open. Since last week we were allowed re-open and we hit the ground running. I had to fight to keep last Friday afternoon free so I could get a few non-dental things done. Same this week and I'm looking forward to my 'free' Friday afternoon.

Good news too on the galley-slaving front (It's what I do for exercise/sport)...From sometime this month we'll be allowed out on the water in single sculls....no crew rowing, alas, but it's gotta be pointing in the right direction.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kirbstone on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 pm[...] fang-farrier [...]
That turn of phrase alone has paid me off for the care-and-feeding of the Skirt Cafe "critter" for the past year. The outright laughter set in less than 20 milliseconds after my eyes scanned the above text, and I am still chucking about it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah Carl !

Thanks for that. That job description was first coined in my presence by a revered sailor Scot, one Dan (Jock) McIlroy in the Leather Bottle pub near where we lived in Hampshire half a lifetime go. I was very amused at the time. We used to meet on Friday evenings after work for an hour or so. Very convivial. He had already competed in the Fastnet race five times when I met him and he once remarked (with a few drams on board) that 'I've washed more salt water out o' my socks than you've seen in yerr lifetime'.

He was a member of a syndicate which owned a one-ton racer and was a serious competitive offshore sailor....engineer by trade, actually. His notes and photographs were invaluable to us later on when we did a 'Fastnet plus' to Ballinskelligs & back in our little Westerley GK29. Just cruising, of course.

Chucking or chuckling ?...and incidentally, the Forum 'critter' is doing fine on your careful nourishment, appreciated by us all. Don't go getting old, now! We need you to stick around for a bit.....

Tom
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Ah KB anything but. Especially this am with the weather changing and being stupid enough to spend a day working in the garden my arthritis makes me feel as if I’m already 110.
I’ve reverted to jeans and a long sleeve shirt to warm my limbs up. Maybe tomorrow after the Tramadol kicks in.
:roll:
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hello Nevermore

Although a member of this forum my infrequent login, last time was 7 months ago, I do not think I have the authority to say welcome to the forum. What I will say is pleased to meet yet another man in a skirt and hope this forum gives you more confidence and encouragement and enlightenment to questions you may have away from age and old men!

Age seems to have taken this thread down that avenue and I did not read beyond page 2! You are as old as you want to be and as young as you want to be. I do not think of age until my Doctor makes reference to it and thankfully those visits are rare. I have no idea of age range or groupings on this forum but if the majority are "older men" then maturity brings experience. For the young ones who do not wear skirts, and I do include women here, they do not know what they are missing, or perhaps they do may come the reply. I am not a member of TikTok but I do hear they are many videos of young men in skirts. Perhaps not the style of the old men on this forum but the younger generation always do things different to us older generation. Just remembered my age, 56 and I do not consider my self old man, but entering my prime!

I do walk in skirts, most of my amateur building hobby, not my one day a week garden for clients due practical reasons but unless their is a reason that trousers are the item then in all other aspects of life I will always have a skirt on. Skirts hang in my wardrobe, the odd trousers under the bed!

I find getting out and about in the real world in skirts, is the best way to be seen as a man in a skirt, acknowledged and respected than on social media and I do spend most of my time in the real world promoting men in skirts, mostly in silence but providing the presence. I do not ignore social media as that is yet another opening but meeting someone behind a screen is not the same as meeting someone in person and dispelling any preconceived thoughts of a man in a skirt unlike for women in trousers.

After today may be a while before I return to SkirtCafe but one never knows. I keep saying I will pop back more frequently but...

Keep wearing that skirt.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.