greetings all from northern Indiana

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: greetings all from northern Indiana

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Now now lets be nice here :lol: . but I do have a question for you Moon, What were you doing when you started to have a conversation with two women in your skirt??? :hide: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hide:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Thankyou all for the many welcomes and many tips.
When I posted here for the first time, I didn't think Id get many responses.
I think I'm gonna like it here ;) and getting into skirts. I look forward to future dialogue with you.
Many thanks. Let's keep it going.
Also love some of your signatures, I'm hoping to come up with something witty soon.

Mishawakaskirt. @2wayskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:You mentioning driving in a skirt, I have done that also, for several 70 mile trips and a bunch trips around town even some short as two or three miles ( yea, I' ve got it bad)
sometimes I feel like Clark Kent, however we can all be glad we don't need a phone booth to change in. I did see a pay phone, the only one I think I have seen in ten years, last year at White water state park, down east of INDY. Didn't check to see if it worked, wow, blast from the past.
Well then, you have been out in public! Or did you just drive around and never get out of the car?

Either way, it seems the next step would be to get out and visit more and more places - gas stations, convenience stores, shopping malls, whatever you can cope with. It only gets easier and easier.

Just be sure to act as if you were wearing shorts. People will react much more strongly to cringing and cowering than to anything you wear.

Oh, and welcome to the group!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I have pumped gas one time in a skirt, was out driving, didn't feel like putting p@nt$ on, however it was winter, so I pulled my hood up good and tight, jumped out and pumped some gas.
I also have parked my car on the side of a country road and taken several very short walks, in winter and fall, I hope to take several summer walks. Being inside in a skirt is one thing, being out side with a breeze or chilly day. What a amazing diffrent feeling. The thing I want to try the most, is wear a skirt to the beach. And do it all, feel the hot sun and sand, the breeze, go swimming in my skirt, and then walk around in it until it dries out.

Any one got a private beach? I can borrow :)
I'm not quite ready for the whole world to see this man in a skirt. :(
Mishawkaskirt. @2wayskirt

Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...I'm not quite ready for the whole world to see this man in a skirt...
Well then, keep working on it until you're ready to be seen. I'm sure you'll eventually find that the problems are almost entirely your own fear and trepidation and not the perception of others.

Drive 20 miles away and get out to buy gas or to get a drink from a convenience store or something.

Go somewhere that's already counter-cultural or freethinking like a tattoo convention, comicon, art fair, or Celtic festival.

Just relax, act as though you're not wearing a skirt, and do it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

mishawakaskirt wrote:II'm not quite ready for the whole world to see this man in a skirt...
Mishawkaskirt. @2wayskirt
That won't happen; even on a busy street; chances are many fewer people will notice that you are a man in a skirt than you expect. If you are just walking or doing other normal things, and wearing a fairly plain skirt, people's peripheral vision will often identify that as "a guy in shorts". I've had conversations with strangers, and after a while I mention something about the skirt, and the person (or people) look down and say "Oh! I didn't even notice!"
And even if others see that you are actually wearing a skirt, it's pretty much a non-issue for many. I've had some obvious glances, but usually no reaction, and sometimes compliments. Anyway, welcome, and enjoy perusing the many threads of the forum!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

mishawakaskirt wrote:The thing I want to try the most, is wear a skirt to the beach. And do it all, feel the hot sun and sand, the breeze, go swimming in my skirt, and then walk around in it until it dries out.

Any one got a private beach? I can borrow :)
I'm not quite ready for the whole world to see this man in a skirt. :(
I have a pond, and it has a small beach, so sure, come see me in MN.

Welcome to the forum. I am also new here, and enjoy it very much. It's an interesting group. Nice word, "interesting". Many meanings.

I too am looking forward to wearing a skirt at the beach. I have a trip planned this Fall with a group of great folks who I am sure will be fine with my wearing a skirt, and we're going to end the trip at Myrtle Beach. I am hoping that it is still warm enough to give me an excuse to wear the clothing I have picked out, including an incredibly comfortable top that will be just the ticket for hot weather. I don't have exactly the right skirt yet to match with it, but may shop for it there. Even later in the season I would expect to find Summer gear at Myrtle Beach.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

skirtingtheissue wrote: I've had conversations with strangers, and after a while I mention something about the skirt, and the person (or people) look down and say "Oh! I didn't even notice!"
I'm currently reading a book, (Skeptic by Michael Shermer, which is a collection of his essays from Scientific American. One essay is about perceptual-blindness and recounts an experiment where a film was shown to subjects and they were asked if they noticed the man in the gorilla suit that walked through the scene in the film. 50% did not.
You can see the video yourself at http://www.simonslab.com/videos.html
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah I remember that one. I did see the gorilla but only because I was concentrating hard for something unusual. There have been lots of other experiments where the presenters on a show have changed colour tops after a cutaway or the backdrop has been changed and people haven't noticed. Reduced my faith in eye witness testimony, I can tell you.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Sinned wrote:Reduced my faith in eye witness testimony, I can tell you.
A friend of mine is a policeman working in traffic. He once commented to me that after taking a few witness statements after road accidents he now seriously questions anything presented as historical fact.

The gorilla suit experiment completely justifies his suspicion that most people only see a tiny fraction of what is in front of them.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

In terms of hearing I always say that you only hear half of what's said, understand half of what you hear and remember half of what you understand. I'm sure it applies to vision as well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

It has been proven time and time again that people are unreliable as "eyewitnesses", in test after test details are often incorrect and in some cases actions were reported that did not occur at all. It has been proven that as long as something blends with the background it is often unseen, however a bold and attention grabbing action is always remembered. More often than not you could move through a crowd and go completely unnoticed if you are wearing something plain even if it's a skirt or dress. But a flamboyant piece of clothing will attract attention and be remembered.

Now the problem is that for someone that knows you they will pick up on your clothing choices as you will look out of place for them. You are much more likely to be asked about your clothing choices by an associate that by a stranger, unless you are bright, bold and "In your Face" with what you are wearing.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

busted by the wife.

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Last Thursday, we were packing for a trip (June 30th 2016) I had given her a bunch of pants and shorts in a pile to pack for our trip. Apparently that was not enough. And while I was at work she went to get more pants off our. Clothes shelf, this was apparent when I got home, because when I got home from work I found a denim skirt on the shelf askew, that I had put there intentionally for her to fine up. I have been wanting to bring up this topic with her, thinking that might be a good way to let it come up rather than bring it up. What's bad about it is she found it right befor our trip, when we really don't have the time to talk about it :( had a very brief onesided arguement, from her on how guys are supposed to not wear ladies things things of any kind. I didn't want to get a heated battle going, because I needed this trip to go well and not be full of tension or hatred. I'm hoping she isn't planning something, It's almost like she didn't Fight enough with me. Been waiting for the otther boot to drop :( hope she don't tell family or the church or destroy my clothes. Oh the very same day she also fund my kilt and skirts I had hidden in the car in a bag with tools and jumper cables. Those were I thought well hidden :(
that bag I snatched away from her and made it vanish before she saw the skirted
Contents of the bag. So she knows I have at least two skirts and one kilt. And found them on the same day! So nervous :( :( :( what is she planing ?

mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Sinned wrote:Yeah I remember that one. I did see the gorilla but only because I was concentrating hard for something unusual. There have been lots of other experiments where the presenters on a show have changed colour tops after a cutaway or the backdrop has been changed and people haven't noticed. Reduced my faith in eye witness testimony, I can tell you.

I have not seen the gorrilla suit example. I will have to look for that. But I know what you mean.
When I was a teen, we used to have car washes to raise money, we would stand out by the road with signs to attract people, I was amazed at the amount of people that would drive by, never evereven glance over at us on the curb with signs. Second example at a event our police department held, a car was driven past our group of on lookers, later we were asked questions about the care we saw, we got the color right, but couldn't agree on the make.of the car, sex of thdriver, licence plate number etc. In general people are poor at situational awareness.
Something we need to work at, Its good to know when you go some place where exits, fire extinguishers, first aid, AEDs ,etc.are.
Mishawakaskirt. @ 2wayskirt on Twitter

Mishawkaskirt. @2wayskirt on Twitter

Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

This will probably be a difficult situation because you're in trouble for two things at once: (1) wearing women's skirts and (2) hiding something from her.

You know best how to resolve conflicts with your wife; I presume you've been doing it for some years. Think back as to what works and do it, probably slowly, but don't let the situation fester, either.

You will need to apologize for hiding this from her. Say you're sorry and assure her you won't hide things from her again.

As to the skirts, when you're both calmed down and are ready to talk about it, explain that this is a desire you've had for a long time (assuming that's true) and that you hid if from her because you were afraid she wouldn't like it (assuming that's true). Then explain that this is something you still feel the need to do, and after all this time, it's not something that's going to go away (assuming that's the case). It may help to explain that you have no desire to look entirely like a woman, no interest in bras, wigs, makeup, and so forth (assuming that's true). You don't want a sex change. You just like the idea of wearing a skirt. Then see if you can work out some kind of agreement: you're allowed to have a few skirts in your closet or drawers, for starters. Maybe they have to be of a certain type, such as kilts, knee-length, midi, maxim, denim or whatever. Then set some rules on when you can wear them. Only inside the house, for example, or only far from the house, or whatever, and how often. Give her some comfort in a sense of control and limitations.

Then follow those rules.

Then over a period probably of years, gently push the envelope.

On your trip, do some nice things occasionally and gently tell her it's because you're sorry.

But you know your wife best.

caultron