Hello from Georgia

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Jetblasted

Hello from Georgia

Post by Jetblasted »

Glad I found this forum. I was really surprised to see so many like-minded men. I've wanted for many many years to find something comfortable to wear around the house. I complained the last couple of years to my wife that my house shorts and/or pajama bottoms always would be very uncomfortable. The only ones I could find that were not a pain to wear, would be ones that were way too big. I mention something "like a skirt" to my wife. At first she was seriously skeptical, but after several frank conversations about just how practical a "house skirt" is, she one day took it upon herself to cut out the bottoms of two pairs of old gym shorts that I wore all the time. On first wearing I thought she was a genius, and I've worn them "constantly" around the house for the last 18 months. We recently bought a house & I haven't thought twice about wearing while doing yard work. I wore them 24/7 on weekends & staycations. Extremely comfortable to wear to bed, and then wake-up to start my day. The comfort level of them even had me wearing them on non-public outings, road-trips, and such. Well, their constant use, they have started showing their age with wear & tear, and I asked her to go to the thrift-store to see if she could find an actual skirt for me to wear around the house. I hated at first breaching that gender line, as my manly gym shirts I at least felt comfortable with. Well, she came home with two! LoL ... They were both long & she cut them both off at the knee. I'm very very surprised at just how comfortable these feel. Just amazing!! ... I live in a small Southern town that I was raised in, and just imagine how ostracized I would be if I did venture out for public outings such as grocery shopping etc., but damn I wish there weren't societal constraints because I'm just blown away at the comfort level I feel wearing skirts. Now, in no way shape or form am I a cross-dresser, or gender-queer, etc. In fact, I've been accused on more than one occasion of being red-neck, and that's Ok. I'm sure my hunting buddies would kick me out of the deer camp if I wore one of these around the camp-fire, LoL, but they damn sure feel great. I personally can't stand the binding & heat that flannel PJ bottoms create. Now, I'm not bragging, LoL, but I have really large testicles, and they bind & catch, and such in boxer shorts, pants etc. I "always" have to "readjust" while at work in pants, and usually have to do so while finding something to hide behind so not to look like I'm doing that move "in view".
Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Georgia

Post by Gordon »

Welcome to a great forum. You just might be surprised at your willingness to venture into public view in the future. I once thought that I would never wear a skirt outside my own house and yard. But here I am eating lunch in a busy McDonald's wearing a black knit skirt.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Gordon wrote:Welcome to a great forum. You just might be surprised at your willingness to venture into public view in the future. I once thought that I would never wear a skirt outside my own house and yard. But here I am eating lunch in a busy McDonald's wearing a black knit skirt.
And I was in a Harris-Teeter supermarket and Dunkin Donuts for coffee today, after the beach, in a Koppen black stretch mini, Chacos, and a tee shirt. Little reaction, though I'm sure I was well-noticed.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to this forum - best bunch of characters ever. Without them I wouldn't be where I am today skirtingwise. Just been to fill up with petrol in my denim miniskirt and didn't feel any qualms about doing so. I know it has been said so many times here - people just don't care what you wear. You may have to be patient and explain a few times about the comfort and so on but eventually they'll get it. The toughest nut to crack are generally those closest to you - if you have those on your side then the rest is a breeze. Have confidence and good luck.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

It is a revelation, is it not? "Why did I not try this before?"

Not all men are as discrete as you, Jet, hiding before adjusting your pants. So many do it quite openly, ample proof that trousers were not made for men, and that even if they have awkward bits of skin in there, they have not the balls to get unbifurcated.

Martin
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome to skirt cafe from a former resident of Georgia -- about 10 years in Comer, near Athens. I appreciate your story; I have the same opinions about comfort. Maybe you could invest in a manly utility kilt to wear with your hunting buddies?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Jetblasted wrote:...I live in a small Southern town that I was raised in, and just imagine how ostracized I would be if I did venture out for public outings...
I think you'll find that the ostracism you fear is a hundred time greater than any negative reactions you'd actually get.

The only hard part is gathering the confidence and bravado to carry it off the first few times. Like, "Yeah, I know it's a little weird, but I'm just trying it out and having a little fun with it."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Well done in taking those first few steps and welcome to this forum!

Going "OUTSIDE" is not at all as bad as you think - thr anticipated adverse comments, snide remarks, laughter does NOT exist. It is really all in your head. Folks will notice, but most don't bother in the slightest as you will find out reading articles posted here.

In fact the "First Time" outside the home will be such a non-event you will wonder what all the fuss was about. My own first time was just that - a non-event! One person had a double-take but that was all. THere is a section called "First Time" here on thie firum which you should read. http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... =2&t=16066

Hope to hear more of your progress in this adventure.

Good idea getting a utility kilt for your hunting buddies - that at least is a MAN-skirt, I have a couple of them (one black and one beige), which I wear with my curling mates - one fellow has said, "Still wearing that skirt I see" so he was OK with it, and another (a woman) commented, "Looking very trendy today!" which was great!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Thanks, all.

I have been to the gas station a few times in the skirt. I cut my lawn all the time while wearing it. I went to the gas station the other night wearing it & while standing in line I realized the place was full of drunks buying beer (late Saturday night) and I got uncomfortable & left.

One of the skirts my wife bought me is a wrap skirt & it's so comfortable its Devine. I hate having to take it off. LoL.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Yesterday while the wife was at work I had several errands to run & I was sadly not skirted. I always wear my skirts under my shorts so as soon as I am home, I just take the shorts off & I'm skirted again. As a joke, I took my shorts off on the way home & when I got home my wife immediately noticed my haircut & started talking about it, and the errands I ran. She didn't say a word about the skirt. She's so used to seeing me in it. LoL. I slowly shifted the conversation, mentioning that there was a Lane Bryant beside the hair cut shop, and she asked me if I went shopping, which I did not. I told her that a kilt might be more publicly acceptable, which she agreed, but she turned up her nose at the notion because she likes the way my new skit looks on me much better. LoL. That in its self is a good thing. I'm leaning towards a utility kilt for outings, but theyre just too darned expensive, compared to a $5 skirt at the thrift store.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

Caultron wrote: The only hard part is gathering the confidence and bravado to carry it off the first few times. Like, "Yeah, I know it's a little weird, but I'm just trying it out and having a little fun with it."
I understand the sentiment of trying to use self-deprecating humor to relax an awkward situation, but I really try to avoid saying anything like that. By saying such a thing, you are suggesting that it's ok to find it weird. It's not. If I were to say anything like that, I'd not use the word "weird" but instead the word "unusual", which has no pejorative connotations. To me, what's truly weird is that so few men wear skirts or are even open to trying them.

Welcome, Jetblasted.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Jim2 wrote:...I understand the sentiment of trying to use self-deprecating humor to relax an awkward situation, but I really try to avoid saying anything like that. By saying such a thing, you are suggesting that it's ok to find it weird. It's not. If I were to say anything like that, I'd not use the word "weird" but instead the word "unusual", which has no pejorative connotations. To me, what's truly weird is that so few men wear skirts or are even open to trying them...
Weird, odd, goofy, nuts, unusual, bonkers, whatever. It's your choice. The point is to be friendly and defuse the situation.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Your story is one of inspiration. I like the fact that you identify as a "red neck" who does red neck things like hunt, fish, etc. We need more of that type of southern American men to realize that skirts simply are better for us. Like you said, its not about crossdressing, its about comfort and self expression. Most of us here, myself included have no desire to look like a woman, and many (again myself included) try to maintain a masculine look, even if the tag does say "WOMEN'S".

I would like to see a day when skirts are just as much a mens garment as trousers are for women.

Welcome to the board!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.