Hello from Mid Wales!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
thecritic06

Hello from Mid Wales!

Post by thecritic06 »

Hi to everyone from Aberystwyth in beautiful but tedious Ceredigion, Wales! Since learning about what gender really meant and hanging around with a lot of fringe individuals, I've become increasingly dissatisfied with the rules imposed on me as a man about my presentation. I bought some skirts for the first time lately, and I'm excited to break free of convention and express myself and be comfortable in what I wear, hopefully with your help. I'm 23, and a bi cis man (though perhaps tending genderqueer - we'll see). I'm interested in clothes, though not in a fashion sense as much as in terms of the social engineering surrounding them. I'd like to wear a variety of things, not just skirts but really anything that takes my fancy, perhaps including makeup too. It's great to see a space on the internet for men who feel similar contempt for society's idiotic restrictions, particularly given how narrow they are. I can't help but wonder how different I would be if I grew up somewhere where men wore non-trousers all the time. Anyway, I'd love to chat to as many of you as possible and look forward to being part of the community.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Mid Wales!

Post by Gordon »

Welcome aboard. I feel the same as you. We should be able to wear what we want. I wear a skirt frequently on the weekends, when not at work. I occasionally wear a little make-up also; a hint of eyeliner and mascara. I wear fingernail and toe polish 24/7 and have for about a year now. I've actually gotten some positive feedback on the polish, or were they just being polite? I'll never know I guess.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, thecritic06! You've found kindred spirits,
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hello and good to see another man, who wants to break the labels and stereotyping society still placed upon men with regards clothing. Freedom of expression & choice does apply to all. I have had many contacts from men via my website www.theskirtedman.eu expressing their preference for skirts and breaking the expectation of male clothing but cannot have the courage to do so. It is always down to peer pressure from society family members, and partners.

I'm not a regular contributor to this forum but do look in every other week or so. You will get a lot of support from this forum.

I wear clothing that society still labels as womens wear with regards men. I am in them most of the time, exceptions being hill walking, most aspects of my DIY work at home but do clean DIY work in skirts eg electrics carpentry etc. I'm a self employed land worker, primarily gardening so practicalities prevent skirt wearing for my work. Apart from that I'm in a skirt, be it dentists, doctors, social events, holidays, shopping, family gatherings etc.

I went out and about in skirts in public in 2011 and generally accepted well. My self employment didn't suffer when the locals found out and the locals who spoke to me before still do plus others! Even made friends since being known as the man in a skirt.

You will encounter the occasional negativity but then that's human intelligence. Anybody who is different for what ever reason from 'normal' society gets it. Still from our aspect, man in a skirt, it has brightened up some ones dull day.

Not being able to be your real self, especially being suppressed by others one sided and selfish expectations is not healthy.

Keep up the good work.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

LGG wrote: I wear fingernail and toe polish 24/7 and have for about a year now. I've actually gotten some positive feedback on the polish, or were they just being polite? I'll never know I guess.
I've had my nails done professionally for almost eight years. I started with just my fingers, done with clear polish, and added the toes after about six months. The toes were first done in pale color but I soon went with more robust colors. Since I generally wear sandals (no socks) on the weekends, plenty of people have seen them and I can't recall any negative comments. Some positive comments, a couple of conversations and lots of people who look down and continue on their way. After a period of time wearing clear on my fingers, I moved on to assorted sheer or pale colors. About a year and a half ago I started having them done in various richer colors. I get positive comments on them all the time both from some women I work with and counter staff in stores and at the bank.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Welcome, thecritic06. Let us know how you get on, how your friends and family react, etc. You'll always find support and good advice here.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair