Hello

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
neiljerram

Hello

Post by neiljerram »

Hello, Neil Jerram here, from London UK. I've just started reading the forum a little, so thought I should introduce myself. I've been a cross-dresser for basically ever, but never in the sense of trying to fool anyone into thinking I was a woman, with growing confidence through the years. Right now, at 47, I go out and about regularly wearing a skirt, and am no longer bothered about trying to hide this aspect of myself from those that know me, but also still sensitive in case anyone might feel strongly upset by it - actually so far no one has indicated that they are. There are still situations where I can't or don't wear a skirt, but increasingly my experience is that whenever I feel that something would be utterly outrageous or impossible, I find myself doing it just a few months later... :)

I guess that'll do for now - looking forward to contributing occasionally here.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello

Post by Sinned »

Welcome Nl, If you've read many of the threads and posts you'll find a pleasant like-minded population here with a variety of tastes in dress and accompaniments. We don't always agree on aspects but then we don't condemn either. Taste is as much individual as is sex and gender. This is not a site for cross-dressers but we are liberal in what we accept in the line between what's accepted as female and male. I hope that you make contributions on the site as it's interesting to hear about your experiences and what your OH and family think about your unusual tastes. MOH is not accepting outside of the house even though I do wear a skirt outside when she isn't about. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, Neil, and rest assured, you've found kindred spirits.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
neiljerram

Post by neiljerram »

Many thanks for your response, Sinned. Just to be clear, for me "cross-dresser" is a broad term that does not have to mean "trying to look like a woman" (although it certainly does include that as one of its subsets). For what I do, I'm equally happy to say skirt-wearing (or perhaps skirt-rocking, which is neat as Rock is also German for skirt, I believe) or genderfuck, if that chimes better with folk here. The point is that I look like a man but like wearing skirts, and other clothes outside the very small box that is considered normal for modern Western men.

FWIW my MOH is generally supportive (and I probably won't write more about that as I wouldn't want to breach her privacy) - thanks for asking!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Neil!

What's your style? By cross-dressing do you mean more than just a skirt? Here we have the full range from Kilties upwards, but all presenting as men.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
neiljerram

Post by neiljerram »

Caultron wrote:Welcome, Neil, and rest assured, you've found kindred spirits.
Thank you!
neiljerram

Post by neiljerram »

skirtyscot wrote:Hello and welcome, Neil!
Thank you!
skirtyscot wrote:What's your style? By cross-dressing do you mean more than just a skirt? Here we have the full range from Kilties upwards, but all presenting as men.
Definitely presenting as a man, yes. If I'm 'cross-dressing' in public, that almost always means a skirt, and I like those a bit below the knee, or longer than that. Also I like skirts with more movement and colour to them than the straight denim / canvas / cargo style: I have a couple of kilts (one men's, one women's), and other skirts in cotton or evening-y materials. My non-standard 'style' also includes Indian kurtas, as my family has Indian connections. Most of those are men's, so not cross-dressing - although they sometimes draw similar looks/interest as if I was cross-dressing - but I do have one that I think is women's. I do also have some dresses, but haven't yet worked out if and how to try those in public...; the upper part of women's clothing is often much more tellingly feminine, in its neck and sleeve lines as well as the most obvious reason - and hence harder or odder for men to wear - than the skirt part below.

Does that answer your question? Please do feel free to ask further!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Hello! :D Based on the descriptions given, I believe that the term "free styler" would apply.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If I were to wear a dress I think it would be mono-colour, sleeveless, knee length with a high neckline and I would wear a jumper on top so that you only really see the skirt part of the dress. Not comfortable yet with anything else but a skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hello Neil.

As has been said on this forum there are many differing tastes, styles and interpretations. I have a saying that I like "be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy".

I am intrigued that you identify as a cross dresser. Don't. You are simply a man in a skirt, no different to women in trousers and other male style clothing. With regards cross dressing, who is the cross dresser really in this modern era? The vast majority of women are now trouser plus based 24/7 including formal occasions. To be a cross dresser, that means wearing clothing of the opposite sex, with women you must put on trousers and traditional male style clothing. As society expects men to remain within its fixed expected male style clothing the cross dresser is and can only be the modern woman.

With regards skirts and clothing on the top half of the body. I wear whatever suits me and for what I may be doing. I too wear skirts below the knee, calf length and slightly longer. Anywhere between 89cm and 99 cm. I am 2m in height! I also do not shy away from tops and cardigans that society insist on still calling womens wear. I too prefer colour, character, personality and a bit of flow but I certainly do not consider myself a cross dresser, transgender or basically trying to imitate a woman. Those who do or are transgender I respect them, but it is not me.

MOH is also very supportive of what I do and men in skirts or whatever clothing both genders prefer and never tells me to go in trousers, that is my decision. She was apprehensive when she realised I had to go public back in early 2011 but only because of fear of the unknown that the public at large would rebel. It hasn't and our life is far more the richer in many aspects. My self employment expanded and our friend base increased. Some members of the public make an issue of it but they are the small minority and to date I have not had any direct intimidation, just one off comment or the odd giggle and these few are 99.9% women in their modern day dress code and freedom of choice.

I'm pleased to hear of another man who wants to break away from the society label of the male dress code. You like other similar men are "free stylers".

Freedom of choice applies to all. You be yourself and enjoy the support of your other half and like minded people.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hear! Hear!

I could not have put it better myself SkirtedMan

Neil, Just to reiterate, a man who wears a skirt and who is NOT trying to pass off as a woman is absolutely NOT a cross-dresser - no more than a woman in trousers (as her normal wardrobe) is! He is an individual - quite unusual and as rare as "hen's teeth" as my granny used to say but that's it. Nothing more!

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sinned wrote:If I were to wear a dress I think it would be mono-colour, sleeveless, knee length with a high neckline and I would wear a jumper on top so that you only really see the skirt part of the dress. Not comfortable yet with anything else but a skirt.
You just summed up how I also wear dresses, Dennis.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...