Probably the youngest member here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Colt

Probably the youngest member here

Post by Colt »

Hi Im a 14 year old straight male living in Singapore. Although I only joined the forum not long ago, I had been reading posts from this forum since June. I am currently living in a condition where I was totally not allowed to freely wear skirts, even at home. My parents were closed minded people who cannot accept any changes in fashion. No matter how I tried to explain to them, they kept insisting that men should never be allowed to wear skirts and that doing so will make me transsexual :x . So, long story short, I am only allowed to wear skirts from my mom's wardrobe whenever I am alone at home, and I hope that things would get better in the next few years.
Without fear, anything is possible.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Probably the youngest member here

Post by janrok »

Welcome from one of the oldest members!
Once you live on your own you can do what you like and make the most of skirt wearing.

Her are two pics showing Asian guys in skirt. If you show these to your parents they may become convinced!
Jan.
tumblr_mzvoigdcbH1qzdotao1_500.jpg
tumblr_moioteNxm21qbc7rqo1_1280.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by janrok on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, Colt, and I hope you can find some opportunities to dress as you please.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

In hesitate to suggest sneaking around behind your parent's back, but have you confided your interest to any friends? Perhaps you'd have more freedom at their house than at yours.

If you can get to any second-hand clothing stores near your home or school, that might be a good source of inexpensive skirts to try out.

You could also try discussing your interest with a school counselor or nurse. They may take a more enlightened position than your parents and help you convince them.

Finally, although I'm no expert, there may be some traditional Chinese styles for men that are more like skirts or dresses than trousers. Here's an example:

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_255716571_00/1.0x0.jpg

I realize this may not be everyday wear in this day and age, but it might be something your parents can live with.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Welcome, Colt.

Singapore is indeed a very conservative and socially rigid place. I advise cautiously seeking confidential support among others of your age, perhaps online first, later in person, once you identify and establish safe friends with like feelings. Beware of false traps online. None of us know what laws may you be violating if you do pursue real life meetings with other adolescents who want to express themselves through alternative fashion. Singapore has a low tolerance for social deviance and dissent; it is a city-state that once banned chewing gum because the president got gum on his shoes. Although I hope attitudes have modernized, mellowed, perhaps, but caning is/was a common lawful punishment for youthful violators, as I recall.

Anyway, it seems likely that there will be many kiosks and small shops where inexpensive textiles - sarongs, pareos, etc. - can be cheaply purchased. I hope that in time you may find like minds and the support of your family. It is difficult to change their minds, but even moreso for them to change your innate personality.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome Clt, You may have parental disapproval but many of us have spousal and/or relational disapproval too! Sometimes we can't win - the best we can hope for is an honourable draw.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtingseattle

Post by skirtingseattle »

Welcome, Colt.

I was in Singapore last month, but did not wear any of my lungi's I purchased in Sri Lanka a few years back. My wife and I were only there for 4 days, and even though I had worn them often in the previous 2 weeks in Cambodia (where no one wears them), I didn't get around to wearing them in Singapore because I would have seemed to be very under dressed for the places and people we were meeting. Now, if I had one of my more smart looking sports kilts, I would have worn it, but didn't have room in my bag. :( Definitely, next time. :D

How about trying out a sport/utility kilt? The are a large number of sellers online with many photos that you could show your parents what the look is like. They may still object, but they would probably concede that men can wear skirt-like clothing and still look masculine.

Good luck,
Chris
Colt

Post by Colt »

Thanks for all the warm welcomes I received. It felt so good to know that there are people out there who understand me :D .
Colt

Post by Colt »

Caultron wrote:
> Welcome, Colt, and I hope you can find some opportunities to dress as you please.

My mom just got a part-time job recently, so I now have roughly 7 hours alone at home for 4 days every week. Now I can do whatever I so desire at home when both my parents are away working :)
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Colt,
Welcome from another older member of this site. :D Great to hear about young people not getting hung up about wearing skirts. 8) Hope you manage to get some ideas here for purchasing and wearing skirts.

The youngest person I have seen so far seemed to be around 20, a student, who was with a couple of his friends thought he was the only one skirted (one had denims on and the third had khaki cargo shorts). Good for you in not being burdened by societal "norms"! 8)

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Welcome Colt.

Only this last week rekindled my readings of posts on this forum. What little time I had over the last 12 months has been dedicated to getting my web site more known and a presence on Twitter, both promoting men in skirts. I have a very busy personal life as well and decided I should try and make more time for this forum in an effort to help those like yourself know that there are many like minded men in this world and even in your situation you can get help and support.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents, hope it can change but as one fellow member has already said when you can eventually leave home you can be yourself. I have a male friend who doesn't wear skirts but about 12 years ago worked out in Singapore for a few years and soon embraced the Sarong, due to the heat and many males in his location wore them. Back in the UK he will not, too cold he says but also very few males wear skirts!

All the best.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.