Hi, Donald here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Hi, Donald here

Post by DonaldG »

Hi, I'm Donald. I live in East Lothian, Scotland. I am in my early 60s and have been wearing skirts at home and kilts (traditional tartan, utility and leather) outside for many years. My wife has become so used to this that she sometimes buys me a gift of a skirt she thinks I'll like.

Recently I have gone out a couple of times wearing a knee-length cargo skirt (the one in the attached photo), and would like to gain enough confidence
Grey_cargo_chainsaw_2.jpg
to do so more (although my wife is not so happy about that)..

I have several skirts, mostly denim or cargo, and mostly bought from the women's section of charity shops. I've also got 2 tartan kilts, 2 utility kilts, 2 plain black kilts and a leather kilt (all intended for men).

I am looking forward to learning more of other men's experience with skirts in this forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi, Donald here

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, Donald, and congratulations on going out skirted. As I'm sure you've already found, it only gets easier.

Some people will notice and some of those may be surprise, but very few will be disapproving. The typical reaction is, "Oh well, if that's what he wants to wear, I guess it's all right."

And as to those few inflexible disapprovers, it's their problem and their grief, not yours.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi!, good to see another Scotland based skirtologist! I hope I can make it across to the meet in Edinburgh, if not this time, then maybe next time.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

"Skirtologist"-interesting term. :)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Donald. Another wise man comes from the East! We already have a few members from over your way, so with a bit of luck you won't be a complete surprise to anyone who sees you skirted. However I'm not sure any of the others ever venture east of Edinburgh, so I wouldn't bet on it. Anyhow, its good to have another skirty in Scotland, so pull your skirt on and go to the Edinburgh skirted meet soon!

Your wife's attitude sounds a bit like Mrs Skirtyscot's. I have not so much dealt with her objection to me going out skirted as ignoring it altogether. I just put a skirt on and stepped out in our little town like it was a normal thing to wear (which it is, for me), despite her protests. I'm not sure I can honestly recommend this approach, as it has generated some strife, but I have now reached the stage where practically everyone knows about the man who wears skirts, so I hardly raise an eyebrow round here. It could work for you too if you live in a wee place (and what else is there in E Lothian?)

Anyway, do let us know how you get on - how you feel about being so far ahead of fashion in a small town, how the locals react, that sort of thing.

What do you wear with that skirt now that the weather is getting a wee bit nippy? A pair of tights or a longer skirt is called for, IMHO.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Hi Alastair

She came round to me wearing skirts at home fairly quickly, and she was with me in the summer when I ventured to Haddington in a cargo skirt (but she had had a few drinks with a friend so wasn't caring too much!).

As to what to wear as it's suddenly turned much colder, I'm not sure. I tend to wear woollen or leather kilt with boots, but am considering a longer leather skirt. I'll try it out tomorrow and maybe post a pic to see what folks think.

Donald.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Welcome Donald to the ranks of the enlightened in apparel. Great group of "skirts" here, so you'll get along just fine. I'm actually out in an area not too far from Dalkeith, so I'm not too far from the E. Lothian borders. I'm a yank from California out here in Edinurgh finishing my Masters degree at Edin. Uni for a year, and I've brought my skirts along with me for the long haul. Do look into the possible scheduled meet-up on Nov. 27 in Edinburgh, AKA Thanksgiving Day for the yanks abroad here. It'd be great to meet up with ya and all the other "skirts" here in the Lawlands and the We(s)t Coast of Alba.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtyscot wrote:...I have now reached the stage where practically everyone knows about the man who wears skirts, so I hardly raise an eyebrow round here...
Yes, amazing how that happens, eh? Good show!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Hi Donald! I really like the skirt. The length is just what I look for when skirt shopping.
Don't know if I'd be operating a chainsaw while wearing a skirt and sandals though.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

vlcsnap-2014-11-16-17h34m19s118.jpg
Wore my long leather skirt to Haddington today to do some shopping. Although the outdoor temperature was only just above freezing, my legs were fine and warm. So great for comfort, but any thoughts on the look, especially what would look good as a top rather than the brown woolen V-neck I wore for warmth?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The jumper is fine. In fact the whole ensemble is very good. About as masculine as a skirted outfit can be. Are you by any chance 6'3" or taller? Its hard to tell from the photo, but if you were, the overall effect could be quite intimidating!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Thanks Alastair, It's really useful to get feedback from experienced skirters.

Sadly I'm not tall – only about 5'6”.

Donald.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Welcome, Donald. Please be careful with skirt hems around the chain saw!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

My experience is that negative reactions are very rare - most people are neutral or positive. Women are quite often positive about male skirt wearing. I recently wore a brown leather kilt to a supermarket and the young female cashier said something very quietly when I checked out (as if she almost didn't want me to hear), so I asked her to repeat it. She said she really loved my kilt and wished she could wear one, which I thought a bit odd as women have carte blanc to wear whatever they want. In retrospect, I should have told her how to order one.