Noobie here!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Toll

Re: Noobie here!

Post by Toll »

@crfriend
I never considered that it could bring chaos to my folks' marriage. I don't think things will end badly. In fact, I'm pretty confident they won't. They're not gonna stop me but I think at the worst they'll just dislike the idea of me wearing skirts. They will be like "ok but we don't like it." This is why I plan to have a good talk about men in skirts before even bringing myself up. I don't wanna bring the conversation up out of the blue because then I would get figured out sooner than I wanted. I think when the topic of clothes comes up and what is appropriate to wear, I can bring up my belief that "everyone should wear what they want." I'll say that men should wear skirts and dresses and that there is no good reasoning for why they shouldn't. I can see my folks looking at me funny already. I've never really done anything as a kid that they disproved of. I didn't intentionally play it safe my whole life. That's just how it was and for once in my life, I wanna try something that they didn't see coming. All I want is to mix like 2 or 3 skirts (that touch my knees_ in addition to the jeans I wear. Not looking for anything flashy. All neutral which is faithful to the clothing I wear now. I don't want to wear manly or womanly skirts. I want something in between.

@Darryl
Seriously thanks for sharing that story, Darryl. I agree conservative is the way to go here for a first skirt. I want to get a denim skirt (a little above knee length) at some point but I wanna get a cheap skirt at around my ideal length just to see how it feels. I could wear it only when no one is around. I need to know first if skirts are worth the effort here ya know?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Toll wrote:@crfriend
I never considered that it could bring chaos to my folks' marriage. I don't think things will end badly.
I was thinking more along the lines of your marriage, not your parents'. Your parents will lean on you for wearing skirts if they see fit, and you as the child are perfectly free to ignore them in this regard but should expect some friction. That's just the way it works, and at the end of the day -- if everybody is behaving like adults -- the worst of the fallout is an "agreement to disagree". I was speaking specifically to the case of one's own wife, and be especially wary of the woman who takes the attitude of, "skirts are OK on guys, but not on my man".

Read through the threads here, and you'll see a few spots where things got dicey for some of us.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Toll

Post by Toll »

crfriend wrote:
Toll wrote:@crfriend
I never considered that it could bring chaos to my folks' marriage. I don't think things will end badly.
I was thinking more along the lines of your marriage, not your parents'. Your parents will lean on you for wearing skirts if they see fit, and you as the child are perfectly free to ignore them in this regard but should expect some friction. That's just the way it works, and at the end of the day -- if everybody is behaving like adults -- the worst of the fallout is an "agreement to disagree". I was speaking specifically to the case of one's own wife, and be especially wary of the woman who takes the attitude of, "skirts are OK on guys, but not on my man".

Read through the threads here, and you'll see a few spots where things got dicey for some of us.
Oh ok, well I am not married or even in any relationship. I hope the skirt wearing doesn't affect me being able to get dates.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Toll wrote:Oh ok, well I am not married or even in any relationship. I hope the skirt wearing doesn't affect me being able to get dates.
Actually, it may serve as a bit of a "bozo filter" -- and it'll make the point plainly apparent that your sartorial notions don't line up squarely with the rest of the males in the society. Openness is important, and one of the things that's extremely corrosive in relationships is keeping secrets. Having it out in the open from the get-go could work well for you.

Good luck!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Toll

Post by Toll »

crfriend wrote:
Toll wrote:Oh ok, well I am not married or even in any relationship. I hope the skirt wearing doesn't affect me being able to get dates.
Actually, it may serve as a bit of a "bozo filter" -- and it'll make the point plainly apparent that your sartorial notions don't line up squarely with the rest of the males in the society. Openness is important, and one of the things that's extremely corrosive in relationships is keeping secrets. Having it out in the open from the get-go could work well for you.

Good luck!
Yeah really good point. I'd want to be with someone open minded anyway. If they like hate on me for a garment I'm wearing they really aren't worth it in the end. I could see that. Thanks crfriend.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Toll wrote:Everyone should be able to wear what they want.

I really don't want to wait until it's socially acceptable for men to wear skirts in western countries. ( I live in Pennsylvania, U.S.) Who knows how long that could be. I'm not getting any younger. I have a youthful body and I wanna start wearing skirts before I'm old, ya know? While I'm in the best shape of my life. I would regret not trying a skirt in my youth all because I was too scared. But it's all so nerve wracking.

I'm happy I found this site, because now I can get some good insight from you skirt wearers. What's your best advice for this 23 year old?
Welcome, Toll. My only advice is to be bold and fearless. Wear what you like. There can be a price to pay but you will soon learn to discern people with open minds.

It is especially nice to have a young guy joining our ranks. As you will see, weare mostly in our fifties and older. I, and I'm sure many others wish we had been as bold as you at your age. Some, no doubt, myself included in a small modest way, were pushing the envelope in ways that were challenging for our era, such as my taking modern dance and ballet classes at your age, but for men to wear skirts was something beyond even my own boundary-breaking aspirations. I hope that we are still pushing boundaries, but men of your generation will achieve far more than than we have, especially if you start now.

You will find abundant support here, even among these grumpy old men. Welcome!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Toll

Post by Toll »

dillon wrote:
Toll wrote:Everyone should be able to wear what they want.

I really don't want to wait until it's socially acceptable for men to wear skirts in western countries. ( I live in Pennsylvania, U.S.) Who knows how long that could be. I'm not getting any younger. I have a youthful body and I wanna start wearing skirts before I'm old, ya know? While I'm in the best shape of my life. I would regret not trying a skirt in my youth all because I was too scared. But it's all so nerve wracking.

I'm happy I found this site, because now I can get some good insight from you skirt wearers. What's your best advice for this 23 year old?
Welcome, Toll. My only advice is to be bold and fearless. Wear what you like. There can be a price to pay but you will soon learn to discern people with open minds.

It is especially nice to have a young guy joining our ranks. As you will see, weare mostly in our fifties and older. I, and I'm sure many others wish we had been as bold as you at your age. Some, no doubt, myself included in a small modest way, were pushing the envelope in ways that were challenging for our era, such as my taking modern dance and ballet classes at your age, but for men to wear skirts was something beyond even my own boundary-breaking aspirations. I hope that we are still pushing boundaries, but men of your generation will achieve far more than than we have, especially if you start now.

You will find abundant support here, even among these grumpy old men. Welcome!
Thanks Dillon! I really respect that you're breaking boundaries. It's cool! More fun than blending with the crowd.

Just out of curiosity, are there other young skirt wearers on here? I'm reading all of the experiences in the Out and About thread. I'm reading every page so it's taking a while but I'm learning a lot. From what I've read so far, you guys overall seem to have good experiences in public. That really makes me happy to see that people are being respectful and no one's getting hurt.

The reason I ask if there any other young ones here is because I feel that I'm up against a different crowd than you older gents. I like to think my generation is a pretty open minded one but I do think someone my age is more likely to be a target of negative comments or worse. I hope I'm wrong to think that. I'm curious to read about the experience of a young skirt wearer around my age and see how things have going for him. I'm already feeling better about this skirt thing from reading all these great replies here and from the Out and About thread.
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

I think a big reason for the older age group here is that it is common to be at least 40 before one really understands what one likes and considers important in life. One also realises that a lot of social norms are arbitrary and absurd. Better live a life that one wants rather than be a slave to such views. At an older age we have fewer work and familial responsibilities and contacts as well.

I started naked hiking in remote locations from my twenties, and continue to this day. However, if there is a chance of meeting anyone, a hiking skirt is great alternative.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

TheRod wrote:I started naked hiking in remote locations from my twenties, and continue to this day. However, if there is a chance of meeting anyone, a hiking skirt is great alternative.
One thing about reading sites like this is you learn a choice you made that you thought was unusual is shared by others. I didn't start hiking again until my 50s but found hiking in wilderness areas on weekdays could be very peaceful. I've always hiked alone and have excellent hearing, so could hear other hikers yacking from a long enough distance to cover up when necessary. I did almost get caught one time by several people on horses that approached faster than walkers. Due to a shortage of hair on my head, I wear a broad brim hat while out in the sun. When the horses were still a distance away I stepped off the trail, removed my hat and placed it strategically. When they were out of sight, I continued on my way back to my car.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

I've only once been encountered while hiking naked and that was by a hang glider in the Fremont Hills, CA. Much quieter than people and approaching from above and downwind, practically silent.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Quote :
"The reason I ask if there any other young ones here is because I feel that I'm up against a different crowd than you older gents. I like to think my generation is a pretty open minded one but I do think someone my age is more likely to be a target of negative comments or worse. "

Being one of the older members, I too feel it would be interesting to know how the youngsters get along.
I sometimes think that if my skirts get no reactions from the public, it could well be because folk see me as too old (fragile? venerable? respectable?) to be worth debating with. From comments I have read rather than heard, it would appear that women find "masculine" men in kilts/skirts to be most attractive, but whether non-conventional attire would be an aid or an obstacle to dating, I do not know (can't be bothered to find out for myself!).

There are some younger members on the forum, but they are certainly a minority. The younger generation is not as revolutionary as some like to see themselves.

Martin
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Toll and :welcome:

IF I may throw my $.02 worth in here, I will suggest getting one of the economy kilts,
made by several manufactures. The "Blackwatch" tartan is not associated to any clan.

This 'starter kilt' will be an 'ice-braker' with friends and, especially, family. After seeing you
wearing your kilt, the subtle switch to a regular skirt will not readily be noticed - BY ANYONE :!: :D
{B.T.D.T.}

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Back when I started posting at the old Tom's Cafe (the original one), I was just a little over 26. About to turn 39. So, I started somewhat young and have continued to be non-trousered since then. Did the kilt thing for a while (late 2002-summer 2009), then started wearing skirts again when I realized that they were more comfortable and could usually be washed and dried.

About hiking au naturel, I'm kind of a newcomer to that, but have discovered that it's a very comfortable way to get exercise.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Toll wrote:...The reason I ask if there any other young ones here is because I feel that I'm up against a different crowd than you older gents. I like to think my generation is a pretty open minded one but I do think someone my age is more likely to be a target of negative comments or worse. I hope I'm wrong to think that...
FWIW, I get more frowns and other minor negative reactions from older people than from younger.

Also, (and I keep meaning to ask this) didn't you say you're a cartoonist? I thought artists could get away with almost anything. Tell 'em it's a smock. Or actually wear a smock. Or whatever.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:mrgreen:
Thanks Caultron for reminding me he's a cartoonist. :D

:idea: What a wonderful way to introduce 'the male skirt concept' by using
a serial cartoon. Then when asked why you're wearing a kilt or skirt
your positively accurate answer is "RESEARCH" for your 'job'.

I know this is a excuse to wear a skirted garment but who is to complain
when you're doing research :?: Record your feed-back so that your
'findings' are then published in your cartoon strip. A wonderfully subtle
way to introduce the male skirt to the world. Parents can't really complain,
you're doing it for your job. Then after 'The Strip' has run its course,
you can continue wearing skirted garments as you choose. You've already
made your 'appearance' and everyone is used to your skirt wearing.

Then, if anyone asks, you can say 'they are more comfortable than trousers'.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)