New Member in Arizona

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

New Member in Arizona

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

As an on-and-off lurker in the Cafe, I thought it was time I actually joined -- and here I am :)

I spend most of my time in the rural Arizona desert west of Phoenix. While my preferred attire is "none of the above", those in authority seem to frown upon that mode of (un)dress. Luckily I've learned that while I'm expected to cover certain parts of my body, I can do so without enduring the discomfort of trousers.

My wardrobe includes several Utilikilts plus a couple no-name "utility kilts" as well as various simple wraps (sarong/pareo/etc.). I find the utility kilts most useful when out and about shopping or whatever because of all the pockets in which to stash modern life's necessities (phone, keys, wallet) while the wraps are much lighter and more comfortable, especially in the hot desert summers, when I need to cover up but don't need to be carrying anything. I might add that I also never wear shoes and rarely a shirt. Nothing else goes with a utility kilt quite as well as "nothing else"!

Anyhow, I guess that covers it for a basic intro. Thanks for reading!
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Member in Arizona

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, MrNaturalAZ, from a fellow Arizonan.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Welcome to the skirt cafe :welcome: :)
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welome:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

That's some trick walking around with no shoes in the desert west of Phoenix when it's 110° or more. How do you do that? Cuz I sure can't stand barefoot on my driveway or patio this time of year...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Caultron wrote:That's some trick walking around with no shoes in the desert west of Phoenix when it's 110° or more. How do you do that? Cuz I sure can't stand barefoot on my driveway or patio this time of year...
It can be a bit challenging. I'd say the desert floor as well as the gravel (more like crushed rock, actually) roads around here probably get about as warm as concrete. In the middle of the day I can't take much more than a minute or two of it. Asphalt is even worse, but with a good parking spot and a quick sprint I manage. Went into town (Buckeye) yesterday early afternoon for some shopping, in fact, and did just that.

To keep moving helps, and of course, conditioning occurs with practice. Not just physical (soles get tougher and pads thicker) but also mental (one learns to differentiate between "unpleasant" sensations and those that indicate actual danger). But there is a fine line and in these temps the potential exists for real damage with prolonged contact. That's why I carry a pair of "emergency" huarache sandals in the car - in case I were to have a breakdown in mid-day in the summer and was forced to walk an extended distance on hot asphalt/pavement.

Otherwise, in the summer, I do any "recreational" walking/hiking in the early morning or late afternoon/evening when the ground is cooler. Besides, who wants to do any recreational walking when it's 110+ degrees? That's when we desert-dwellers hibernate indoors ;)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I hike in Arizona a lot and this time of year it's either early in the morning or up around Flagstaff, in both cases to avoid the high temperatures. But those must still be some tough feet you've got there.

I'm surprised the shops in Buckeye don't have, "No shirt, no shoes, no service," policies, because most stores do. But I suppose it depends on the store and how well they know you.

caultron
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Caultron wrote:I'm surprised the shops in Buckeye don't have, "No shirt, no shoes, no service," policies, because most stores do. But I suppose it depends on the store and how well they know you.
I can't recall the last time I saw a nsnsns sign - I think it was at a McDonald's in Phoenix several years ago. I ignored it and just strolled on in where I was served with no comment. Really, I don't have too much problem, apart from the occasional podophobic low-level manager trying to flex his (metaphorical) muscles. The few times I've been refused service have been rectified with a carefully worded, polite-but-stern letter to management. Given the current economy, I think businesses realize that "ew, bare feet" isn't a good enough reason to turn away a paying customer. There are occasions when someone is misinformed and believes it is a "health code" violation, but I carry a letter from the state health department indicating that there is, in fact, no such law barring barefoot business patrons, and that usually settles it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I'm impressed because (1) pocket space on utility kilts is usually pretty limited and (2) the letter has held out that long.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome. MrNaturalAZ,

I find the banter between you fellow Arizonans amusing. Depends where on this big ball of ours you live, but 110degrees here would be what you remembered from your last holiday in Southern Spain and encountered only next a bonfire or BBQ stove in these parts. 4000 years ago I visited friends in Phoenix. It was a mere 108 deg., but I wore a hat while swimming in their pool.

In the '40s as a child I remember seeing some country children coming in barefoot to school, and that wasn't from choice!

Having untoughened feet myself I'll always wear sandals at the very least, but it IS lovely walking barefoot on a nice grass lawn, which is mostly what we get here.
Lowland Potain outfit Cameron Clan Modern & Friend Benjy..jpg
Tom

P.S.: 7 Stone equals 42Kg. or 98 Lbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Caultron wrote:I'm impressed because (1) pocket space on utility kilts is usually pretty limited and (2) the letter has held out that long.
(1) Really? Mine have plenty of pocket space - particularly the Utilikilts. So much so, in fact, that they used to (maybe still do?) brag that one could carry a six-pack of one's beverage of choice in its pockets. Besides, the letter is folded and tucked amongst my paper money and plastic cards in my wallet.

(2) It's really quite rare that I have to produce the letter. Occasionally when I do wallet housekeeping I'll check that it is still in decent legible shape, and if not, I'll print a fresh copy (it is stored as a PDF file in my computer).
Last edited by MrNaturalAZ on Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Kirbstone wrote:I find the banter between you fellow Arizonans amusing. Depends where on this big ball of ours you live, but 110degrees here would be what you remembered from your last holiday in Southern Spain and encountered only next a bonfire or BBQ stove in these parts. 4000 years ago I visited friends in Phoenix. It was a mere 108 deg., but I wore a hat while swimming in their pool.
You think 110 is hot? Just the other day Phoenix celebrated the anniversary of its all-time record high temperature of 122 degrees (that's 50 Celsius) in 1990. I remember that day - I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go traffic returning to Phoenix from Tempe, driving a non-air-conditioned company van.

http://www.abc15.com/news/state/24-year ... 22-degrees