Saying hello wearing my first kilt

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Pal

Saying hello wearing my first kilt

Post by Pal »

I've been a lurker for a while but thought this a good time to say hello.

I guess like many I've spent a good few years wondering about kilts and skirts and even taken the occasional foray but always thinking of it as some dirty little secret. With the help of this site and some deep self examination I decided it was time to do something about it, I'm not getting any younger!

I thought I'd test out the water with my partner, who is pretty tolerant, and who, when she reached sixty, announced her intention was to be seen as a batty old lady. I've had the habit of going out to fill the bird feeders first thing in the morning wearing my dressing gown and nothing else, so one day I just mentioned to her how liberating it felt going out like that. She immediately said, why did I think she always changed into a skirt in the summer, and I could always get a kilt.

Well I left it like that and a couple a of days later she said to me today would be a good kilt day so I took that as her approval and my first Tartanista kilt has just arrived. She has given it her seal of approval and I don't have to worry about telling my friends and family as she's already said she's taking a photo and emailing it to everyone.

She's already started discussing with me what I should and shouldn't wear with it so all is looking hopeful. It looks like we're going to be the eccentric couple in the area!

Thanks for the great site it's made things so much easier.
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Re: Saying hello wearing my first kilt

Post by MrUtopia »

Welcome Pal,

What a great way to start, with the acceptance, encouragement even, of your SO.

Enjoy the freedom.

Peter
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Pal wrote:?..my partner, who is pretty tolerant, and who, when she reached sixty, announced her intention was to be seen as a batty old lady...
When people ask me why I'm wearing a kilt, one of my stock answered is, "Because when you get to be an old man, you get to be a crazy old man." Same concept!

In any event, welcome to both the board and the world fraternity!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Welcome Pat. It must be nice to have the support of your wife. I put a skirt on in front of my wife the other day and she told me she don't like to see me wearing a skirt, so I take it she don't approve.
Hoping to hear more from you.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Pal. I'm looking forward to hearing how well your kilt goes down with your friends & relations. With such active encouragement from your Mrs, you are a very fortunate guy!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Pal

Post by Pal »

Thanks for the welcome.

My partner is great. Unlike my ex wife who was always saying "can't you find something more useful to do?" and "no you can't buy that". My partner's attitude is there's no pockets in shrouds, if you want it buy it, and she has never told me I can't do something. Although she did tell me this moning I couldn't wear a striped shirt with plaid kilt!

I've also noticed she has started referring to me wearing a skirt, not a kilt. We're off for a day out and she's just said to me "you can wear a skirt if you want but I'm wearing trousers, it's too cold for me". I have decided to take her advice, but we are going to go shopping for a plain shirt to go with my kilt.

I do consider myself very lucky and look forward to my future adventures.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I agree with your partner, stripe shirt with a plaid kilt, no,no. Hope you had a good shopping trip and found a nice shirt. :D
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Pal wrote:I've been a lurker for a while but thought this a good time to say hello.

I guess like many I've spent a good few years wondering about kilts and skirts and even taken the occasional foray but always thinking of it as some dirty little secret. With the help of this site and some deep self examination I decided it was time to do something about it, I'm not getting any younger!
[…]
Thanks for the great site it's made things so much easier.
Pal,
Nice of you to make yourself known after being a lurker. And to ease into skirting, in a way that sounds successful. Isn't it rewarding and satisfying?

The Skirt Café is indeed helping guys literally and figuratively "get into" skirts. (Thanks, all!) Now you, Pal, can join in a bunch of the discussions that go on here, and in turn help others take that first step. Welcome!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Pal wrote:... Although she did tell me this morning I couldn't wear a striped shirt with plaid kilt!

I do consider myself very lucky and look forward to my future adventures.
Welcome tio the site Pal.

NO indeed! - a plain shirt with a plaid kilt or a striped shirt with a plain kilt/UK/skirt would be fine.

I look forward to hearing more from you as well and it's great to hear that you have the support of your partner. Quite a few here don't have that luxury!
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Pal

Post by Pal »

Thanks for the welcome all.

In my defence it was a very subtle stripe :D

I put my kilt on first thing this morning and have been wandering around the garden and sitting out in the sun with my partner.

One of my stepdaughters came over with their partner a couple of days ago and my partner took great delight in telling them I was the proud owner of a kilt.