March Madness in Kentucky

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

March Madness in Kentucky

Post by Darryl »

I'm Darryl, and various friends and acquaintances suggested I wear support hose back in 2007 when I was working 12-hour shifts on concrete and computer room floors and/or sitting at a desk for 12 hours. I generally wear with shorts out and about when off work, weather permitting and have always had a wee, but growing fascination with kilts. We think we know where we came from and the clan tartan, so I'm about to order my first kilt, sporran and kilt-pin (?). Eventually I'd hope to have a full-up Prince Charlie outfit, and I've...well...threatened to get a set of bagpipes. :D (As a flutist, I might stand a chance at picking it up).

Wanting to get some practice and get a feel for things, I walked into a store this afternoon and asked for help in finding a skirt that would fit me. (About three years ago I was 305 pounds and lost 55 pounds, then kept it off the last year and a half. Now, I'm beginning to lose another 55 pounds using something called "The Daniel Plan" with some friends at church.

The sales lady skillfully put me at ease and recommended a pencil skirt in a stretch black, I was concerned that it might be too small so she gave me another one and took me to the changing rooms. I was wrong and she was right so I'm sitting here in a Lane Bryant black Ponte knit pencil skirt about 24" in size 24. I'll probably get another similar one, and then I'd like to find something shorter, maybe a mini and something in-between. :o

But I'll likely wear the kilt out in public before anything else. :)
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: March Madness in Kentucky

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Darryl and welcome to the forum! :D

It is always good to hear new people on this forum just "starting out" on the skirted/kilted trail. Great to have the confidence of trying out skirts in the shop - found this website for the skirt http://www.lanebryant.com/ponte-knit-pe ... /index.pro.

That looks like a great style.

Hope to hear more from you like what tartan are you thinking of? And does your partner accept the skirts/kilts or not? Quite a few here have "difficulties" getting acceptance from them (including my own)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Darryl!

Well done for taking the plunge and buying your first skirt. Doubly so because you had the nerve to go into a shop and get some assistance choosing it. A lot of people take quite a while to do that!

I wish you success with weight loss phase II - when you reach your goal you can reward yourself with another new skirt!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Hi and welcome Darryl. I thought I was doing well going into a store and buying a skirt, but it takes real guts to ask for assistance, well done. Good luck with the weight loss, seems to be working.
Melvin
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I may go for an early morning walk in the park where I've already been up and down the hills and valleys in shorts and tights. I'll just be replacing the shorts with a skirt. May even be going about as in the attached photo.

As to getting assistance, I'd like to say that "Logic dictates seeking expert advice." :alien: But in areas where I don't know much, I've had my nose rubbed in it too many times not to ask for advice and help. And she was quite outgoing, recommending this and that and chatting me up so I was concentrating on her and not what other customers in the store might have thought. :roll:

We think its the MacAuley tartan. That's an ongoing project, though. Uncle Art got us to Virginia and one of his daughters took things back across to England, Wales and Scotland. That's on my dad's side, my mom's side goes to Germany and my maternal great-great-grandmother was an Irish immigrant.

At the moment, I'm alone. Eyeing a young lady in church who has seen me in shorts and tights and knows the health reasons for them plus my add-on "and they feel good, too!"

My plan is to start out mostly kilted, even with two or three of the cheap knockoffs and work my way up to a couple 8-yard kilts and maybe a Great Kilt. If they goes smoothly I'll insert the regular skirts in here and there. At first I was just wondering how it felt, now I know the indoor mode and will have to try the outdoor mode sometime. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I guess it's still March Madness.

After walking up and down the street at and after dusk last night I did a James T. Kirk "scream and leap."

1. Walked around the mall/shopping center.
2. Fuelled the car.
3. Went grocery shopping.
4. Went into Taco Bell and had a late lunch.
5. Went home and carried my purchases into the house.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Congratulations! Now from here it only gets easier.

No fashion police, no pointing and laughing, no pants gangs, no black helicopters. Just be yourself because, like, who else could you be?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron