New member to the forum

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
quantum

New member to the forum

Post by quantum »

Hi everyone,
New to forum, started out wearing a kilt a few months ago – the postman and a few delivery drivers have seen me in a kilt, but not yet had the courage of my convictions to wear a kilt or skirt to the supermarket.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New member to the forum

Post by dillon »

Welcome, Quantum. You can make your public debut someplace where you have anonymity, then work your way closer to home. Best wishes and looking forward to your contributions in this distinguished group.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Greetings Quantum :D Please tell us about your kilt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Go for it, Quantum. I'm sure you'll be amazed now little attention you get, and most of it positive.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Welcome Quantum (from the other side of Hadrian's wall!)

Good to hear another non-Scot wearing a kilt good for you to get one! You will find only positive remarks (wearing a kilt) when you do go for it outside, though I can imagine the heart-rate will be up a bit! Confidence is the main thing.

Look forward to hearing your ventures and adventures!

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
quantum

Post by quantum »

Got two kilts, one mainly blue and the other grey and black, both standard wrap-around design and knee length. Also have a few skirts of various lengths – the plaid miniskirt I have I don’t think will ever be worn outside the house as it only just covers my backside.

I can see why pleated skirts are a good idea, they hang well and there’s enough material to move around in whilst working.

But … no pockets, unless you go for something like a denim skirt with the top half of a pair of denim jeans. A bum bag (fanny pack) would seem a solution - a purse or shoulder bag seems inconvenient, although women use them all the time.

Out and about, a man in a kilt in the UK still a fairly rare sight, even in Scotland, which I visit a couple of times a year.

As Ross mentions, confidence is the thing – I need to work on that.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

quantum wrote:As Ross mentions, confidence is the thing – I need to work on that.
And the only way to gain confidence - is to go out there! For myself, I started some 4 years ago now (with a skirt that is - I already had a kilt for "special" occasions.) at a place I would not normally go and that was at a motorway service station to fill up with petrol.

That was some 20miles away but on the way to where I was going at the time. It was a very short outing compared to others here, but a big step for me as I was wearing a 14" denim miniskirt :shock: I had to wait a few minutes at the pay-desk but nobody bothered though there was an odd sidelong glance or double-take. I even returned back the same way and deliberately stopped to buy a coffee and chocolate muffin on the way back as a reward. I don't think anyone even looked twice that time.

When I first went into a supermarket, I did not go to my local one but another branch in the same chain further away. That was the next big step.

Believe us, it does become easier the more you go out there and get little or no reaction.

And as for kilts with pockets, have you thought of a Utilitikilt (check them out on ebay) - they are around £40-£50 which is a lot less than a traditional kilt.

And I don't think I would be seen outside either in a plaid miniskirt THAT short! :lol: :oops: (much as I think what the heck!)

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Hi everyone. Have not yet purchased a kilt but have finally found a company in Johannesburg, South Africa, that's where I live, that sells kilts. Am looking at kilts to hike in. My wife is not keen on the idea. Have not as yet seen anyone in Gauteng area wearing a kilt.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, melsav. I hope you can persuade your wife that it's OK to buy a kilt. There are plenty of websites or Facebook pages full of pictures of men in kilts and comments from women which are highly approving, to say the least. You could try showing her some of those. However there is a risk that she'll be put off by the thought of dozens of women hurling themselves at you!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Quantum,

Fancy a q. leap into the kilted unknown? Where are you? I lived in Lucton near Leominster for a few years, sent 2 daughters to the H. Cathedral School for a while. One now lives just N. of the Shrop. border nr. Ludlow, which I visit sometimes. Kept a sculling boat in the H/fd Rowing Club high up so it never got flooded!

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

quantum wrote:I can see why pleated skirts are a good idea, they hang well and there’s enough material to move around in whilst working.

But … no pockets, unless you go for something like a denim skirt with the top half of a pair of denim jeans. A bum bag (fanny pack) would seem a solution - a purse or shoulder bag seems inconvenient, although women use them all the time.
Welcome to the forum.

I am hopefully in the final stages of designing and looking to manufacture a kilt style wrap with pockets in an easy care fabric called The Dinkum.
Have a look at my Facebook page and see what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Orig ... 7160077108

Regards
Peter
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

skirtyscot wrote:Hello and welcome, melsav. I hope you can persuade your wife that it's OK to buy a kilt. There are plenty of websites or Facebook pages full of pictures of men in kilts and comments from women which are highly approving, to say the least. You could try showing her some of those. However there is a risk that she'll be put off by the thought of dozens of women hurling themselves at you!
Love the idea of hiking in a kilt, from what I have read on the internet they are comfortable and airy, perfect for the hot conditions we have in South Africa. Like the cargo kilt but love the look of a wool tartan kilt but that may be too heavy and very hot. Anyway it may be a while before I get one due to the currant exchange rate, at the moment the Rand is worth nothing. Not too sure of women hurling themselves at me. :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Welcome, melsav. :mrgreen: