Hello

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Orca

Hello

Post by Orca »

Hi, I'm Orca. I'm a Dutch skirt enthusiast. I'm currently 50 years old, healthy and self-employed.
I'm into skirting for a few years now, around the house and for trips to IKEA and such.
I'm not able to wear skirts when working but maybe that will change sometime..
Like most of the others I find that posture and confidence are the best things to bear when wearing a skirt.
Most times other people don't see or notice me wearing a skirt. Í was surprised by the lack of comments when I started wearing skirts in public.
I have a nice Kilt and several skirts, I try to choose at least a manly model or a plain model.
For me it's the ultimate warm weather clothing even better then shorts or Bermuda's.
As I don't like pantyhose or leggings I am not eager to wear skirts outside in fall, winter or early spring.. Why free up your legs to put tight pants on?
Dutch winters are like Dutch fall.. wet and cold. If spring is cold we complain of nine months of fall..
Swim Well, Brother!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello

Post by Grok »

Welcome Orca. :) Would you like to describe your kilt and skirts?
Last edited by Grok on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Orca wrote:...As I don't like pantyhose or leggings I am not eager to wear skirts outside in fall, winter or early spring.. Why free up your legs to put tight pants on?...
For chilly weather try kilt socks, other knee-high socks, or the Extraordinarily Longer Thigh Highs at http://www.sockdreams.com/products/extr ... -high:9875
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Hello and welcome to the Cafe'!

You don't mention how long your skirits and kilt are but even and inch or two can make enough of a difference in winter. In addition heavier and longer kilt hose go a long way to help keep you warm when it's cold.

Yep it's a defferent experiance and you really do know where the breeze went even though you don't know where it come from! LOL!

Slainte' and once again welcome!
Bill & Sir Brinkley the exubrant "enjoying" 14F below today.
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Welcome fellow Dutchman.
Whereabouts do you live? I am from Zoetermeer and I am not the only man wearing skirts or kilts here.
Holland is very liberal (you know that of course) and thus ideally suited for men to go about their business skirted.

Caultron,
Kilt socks are very common in Western Europe and are sold in virtually every store selling textile products.
We call them Kniekousen. (kneehigh socks)
Nowadays over-the-knee socks are becoming populair with soccer players, especially goalkeepers.

Jan.
Last edited by janrok on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

janrok wrote:...Nowadays over-the-knee socks are becoming populair with soccer players, especially goalkeepers...
Maybe I should look for some of those, How far over the knees do they go, and what holds them up?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome: :thumleft:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Orca

Post by Orca »

Grok wrote:
> Welcome Orca. Would you like to describe your kilt and skirts?
There all above the knee about 13 to 16" the kilt hangs on the knees (it's from London where I bought it on a city trip)
A few in denim both blue, black and white and some white cotton skirts.

janrok wrote:
> Whereabouts do you live? I am from Zoetermeer and I am not the only man wearing skirts
> or kilts here.
I'm living in lelystad, had a blast last Lowlands (A Campingflight to Lowlands Paradise / A three day music and theater festival) where I was skirted during the days, from 65000
people three remarks and four conversations about skirting.

janrok wrote:
> Holland is very liberal (you know that of course) and thus ideally suited for men
> to go about their business skirted.
I am a self-employed ICT consultant for Enterprise Business Software, I'm not going to jeopardize my income. I'll hold on for a time where it's more acceptable...

janrok wrote:
> Kilt socks are very common in Western Europe and are sold in virtually every store
> selling textile products.
My wish is for freedom of my legs, no constrictions and nothing on them.. My black on black kilt with a slight grey pattern is used for casual wear and I do not want to wear big or
high socks.. I appreciate the effort to help me wear them longer but that's not my ultimate goal. For personal visits I leave the house, enter the car, drive, leave the car and enter
a house. I can survive those 5 meters outdoors even without high socks. For walking and shopping I'll wait for warmer weather when it's more logical and natural to wear a skirt.
Swim Well, Brother!
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Caultron,
I don't know what holds them up, I guess just elastic band.
These over-knees are populair with soccer players under cold circumstances such as Germany where temperatures are lower than in Holland.
Whereas field players are moving all the time (and thus keep warm) goalkeepers are just on guard, hardly moving.

I agree with Orca to wear skirts/kilts only in good weather as I reject the idea of wearing tights or leggings. In winter I wear soft jogging pants.
(BTW the Dutch forum members strongly disagree with me and virtually all wear some sort of legwear)
Jan.
Last edited by janrok on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

janrok wrote:(BTW the Dutch forum members strongly disagree with me and virtually all wear some sort of legwear)
This is one of the things that falls to personal taste, and I believe it should remain that way and be respected as such.

One of the things I would most certainly not like seeing is a bunch of "Rules and Regulations" attached to men's skirt-wearing in the same manner that such applies to The Kilt or even to women's skirt-wearing. Let's not get hidebound by it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Orca - welcome to this forum. Good to see new members.

You're tast in skirts is very close to mine - tartan kilt down to knee-level for "special" occasions and shorter skirts for general use. My own length varies fro 13.5" to 19" and I also have a Utilitikilt which ends a little above the knee.

How does your partner (assuming you have one) accept the skirt-wearing? There are quite a few here that have various degrees of acceptance from an outright "no chance" to full acceptance with many shades in between such as "within the house only" or whatever.

Also as regards tights, hose and socks, it is a personal preference. I do not wear tights with a kilt for instance though then I have knee-high hose with tartan "flashes". For shorter skirts, in winter, I do wear tights. Just about the same percentage of people who notice at all and that is very few.

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Orca

Post by Orca »

skirtingtoday wrote:
> Hi Orca - welcome to this forum. Good to see new members.
>
> You're tast in skirts is very close to mine - tartan kilt down to knee-level for
> "special" occasions and shorter skirts for general use. My own length varies fro
> 13.5" to 19" and I also have a Utilitikilt which ends a little above the knee.
>
> How does your partner (assuming you have one) accept the skirt-wearing? There are
> quite a few here that have various degrees of acceptance from an outright "no chance"
> to full acceptance with many shades in between such as "within the house only" or
> whatever.
>
> Also as regards tights, hose and socks, it is a personal preference. I do not wear
> tights with a kilt for instance though then I have knee-high hose with tartan "flashes".
> For shorter skirts, in winter, I do wear tights. Just about the same percentage
> of people who notice at all and that is very few.
>
> Ross

My partner is cool with my wearing skirts, she bought a 'punk * ' skirt for me because she finds that one sexy on me. ( * additional bands and zippers and buckles to make it manly)
She has no problem with outdoor activities while skirted. We went to IKEA together both in skirts. Several times actually even with another friend.
While shopping for clothes she points out skirts for me and encourages me to try them on in the changing rooms.

I'm lucky to have someone like that.. She is wearing more skirts now than before. You won't hear me complain.

I prefer bare legs with nothing on them, I even roll up my shirtsleeves to have my underarms free.
For me it's the freedom, I would love to live in a warm climate and wear skirts each day because it's the best thing to wear..
Swim Well, Brother!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

janrok wrote: Kilt socks are very common in Western Europe and are sold in virtually every store selling textile products.
Common? Perhaps in some of the chillier areas of NW Europe, but I've never manage to find any south of Paris that are long enough for a turnover, and only in Germany have I found decent socks that reach my knees. Some years ago, Carrefour in France sold some very nice fine woolen socks that reached near my knees if I bought a large size, but they soon vanished from the stores.
Not surprising in some ways that long socks are so rare. They feet wear out and you are left with nothing but the long legs you paid so much for.

Martin