Proud to be Dutch

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Proud to be Dutch

Post by beachlion »

As the title says, I'm born in Holland and living in the USA for almost 3 years. I live in Pennsylvania, in Allentown. About 30 year ago, when I was living on my own for several years, a curious thought came over me. What was it to wear women clothes. So I started with moderate high heels (2") and I liked the feel of it. From there I went further, more heels until I reached my limit at 4". Then I ordered a skirt, more skirts and a dress. Also strings, panties and a bra. To feel the weight of breast, I filled zip bags with a pint of water each. I had found an abandoned secluded parking lot during my bike rides in the polder where I could dress up and walk around to have the feel of the stuff I was wearing. I was certainly not into cross dressing, it was just an experiment. After a last appearance, I dumped the clothing one by one but kept a pair of boots that were very comfortable. But what remained was the feeling of wearing skirts, it felt airy, free and specially the hem against my legs.
Not only my curiosity but also my attitude towards discrimination played a role. Why can women wear anything they like and men are restricted to typical men-stuff? Why no skirts or dresses, why no moderate heels. You can have those without that feminine look. Since my experiments I wanted to wear skirts because they were so comfortable but it was not in the dress code. Since I discovered a few forums about skirts for men, I got me a skirt and was wearing it, even in the open air. From an old pair of jeans I made a sort of mini skirt and started to walk in a nearby park/wilderness. And I'm hooked.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Proud to be Dutch

Post by skirtyscot »

Welcome, Beachlion!
beachlion wrote:Why can women wear anything they like and men are restricted to typical men-stuff? ... Since my experiments I wanted to wear skirts because they were so comfortable but it was not in the dress code.

We are not restricted, it just takes a good dose of courage to confront everyone else's belief that we are!
beachlion wrote:Since I discovered a few forums about skirts for men, I got me a skirt and was wearing it, even in the open air. From an old pair of jeans I made a sort of mini skirt and started to walk in a nearby park/wilderness. And I'm hooked.
Lots of us here have found that once you start and like the comfort of a skirt, you don't want to stop.

Next step is to come in from the wilderness and go skirted in town. At first you could try a town where nobody knows you, if that makes it easier.

Do your friends & relations know, and if so, what do they think about your skirts?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, beachlion, and congratulations on discovering the comfort and daring of wearing a skirt.

Do try it in public, though. If it helps, try the first time somewhere no one will know you, and try it with a kilt, the most widely-accepted unbifurcated (single leg-hole) garment for men. But whatever the circumstances, just do it. You'll be amazed how astonishingly little people care what you wear. Just keep up your confidence in the right to be yourself -- the right to dress and go as you please. And if somebody doesn't like that, it's their problem, not yours.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

The only skirt I have now looks very crude. And it is certainly not suited for trail hiking. So I have to find more fitting skirts with a more manly appearance.

[attachment=0]P8231552q.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard, Beachlion, and congratulations for discovering that a guy not need go "all-out" to enjoy the sublime comfort and freedom of a simple skirt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That skirt looks like a cut-off pair of jeans, but without any nasty crotch seams. What could you ask for as a more manly design? Pull it on and step out!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

beachlion wrote: Why can women wear anything they like and men are restricted to typical men-stuff?
Actually, the discrimination against women choosing to be bare-chested, and probably revealing tops, seems stronger than against men wearing skirts. Yes, support equal rights in clothing, but understand women are restricted also. A "you women have it better than men" attitude can hurt our cause.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

skirtyscot wrote:...... Do your friends & relations know, and if so, what do they think about your skirts?
Nobody besides me (and the forum) knows I like to wear skirts. My wife would be quite shocked but maybe will accept it with certain restrictions. My family in Holland will find it strange but may accept it. Friends of my wife will be surprised but may accept it. One friend in particular is quite leg-crazy and she would not mind seeing me in a mini skirt. :shock:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Short on time here, but :welcome: :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Damian

Post by Damian »

I like the skirt in the picture! I'm also Dutch and still living in the Netherlands. My family know that I like to wear skirts and have accepted it!

Groeten Damian
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Welcome from the Netherlands, Damian! :lol:
Jan.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Damian wrote:I like the skirt in the picture! I'm also Dutch and still living in the Netherlands. My family know that I like to wear skirts and have accepted it!

Groeten Damian
I saw your other message first. :?