Introuduction

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
inohio10

Introuduction

Post by inohio10 »

Hello,

I am new to skirtcafe, and relative new to wearing skirts. My wife introduced me to Utilikilts a few years ago, I loved it, decided really hate wearing pants. My wife is supportative of me wanting to wear skirts, and have taken to wearing sarongs in the right company, far as skirts I told her that I want something that is not too girly as she puts it. I am more interested in knee length or long skirts and not denim.

I joined here in hopes to learn a few things, and hopefully get ideas on where to find skirts that I would wear.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Introuduction

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, inohio10.

It's very fortunate that your wife is supportive. That's one of the two great barriers to enjoying skirts, the other being fear to appear in public.

If you're looking for a few more utility kilts, I usually recommend http://www.utkilts.com because they're fairly good quality and low-priced. I bought two for $65 each and I'm very satisfied.

Beyond that, don't overlook thrift stores. There you can find a variety of skirts for about $5 each, cheap enough to throw out or re-donate if they don't work out.

As to going out in public, just do it. You'll be amazed at how little people care what you wear. Enjoy the nonconformity, the counter-culturalism, and the swish. Keep up your confidence. If somebody doesn't like it, that's their problem, not yours. Figure out where you'll me most comfortable: lost in a crowd, like a shopping mall, or exposed to only a few people, like a convenience store. It may help to be some distance from home, where nobody knows you. It may also help to try it at a Renaissance Faire, com-con, sci-fi con, tattoo show, or some other counter-cultural event. But just do it.

And again, welcome to the group!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Welcome too from the other side of "the Pond!"

On the two barriers to enjoying skirts, I am happy with going out in public :D 8) but sadly do not have a supportive OH. :(

Just a bit jealous of you as spousal support and indeed suggestions from her is excellent news for you :mrgreen:

Hope to hear more from you soon.

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Welcome from another Ohioan. I bought my first Utilikilt in Dayton, Ohio at the Celtic Festival.
inohio10

Post by inohio10 »

I enjoy the Dayton Celtic Festival, nice venue good bands and the cost is free.
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

Welcome to the group. I am in Dayton, OH.