New to all of it

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
skirttime

New to all of it

Post by skirttime »

I've always enjoyed women's fashion...on women. Always thought dresses and skirts looked great on them. Still do. I was quite terrified of any kind of "dressing" mainly because of what other people would think. I also was concerned I might like the way I felt in a skirt and wasn't sure how I'd deal with that. Fast forward to 2013. In the past few years, as I've aged, my attitudes toward the "norms" have changed. What other people think just isn't quite as important to me. For me it's somewhat of an expression issue, as well as one of experimentation. I finally got up the nerve to purchase a skirt at a thrift store in another town. Actually tried it on while I was trying on some dress pants. I bought it and it fit perfectly. Loved pretty much everything about it. I wear skirts now on occasion, but haven't quite worked up the confidence level to "go out" very often. Not at all in my hometown. Tried on a utility kilt a few months back. LOVED it. I want one, or two, or...I feel I will be confident enough to wear one of those in public because of its "acceptability factor." As my topic states, I'm new to all of it. Just tried a few dresses this weekend, purchased in bulk by the pound at a thrift store. Never really thought that would happen. Not sure I'd go out like that...yet. But what I've discovered is that skirts and dresses give us a sensory aspect to wearing clothing that we just plainly don't get with the standard men's clothes. How many of us have ever said, "wow, I really like the way I feel in these pants?" Sorry so windy, but I'd love to discuss any number of topics here. It was this site that helped me work up the nerve to "go for it!" Thanks, guys.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New to all of it

Post by skirtingtoday »

skirttime - Good to hear that you are preparing to break the "tradition" of skirts are for women only. And loving the try-outs.

Most of us here have started similarly to yourself and have gone on from there.

Welcome to the site and hope to hear more from you. Hhow about a few brief details in the Introductions section - like where are you from and how does your family/friends look on it (or do they know yet)
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, skirttime!

As to going out, the first ten minutes of the first time out are the hardest. But overall, I think you'll be astonished at how little people care what you wear, and so you might as well be yourself.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
skirttime

Post by skirttime »

Yeah, caultron, I know...Very few people do actually notice. I checked into a hotel and hauled all my stuff up the stairwell past a woman sitting talking on a cell phone. Unnerved me a bit, but didn't seem to affect her in the least. I'm from small town upper midwest, which may explain a few things. I'm generally a pretty confident guy. Not afraid of public speaking, the whole nine yards. Yet, I've had difficulty with going out in a skirt. Then again, I've only been at it a couple of months. I'm sure I'll get more confident and comfortable with it. Family doesn't know what's going on as far as I know. Just my wife and I at home with the dogs these days. All the kids are adults. I think they would all be cool with it. Not sure about the wife. My original purpose, or the main purpose, was to try to find something more comfortable to travel in. My job calls for a lot of "windshield time." The skirt fit the bill-much better than baggy shorts, or anything with an annoying crotch seam. What I hadn't counted on was the fact that I really like the way I look. I'm relatively short in stature, and I like the line so much better than cargo shorts. Really crisp. I think I have the potential to really rock it. I generally stick to "menswear inspired" (isn't that a strange term?) cargo skirts or skorts. Pretty androgynous stuff, really. "Nuff for now.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Good to hear you're past the initial hump. Just keep up your confidence, keep up your bravado, and do, in gentle steps, let your wife know what's going on. Sneaking around and keeping secrets always come back to bite you.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirttime

Post by skirttime »

Don't plan on sneaking around. My wife knows I'm not opposed to the concept of skirts and kilts. My oldest son has done a few kilts and skirts, with good results. Waiting for a proper time. Update on today... Lots of windshield time. Got gas twice, went inside once, three rest stops, and checked into a hotel. All while skirted. Good skirt time today.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

That's cool about your oldest son. Maybe this thing is really catching on, eh?

And I'm glad you're getting out and around. It's much more fun than sitting at home cringing.

caultron
skirttime

Post by skirttime »

Update:Tried on a Utilikilt in Seattle. Now I know why they cost what they do. They are fairly expensive, but NOT overpriced. Material and workmanship is outstanding, and I like the look a lot. Will probably start kilting with one of those. Now the bad news. I thought the wife would be at least indifferent when I showed her a pic of me in it. She kind of had an "ick" attitude and got kind of standoffish about me appearing publicly in one. Have to soften her up, I guess. All my female friends and acquaintances that I've shown the pic have pretty much flipped out and said you HAVE to get one! I expected that, though. The ladies tend to like the look of a kilt on a guy. I don't know if they would want them on THEIR husbands, either, though. And I know one of them for sure would look great. Have assembled a nice collection of skirts in various lengths and styles, and all on the cheap. Amazingly enough, got them thrift shopping, and ALL of them have fit without trying them on, with no exceptions.
Also a couple of nice dresses that are actually fairly gender neutral. Not for outside the house at this time, though. Possibly I'll post some pics if I can figure out how to actually take them. Average cost of my items is somewhere between two and three dollars. A cheap hobby! Comfy and fun, and no one gets hurt. Keeping the public skirting at a minimum right now due to the aforementioned "issues." Plus, it gets really cold here in the winter. Peace.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

It gets cold here too. Customer came in wearing a Utilikilt today, I asked him how cold he can go in that. "I've worn it out in -15C and didn't need to change"

I also, have assembled a collection of skirts from thrift stores, missed out on perfect fit a few times, but it's still pretty cheap. Latest one was a lined wool plaid tartan, but on the diagonal, it went perfectly with a new wool sweater in a wine colour. GF started saying how well it woud go with her, wine coloured top, this could get bloody....
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

partlyscot wrote: GF started saying how well it woud go with her, wine coloured top,----
My S.O. often says similar things regarding some of my skirts. Actually this is a good thing, as I have enough alternatives if she has her mind set on the particular skirt I was going to wear to function, and it keeps her positive with the whole idea. :wink:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

I know how you feel. I've aged some in the last few years as well. ;)

Welcome to the club!
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
skirttime

Post by skirttime »

Thanks! My adult daughter appears to be on board with the kilt thing now. She thought I'd even planned to make sales calls in them. I guess I did say I'd wear them anywhere when my wife popped that question. ALMOST anywhere would be more accurate! I do have one guy on the route who's a kilter so I would be okay there. He does the tartans and was really interested in the utility type kilts when I told him about them. Especially the price! Soooooo. Wearing a longer black tiered job right now, which I thought might be a bit "girly." It's not. With a polo up top, long matching socks, and walking shoes, it still comes off manly, imho. Really comfy, too. Peace.
skirttime

Post by skirttime »

UPDATE: I have culled the herd, so to speak, and probably gotten rid of a few things I should have kept. Even with resistance from my S.O., I've found the utility type kilt appears to be the best way to go for me at this time. Not in the mood to fight a "skirt battle" right now, when I have kilts that have somewhat of an "acceptability factor" as compared to skirts designed for women. (No matter how masculine they may appear.) Plus they're comfortable, and I find they are probably a better expression of my fashion ideas anyway. I've found the Utilikilt "Mocker" to be a versatile piece, and well made. The Stumptown Kilt from Portland, OR, is probably the most unique product of this type out there. They aren't cheap, but not overpriced, either. Really cool design, and I've gotten a number of compliments on it in public. Also extremely well made, and some practical options, such as an adjustable waist. If you look into a Stumptown kilt, mention "snowstorm." I don't get anything for it, but we are tracking word of mouth advertising, etc. And no, I haven't paid full retail for any of the four kilts I own. The other is a Trinity kilt. Not quite as refined looking as the others, but super comfy, easy on and easy off. Happy skirting and/or kilting, whatever your choice may be!