Returning like a bad penny ?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Tim Stannard

Returning like a bad penny ?

Post by Tim Stannard »

Just wanted to say hello to all you cafe patrons,
My Name is Tim and I joined a while back, then lost my ID details, so I re-enrolled......................

Rather scary when I look back at how long ago I joined this forum, and then Toms Cafe before that.

Anyway, Nice to see you all again, Sadly miss my mate Hamish at the potted palm, but time moves on.
Currently slotting in a little time to rebuild my website bobclops, I parked it for a while, just too much other stuff to do.

I am really a skirt, Sarong man, I find Kilts not to my taste, But that is how we are, Some take sugar and others don't.
All a matter of taste, But I know the common ground for us all is the right of choice.!

Take care.
Tim from Lancaster in the UK.
While I was sitting and reading,
a thought just entered my head,
If I can't wear a skirt while I'm living,
I certainly can't when I'm dead!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Returning like a bad penny ?

Post by Charlie »

Hi Tim,

Nice to see you back :D :D

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Tim Stannard

Re: Aw shucks.

Post by Tim Stannard »

Thanks Charlie,
Pleased to see you are still alive and kicking.!

Very idyllic evening here, Large Rioja, Pasta and those Bl***dy church bells. Very twee.

Will endeavour to make the odd inspired contribution soon.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Good to see you back. We old vets just can't stay away.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dick Ackerman wrote:Good to see you back. We old vets just can't stay away.
Thanks, Dick. We youngsters would be lost without the pioneers like you and Tim, for indeed we stand atop the shoulders of giants -- giants that eased the way for blokes like yours truly. For that "greasing of the skids" when it comes to society this lowly chap stands in awe and is very thankful for your efforts.

One of the sometime laments I pick up on is that the realm of "skirtsmen" is confined to "those over a certain age" which I find very sad indeed. The first time I put on a skirt and felt a breeze properly caress my legs I recall commenting that, "I've been cheated all these years" -- and it was only the confidence of age that emboldened me. This needs to be properly told to "the youngsters" amongst us -- those who will, perhaps, with luck, follow in our footsteps -- so they may gain courage and the guts to be bold and buck the "rules" at earlier ages. They need not wait as long as many of us have.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Very well said Carl. I think the biggest problem with the young is they are to busy trying to fit in. The only way they dare to be different is if the whole peer group does it with them. I think that at my age (66) its more fun to make the rules than it is to follow them. I wear what I want, when I want and if someone doesn't like it its to bad for them.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Welcome back, Tim...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Tim Stannard

Post by Tim Stannard »

Thanks Dick,
As some of the pictures in my gallery are of you, I do wonder how many of us old geezers are still going.

It is very true, Age is a great motivator to try and do what you want before it is too late.

Anyone know if Bob Pettingell is still alive, I have a picture of his fabulous skirt made from ties.
That man has or had class.

Better get on with my day, tons to do and this isnt one of them.

Toodle pip
Tim Stannard

Post by Tim Stannard »

Ahem................
We youngsters would be lost without the pioneers like you and Tim, for indeed we stand atop the shoulders of giants -- giants that eased the way for blokes like yours truly. For that "greasing of the skids" when it comes to society this lowly chap stands in awe and is very thankful for your efforts.
As much as I appreciate the sentiments, Please dont put that accolade on me, I am no giant. I am just an old geezer who discovered the comfort of a skirt some time back and decided to tell the world and hang the consequences.
The guys out there who wear skirts as everyday attire deserve far more praise than I do, and I know at least one guy who has gone through a LOT to get where he is today. He will know who I mean.
I just wear what I want and when I want.

We all do our bit in a way that works for us.

At the end of the day, the more we are seen and heard, the more likely other men will try a skirt and discover its' appeal.
But Thanks for that, anyway.
ps: 4 yr old Grandaughter thinks my "skirt" is funny. A sarong actually. My daughter however, thinks I am weird
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have to wonder how women would react to a sarong-worn at the beach-by a bare chested, athletic young man.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Welcome (back) Tim. I do seem to remember the screen name "bobclops" from the distant past. Was that from the sadly defunct IMFF? I was a member of that forum until it's demise under a barrage of spammers. The behind the scene work of Carl, and the moderators, is to be commended and deeply appreciated.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Tim Stannard

Post by Tim Stannard »

Sarongman,
The background to the user name bobclops is ..........................
Well. I wanted a nickname for a skirt site, and initially I wanted to stay annonymous, so I used my cats name.

The cat was called Bob, but then he lost an eye, So we re named him bobclops.
The cat died a long time ago, lived to be 18. Good age for a cat.

Then due to business reasons, I needed to get my skirts site away from my business site, Brought home to me an old friend
who had googled me for business reasons and found my pages about skirts before anything on communications.

So I set up bobclops.co.uk and put my skirt site on there, For a while I maintained it fanatically,
Ultimately the site was picked up by the media when ever skirts for men hit the cat walk.
Always written up as " The latest fashion for men " , I spoke to newspapers and the BBC a couple of times,
That brought about the name radiostar So I use that as an email address, Still.

Makes me sound a little schizoid doesn't it?

In 2007 I had a heart attack and could no longer deal with the physical side of my business, and mentally took stock of my life and my near miss
( In the UK, 1 out or 3 men who have heart attacks fail to survive.)
So I decided that I ought to use my real name these days and not hide behind a nickname as really we dont have anything to hide.

I remember Nigel and his IMFF fondly, He was a pioneer and I am gratefull to him for being an early pioneer.
Also, Tom Manuel who was another major role model.

Forums, for me, seemed to be a bit repetitive, The same or similar questions time and again, So I stopped posting, then after a while I stopped visiting.
It was only when I guy I know. who lives not far from me, emailed to say he had joined the skirt cafe, I rememberd the forum and thought I would look in again
Carl amalgamated my posts, So I will try to stay in touch again.

As for bobclops co uk I have rebuilt it several times, Now I am doing it yet again. But only a phrase at a time.
Essentially it is a site to support men in skirts or similar, My thoughts and justifications etc.
I hope to refresh the gallery, Many images sent in by our old mates and others.
As you probably know Websites are never finished, they need to be updated or people stop visiting, To that end, I re feed my twitter on bobclops.
My twitter is almost always about anything other than skirts.
The thinking behind it is to get people to visit the site for other reasons and then see the theme is men in skirts.

Apologies for nattering on about things you didnt ask, but I got on a roll ! :D

Take care my friend.
Tim
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Tim :D

Great to read you again :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)