Hi there, I am new here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
fem_fun

Hi there, I am new here

Post by fem_fun »

Hello,

I am Lauren from LA and would like to suprise my husband with a kilt - he wore one during our Scotland/Europe trip last year and keeps talking about getting one, so I thought I get him one. We did not buy it as it seemed veryyyyy expensive over there if made really well. So I'll have a look around the forum...
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi there, I am new here

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Lauren,

Lucky man! Good for you getting one for him. And welcome to the forum.

Yes kilts in Scotland (where I am from) are veryyyyyy expensive but there are now a good many outlets in the States - for example

http://www.usakilts.com/kilts-and-packa ... -kilt.html - gets you a kilt for $100 and there is a good selection

For a non-tartan kilt you could do no worse than http://www.amerikilt.com/ (again just under $100 )

Also the more established supplier is of course http://www.utilikilts.com/ (who offer kilts min price $150 but there is a clearance sale on right now...)

Hope these outlets help you decide - I'm sure the Stateside members here will be able to provide further outlets.

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Welcome Lauren

Real Scottish kilts are very expensive indeed. But if you google for kilts you will find there are many kilt suppliers offering affordable yet attractive kilts.
More for less, so to speak.
For instance http://www.sportkilt.com, who offer soft, lightweight kilts with perfect pleatkeeping properties and useful pockets for less than $ 100.

Jan.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Lauren and :welcome:

You can get great products, prices and especially outstanding customer
service from www.Stillwaterkilts.com :D I have 3 of their kilts and I
suggest that you "Hang-to-dry" them instead of putting them in the dryer.
Also, if your husband's waist size is a 42 (for example) order a 41.
The '41' is the smallest that the kilt will go. The buckles and straps will
let the size increase up a size & 1/2.

Shipping is very quick :!: My last order from them was placed on a
Friday night around 10PM via their web-site. I received the kilts in
the mail the following Tuesday.

Have a great day :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
brucewmbazo

Post by brucewmbazo »

I have no experience with Utilikilts as yet. Because they are less expensive, I have purchased three Amerikilts, one olive, one saffron, and one limited edition navy blue. What can I say but that I love wearing them and cannot wait to purchase more of them. Keep it up, Mike.
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

Have a look at leather-arena on eBay. They have some really nice bespoke leather kilts for around 60 pounds. I got the Genuine Leather Scottish Style Hand Made Leather Plated Kilt and really like it. The pockets are on the small size though - not big enough for a smartphone, just a credit card, keys and a dumb phone.