Another new guy to add to the list.

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Danny

Another new guy to add to the list.

Post by Danny »

Hey there..

I just signed up for the forum after finding your link attached to an interesting article pertaining to... well.. bbq recipes, of course!
lol Kidding...Naturally it was related to Men wearing skirts.

I'm sorta new to this in the sense of wanting to... i dunno.. get some guts on this topic.
I have always felt more comfortable in skirts. I can enjoy wearing jeans and shorts too, but, to be honest there are many times (most times, even) I find them restricting.
My wife was the first to actually suggest I try some of her plain-longer/loosely fit(boho??) skirts. I was simply surprised by how much freedom and comfort I had.
Uninformed men everywhere are being ripped off by not knowing how much function and comfort skirts actually provide. (nothing new to this forum I suppose)

I have never gone outside publicly with it. I just simply do not have the guts to do it. I admire those of you here that can and will do it. My desire would be to do so.
I am not trying to be a cross dresser, nor do I look like I am when I wear them. In fact, if I may say so, I think I look pretty good in my skirts and my wife agrees!
Without doubt, I do believe this gender stigma with skirts is utterly ridiculous. I believe that wholeheartedly, but, at the same time, society is the way it is.
Is it worth the stares and social whipping? meh I don't know, but I absolutely hate feeling trapped by silly social standards. In some sense it feels like a lose-lose situation.

Anyways, I found your board and thought it would be cool to chat with some like-minded folks. Perhaps I'll get some insight or perspective that I has been lacking.
I am, however, blessed to have a super cool wife that totally agrees and even buys me skirts. lol Go figure. :D

So with all that being said... Hi! My name is Dan and I'm a skirtaholic. lol
-Danny
Milfmog

Re: Another new guy to add to the list.

Post by Milfmog »

Hi Dan,

And welcome to this cozy little corner of cyberspace.
d.m.r. wrote:I have never gone outside publicly with it. I just simply do not have the guts to do it. I admire those of you here that can and will do it.
Until you do it you just don't realise how little guts are actually required. The hurdles really are in the head of the wearer with this. That first time out in a skirt is amazing a huge adrenaline rush as you expect the world to stop turning then...

...nothing. No one really cares (except, possibly, those closest to you).
Without doubt, I do believe this gender stigma with skirts is utterly ridiculous. I believe that wholeheartedly, but, at the same time, society is the way it is.
That is, of course, a truism. However, society is not how you may think it is. Most folks just don't care or maybe don't notice; they are simply too busy worrying about their own lives to care about yours.
Is it worth the stares and social whipping?
Never experienced any "social whipping". None. Not even the vaguest hint of it. I expected it but it was just an imaginary demon dreamed up by my own over-conditioned brain. Even looks are less common than you'd expect (let alone stares).
...I absolutely hate feeling trapped by silly social standards. In some sense it feels like a lose-lose situation.
If you don't want to feel trapped, prize the bars apart and walk free. When you actually do it you will wonder why you put it off for so long and will know that you have just won your own freedom.

So settle down and have a read of the posts here (there is a mine of wealth in there somewhere) and when you are ready, skirt on, chin up and out and get 'em. Trust your Uncle Ian; it will be fine and fun.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Danny

Post by Danny »

Thanks Ian!

To be honest, I have never seen any guy in my city wearing a skirt except the normal goth-goer or the guy at the arts-festival with a long beard and is shaking back-and-forth mumbling to himself next to the light pole. lol

I am neither of those of two categories. I'm actually just your average looking guy. I'm not extreme per-say (I guess except this, of course lol) but there are certain stigmas that I enjoy but cannot seem to overcome the fear of public reaction. This being one of them.

I have considered maybe taking a skirt with me and going somewhere outside of town and trying it there. Maybe some day my wife and I could go.

Thank you for the nice welcome! I am curious to see how this forum effects my courage (so-to-speak).
-Danny
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome d.m.r.. You are younger than my youngest offspring. Where do you live? I see on your profile you list fishing and music among your interests. You won't have to delve far into my posts to see that we concur on both fronts. (& you can mine Ian Milfmog's wealth while you are at it!)

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

It's good to see a new face around here. The more real, participating people joining, the more hope that a critical mass is about to occur. In this, I am the great optimist. In having a supportive wife, you have a great advantage over some on this forum. (Thankfully, so have I.) Maybe you should find what is the most comfortable, that also means confidence here, and the two of you find a civilised part of the world and step out together. We all felt nervous, to say the least, the first time but, surprisingly, the sky doesn't fall in after all. :welcome:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Danny

Post by Danny »

Kirbstone wrote:Welcome d.m.r.. You are younger than my youngest offspring. Where do you live? I see on your profile you list fishing and music among your interests. You won't have to delve far into my posts to see that we concur on both fronts. (& you can mine Ian Milfmog's wealth while you are at it!)

Tom.
Hi Tom. Thank you for the welcome.
I live in the eastern U.S... The winter is FINALLY starting to break and so (like every year) around this time, I start looking into this topic more.
It's easier to set it aside when there's snow and i'm freezing my behind off. lol

You said, "we concur on both fronts". Do you mean fishing and music?
-Danny
Danny

Post by Danny »

Sarongman wrote:It's good to see a new face around here. The more real, participating people joining, the more hope that a critical mass is about to occur. In this, I am the great optimist.
Thank you, Sarongman.

Honestly, I wish this wasn't an issue at all. The idea of wearing skirt outside is very VERY new to me. After visiting here and reading a few other online articles, today, my wife and I talked about it more because the desire in me to do it grows stronger. I think it's because I hate the silliness of it all. I mean, why can't I do it? I'm not talking about anything crazy or showing anything off when I bend over lol.. It's just a simple piece of clothing that I find much more comfortable.

LOL Look at me trying to argue myself into doing it with this reply. Bah! This drives me nuts.

However, later today, (at the suggestion of my wife) I put on a skirt that went to my knees (Usually I wear long ones.. floor sweep). I'm looking in the mirror and we both are thinking it looks feminine. I mean, the ONLY difference between that skirt and a pair of my shorts was a couple inches of material in the middle and yet it still struck us as feminine looking. This comes from 2 people that are very open to this (obviously) and fully understand that this is social stigma brainwashing... and yet.. still... our brains were telling us it looked feminine. :/

If a couple people like my wife and I can have such a good grasp on the situation and yet still see it that way, how much more of those who are close minded? They will not view it as a man choosing to wear a skirt, but rather, they will view it as a man wanting to look like a woman. I have to admit, it was a huge setback for me tonight, so I apologize if this seems on the negative side, especially as your first encounter with me. But honestly, that's why I joined this forum. I really need to get my thoughts out and get some fresh intake on it. Aside from my wife there is absolutely no one I would dare discuss this with.
Sarongman wrote:In having a supportive wife, you have a great advantage over some on this forum. (Thankfully, so have I.) Maybe you should find what is the most comfortable, that also means confidence here, and the two of you find a civilised part of the world and step out together. We all felt nervous, to say the least, the first time but, surprisingly, the sky doesn't fall in after all. :welcome:
I am very fortunate. Sometimes I can hardly believe she is so cool about it. I mean she even suggested my getting one of those Utilikilts because she thought it would look "sexy on me". I was floored by it to be honest. lol However, we priced them out and about fell over . I would kinda like to get a cargo skirt of sorts.. That is, the ones that look like cargo shorts but are, of course, a skirt. I would feel much better trying one of those in public first because they look like more like "guy" shorts.

Sometimes I feel crazy for putting myself through this. lol Just conform and be done with it.. but.. mehh I'm too damn stubborn. I have never been one to follow the masses. I have always been one that needs and wants to have self expression, but, obviously I have my fears.

Alrighty, now that I have officially dumped all this on all of you, I will click submit and wonder what in the world drive me to do this. LOL

BTW... Does anyone know how I can have my HandleName changed to just 'Danny'? I wasn't thinking when I picked my handle. :/
[Moderator note: name changed as requested - Ian.]
-Danny
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Danny wrote : "I would kinda like to get a cargo skirt of sorts.. That is, the ones that look like cargo shorts but are, of course, a skirt.... because they look like more like "guy" shorts. "

I presume cago shorts are the long baggy ones with pockets on the sides. If you think these look masculine, it is just because present-day fashion tells you so. When I was a kid, men wore almost knee-length shorts, army-style. Masculine. As teenagers, we rolled them up short, and the manufacturers took the hint and started selling short shorts. Masculine and sexy! When I was a young adult, men's shorts vanished from the streets, and to be masculine we wore long tight trousers. And so on. Fashions change, and so do our notions of smartness and masculinity.

I'd say the one consistent thing for men's clothes is to be plain and dull-coloured. :-(

I hope you soon find a style you like, Danny, and will feel comfortable wearing it -- first at home, then out and about.

Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes,
I did mention those two,Danny. My Musical poison is piano & church organ, also 'tin' whistles, which I play in a trad. Irish group. Choral singing is very large as well. I croak Tenor.
Fishing is for the freshwater migrant speckled fellahs, North Atlantic Salmon and Sea Trout. Ireland is well endowed with fishing grounds for these.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Danny wrote:[...I mean she even suggested my getting one of those Utilikilts because she thought it would look "sexy on me". I was floored by it to be honest. lol However, we priced them out and about fell over.
Try one of these:

Http://www.utkilts.com

http://www.etsy.com/search?q=Kilt&view_ ... =US&page=1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Kilt
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron