Hello from Surrey

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
skirtPlusPlus

Hello from Surrey

Post by skirtPlusPlus »

I've long been an admirer of the skirt but I've only really recently realised that there's no real reason that I shouldn't wear one if I feel like it rather than just seeing them on members of the opposite sex. How rooted assumptions become when they are left unchallenged!

So, I've acquired five skirts of various lengths and styles which I've only worn around the house although I don't see a reason not to wear out and about, on occasion. I'm 36 and a size 14, or a size 12, or a size 10 depending on the bizarre whims of the brand which seems to give me a lot of potential choice.

I work as a computer programmer but I doubt I'll be wearing to work, although I admit that the prospect of commuting by train and tube in the Summer might be a lot more pleasant in a suitable skirt than in trousers.

Anyway, hi!

sPP
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Surrey

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi SkPP & welcome.

Where abouts in Surrey? I married a lass from Surbiton straight out of 'the good life' and she keeps a menagerie at home + a big veggie garden and barters eggs &c. &c. I get to tending all this & these skirted at times, but I'm waiting for warmer weather.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtPlusPlus

Post by skirtPlusPlus »

I live in the outSkirts of Woking. I whizz past Surbiton on the train every day. I won my only competitive croquet match at Surbiton CC.

Talking of The Good Life, it was sad to hear of Richard Briers' death, he was very much a radio voice of my childhood.

I do the bare minimum of gardening, mowing in the Summer and some hedge trimming. Mowing is an activity that will definitely continue to be a jeans activity.

sPP
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah yes, the old commute to Waterloo. At least the suburban trains don't have slam doors anymore and they're sort-of heated. Croquet just has to be the most vicious game invented....akin to Collisseum Lions Vs Christians. I'm surprised a civilised person like yourself indulges.
Yes, I lament the passing of Richard Briars. He gave a great deal of pleasure to a lot of people. They were saying on Radio 4 that he should have been knighted long ago.

Re. Mowing: My MM.(MenagerieMistress) mounts her Mountfield 'Ferrari' and does all the lawns & paths and sometimes even the front field!, but last year because of the Eternal Wet we had to abandon our croquet/football lawn to watermeadow as she just couldn't get in there with her machine.

Mirabile dictu, we've just had four consecutive dry if cold days and it's amazing how the place has dried up. Maybe we will once again be able to invite croquet mallet-wielding gladiators again in 2013.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

skirtPlusPlus wrote:size 14, or a size 12, or a size 10 depending on the bizarre whims of the brand which seems to give me a lot of potential choice.
Welcome to our corner of cyberspace, which makes the world such a small place! We seem to be the same size, (I agree, sizing in skirts is very hit and miss--always try on or take a tape measure) We are a mixed age group here, but all share that "subversive" view that skirts on men are not only okay, but a right. Grab a virtual coffee or tea and enjoy the company.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
skirtPlusPlus

Post by skirtPlusPlus »

This morning I was lounging in a reasonably short denim skirt and warm tights when the doorbell rang. As my wife was busy, I answered the door to the postman who showed no sign of shock, surprise or interest in my attire. I thanked him politely and the world continued as normal.

Hello, outside world!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, skirtPluPlus!

Postmen have probably seen all sorts of unusual things, it just washes over them!

I was similarly dressed when I went out to the shops this morning. Nobody seemed to care - most people don't. (In some of the shops they would be more surprised to see me in trousers!) I went for a haircut. A small boy was ahead of me in the queue. Pre-school children are either too busy doing their own thing to notice, or they stare, slack-jawed. This one didn't seem to notice, just like his father and the staff.

So let this morning's little incident be the start - step across the threshold skirted!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

skirtPlusPlus wrote:This morning I was lounging in a reasonably short denim skirt and warm tights when the doorbell rang. As my wife was busy, I answered the door to the postman who showed no sign of shock, surprise or interest in my attire. I thanked him politely and the world continued as normal.

Hello, outside world!
I too have been in the house skirted (awaiting a delivery of furniture) and had on khaki cargo skirt 17" long with small splits at the sides (they were about 3" long) and a plain white T-shirt. The fellows delivered the 3-piece suite which I had to direct them through the garage to get them in and round to the lounge - which was too tight to manage from the front door.

No comments from them either when I paid the remainder of the cost (we had only put down a deposit) or during the delivery.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

People really don't care what you wear.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron