Toms Cafe

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Voyager

Toms Cafe

Post by Voyager »

Hi, I used to be a regular on Tom's Cafe and Chris's Atrium before that, from about 2001 to 2006, but drifted away from the various internet forums. However my love of wearing skirts as a man is still as strong as ever and I have a collection of about 20 skirts, including Utilikilts. I was one of the team that met Steve Villegas in London and dined with him when he was in his formative years in developing his business in Seattle. Hamish, who many of you know as the Kilted Legend, is one of my closest friends.

I went under the username of Bernie, which is actually my real name, but I can't seem to log in with that, probably because I have changed e-mail accounts.

Anyway, that's the introduction and here is the main reason for this e-mail. My sister is an author and has written two books, and is keen to write one about a man who loves wearing skirts but has struggled all his life against the Western Society in which he lives. The book is based on my skirt-wearing life over the years.

I am trying to get access to all my old posts in Tom's Cafe in which I describe to everyone my "skirting skirmishes" where I would bravely (or stupidly) walk through a busy English town centre in my latest above-the-knee number (mostly pleated I have to say).

So if any of you guys remember me and can help me out, I'd love to hear from you. And if anyone lives in Dorset/Hampshire and wants to meet up and have a natter, please drop me a line.

Regards

Voyager (aka Bernie)
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Toms Cafe

Post by crfriend »

Voyager wrote:Hi, I used to be a regular on Tom's Cafe and Chris's Atrium before that, from about 2001 to 2006, but drifted away from the various internet forums. However my love of wearing skirts as a man is still as strong as ever and I have a collection of about 20 skirts, including Utilikilts. I was one of the team that met Steve Villegas in London and dined with him when he was in his formative years in developing his business in Seattle. Hamish, who many of you know as the Kilted Legend, is one of my closest friends.

I went under the username of Bernie, which is actually my real name, but I can't seem to log in with that, probably because I have changed e-mail accounts.
Welcome back, Bernie.

I looked for your old username and could not find it. Sometime back in 2003 or so (I think) there was a switchover from vBulletin to phpBB which is what we run now. All the content from Tom's should have been brought across, but it may have been time-limited in some way. Many users' accounts made the jump, but it may be that some of the ones that were semi-inactive on Tom's may not have come across. I was not involved with the cutover (as I had not yet joined, but was likely wearing skirts at the time), but I imagine that it was a semi-painful process. I do not know if a pristine backup of the final state of the vBulletin database survives. We'd have to get in touch with the final administrator for Tom's to find out.
I am trying to get access to all my old posts in Tom's Cafe in which I describe to everyone my "skirting skirmishes" where I would bravely (or stupidly) walk through a busy English town centre in my latest above-the-knee number (mostly pleated I have to say).
You should be able to locate the oldest posts fairly easily by going directly to the oldest sections of each forum. There's also a search utility that may be of assistance. Your sister's project sounds like it might be interesting.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Re: Toms Cafe

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Bernie and :welcome:

Sorry I've been remiss in not posting to you.
If you've read any of my 'recent' posts about
being a care-giver, you'll understand why I've
not been around much.

I didn't get to meet Tom but have had several
emails with him before he passed. Tom turned
the 'board' over to Noodles who then turned
it over to Bob. Bob has since turned it over
to Carl (crfriend). I hope this helps you follow
the 'chain of events'.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)