Hi, I'm Brad

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Hi, I'm Brad

Post by Brad »

I'm a new member who is really an old member. I go way back to the early 2000's when this board was Tom's Cafe, run by the the late Tom Manual. I also used to follow the now-defunct Kris' Atrium. I used to be in the middle of flame wars between bravehearts and freestylers. I have the battle scars to prove it As a freestyler myself, I often felt alientated and used to be in the moderator's dog house.

It looks like this gap between bravehearts and freestylers has thankfully narrowed. I've been lurking for awhile and wanted to give this another chance.

I attended the Million Skirted Men event in New York in February, 2004 where I wore a denim miniskirt, pantyhose, and high heeled pumps. This was too extreme for some and I was flamed for weeks for that. A picture of me was published in the New York Times. This is the article http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/08/nyreg ... under.html but my picture does not appear on this site.

I want to participate in this forum again. I've seen alot of good, intelligent comments from people. I hope to participate in some thought provoking dialogue and I'll try to stay on the good side of the moderators.
Uncle Al

Re: Hi, I'm Brad

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome: Brad :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

(Also a former member of Tom's Cafe' :D )
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Brad,

Welcome back...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Welcome Brad, from a confirmed "Braveheart". Some of my more redneck comments have stirred some on this board in the past but, I am fairly broadminded under the 'ocker' exterior. It's just a matter of where the boundaries are of one's own personal comfort zone and what one perceives as positive or deleterious to our cause. :mrgreen:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi welcome back
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Brad

Welcome back

I recall the opprobrium you experienced. It was understandable, but embarrassing.

There are many of us remaining from the past; I date from 1997. Most, if not all of us are completely unaware of Tom's Cafe, and the broad church that was represented and accepted then.

You present as a male, albeit with heels etc. I support you. Good to see you again.

Ray
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Since my last post, I found the picture of me from the New York Times article posted here-- http://gothamist.com/images/2004_02_meninskirts.jpg
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hi Brad, and welcome back, from a relative newcomer!

Look at what those strange people on the right hand side of the photo are wearing! I hope you politely told them to get skirted or get lost!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Welcome back!
I think a lot of the Freestyler versus Braveheart debate calmed down thanks to places like http://www.xmarksthescot.com/ hosting an independent "kilt styles only" community.