Jim introducing himself

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Jim introducing himself

Post by Jim »

I just registered. I wear skirts from time to time. I had a skin irritation between the legs a few years ago and not having clothing touching it was very helpful, but I also found I preferred the comfort of skirts. I mostly wear skirts that many at first glance have assumed were shorts. I usually just wear denim or khaki shorts cut about 4" above the knee, and my skirts are mostly styled the same way, also in denim or khaki with belt loops, fly and pockets. I don't pay much; I just get them at the thrift store. My wife likes me to wear skirts. I wear them around the house or in my work farming (especially when it gets hot); rarely in more public places. A few friends were a little bothered by the feminine clothing and suggested (and lent) sarongs. Comfy also, but I like my pockets. Also I'm a little uncomfortable with how different it looks.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Jim introducing himself

Post by skirtyscot »

Welcome, Jim!
Jim wrote:My wife likes me to wear skirts. I wear them around the house or in my work farming (especially when it gets hot); rarely in more public places. A few friends were a little bothered by the feminine clothing and suggested (and lent) sarongs. Comfy also, but I like my pockets. Also I'm a little uncomfortable with how different it looks.
Excellent that your Mrs likes you to wear skirts. You are in a happy minority here! But what does she think if you wear them away from home?

And your friends are more with you than against you. They didn't suggest going back to shorts, after all!

Once people have seen you in a skirt a couple of times, they will stop noticing that you look different - it will just be what you wear. So don't bother about that!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Welcome to skirtcafé Jim.

I have been wearing skirts and fashion kilts for decades now.
The only thing that can force me into pants is the weather!

:welcome:

Jan.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Welcome to the forum from one of the few Aussies here, I agree totally about pockets and always check to see if they are deep enough for the things a bloke needs to store there, being unconcerned about the bulge that so worries others. What sort of a farm do you have? As a person who spent a long time getting my hands dirty and callused in God,s own occupation, I'm intersted. :mrgreen: :thewave: :welcome:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Hazy

Post by Hazy »

Sarongman wrote:Welcome to the forum from one of the few Aussies here
Hi Jim,

Another aussie here who likes skirts :)

Cheers,

Neil
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Thank you to all who responded for all the welcomes!
Sarongman wrote: What sort of a farm do you have? As a person who spent a long time getting my hands dirty and callused in God,s own occupation, I'm intersted.
We mostly have berries: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and grapes(yes, they're berries). We also do a variety of vegetables and melons. We sell through CSAs and Farmers' Markets.
skirtyscot wrote: Excellent that your Mrs likes you to wear skirts. You are in a happy minority here! But what does she think if you wear them away from home?
It's fine for our weekly church potluck. Seems to depend on her mood for more public times. We both agree that it could detract from business selling at Farmers' Market, and we already look weird enough standing on the street corner at a weekly peace vigil that more "weirdness" could be harmful.

I tried the message preview, and it is not showing the quotes properly. I'll post anyway. If the quotes do not appear properly formatted, I'd like to hear how to do it write, or have the web technical folks here fix it. Thanks.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Welcome jim.
Farmers Markets and weekly Peace vigils? It sounds like my village.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Thanks for the information. I like the idea of CSAs but they are a European and U.S. phenomenon and have'nt caught on here yet as far as I know. Possibly, they may be alive in the alternative area of Northern New South Wales centred around Nimbin and Murwillumbah, but otherwise the major supermarkets have the general populace well and truly under their thumbs.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard, Jim!
Sarongman wrote:I like the idea of CSAs but they are a European and U.S. phenomenon and have'nt caught on here yet as far as I know. Possibly, they may be alive in the alternative area of Northern New South Wales centred around Nimbin and Murwillumbah, but otherwise the major supermarkets have the general populace well and truly under their thumbs.
CSAs pretty much require a "critical mass" of folks who are willing -- and able -- to support them in order for the notion to catch on. I see no particular reason why they couldn't catch on in Oz, especially if there is that undercurrent of folks who are interested in sourcing foodstuffs locally and are willing to put up with the seasonality that entails -- and I suspect it's the seasonality that drives folks to the supermarkets. Transportation -- with all its faults, vices, and emissions -- plays a key role in our modern quality of life, and that's one place where CSA, of necessity and by design, fails.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Jim,

Been on holiday for 10 days and have been busy since - anyway a belated welcome to you! :D

It is good to hear of your wife being with you - there are a good number of wives on here that don't like it, unfortunately including mine. :(

However, recently she said that I could wear a sarong on our beach holidays (which I did with her approval :shock: ) and she says she is OK with it in the home. 8) Watch this space...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Maybe I have missed the relevant post, if so I apologise, but what is a CSA?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Big and Bashful wrote:Maybe I have missed the relevant post, if so I apologise, but what is a CSA?
Child Support Agency? Childhood Sexual Abuse? Canadian Space Agency? All these were suggested by Acronym Finder. However, I suspect Co-operative selling agreement or community supported agriculture may be closer to the mark.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:[... W]hat is a CSA?
It's "Community Supported Agricuture", a notion whereby members of the community buy shares in the farming venture and get a share of produce in return.

There are several successful ones in our region, but the notion does not scale particuarly well when it comes to items that are not in season. For instance, you'll get a lot of vegetables at harvest time, but then you'll have to preserve those to carry over to the next harvest.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Oh, just realised I didn't, so- "Hello Jim!" Another new friend at the cafe!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

crfriend wrote:but the notion does not scale particuarly well when it comes to items that are not in season. For instance, you'll get a lot of vegetables at harvest time, but then you'll have to preserve those to carry over to the next harvest.
This is precisely what our ancestors did and, is still practiced by the Amish and, to a degree, by the Mormons. As far as buying food trucked, and sometimes flown, long distances, there is a trend that eschews such practices who are called 'Locavores' I.E. if it's not in seaon, it's not eaten.