Grandson (2) only wants to wear sisters shoes!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Grandson (2) only wants to wear sisters shoes!

Post by skirtedMarine »

In front of his Mom ,(My daughter in law) who was visibly embraced about the fact that her Son only wants to wear his sisters High heel pink shoes, I had the Priveledge to tell my grandson ;
"Why Not Boy, Its not fair that the girls get all the fun stuff, Take a walk on the wild side".
There is no reason for Kids to be indoctrinated into a train of thought that regulates any kind of clothing as "Gender specific" My Daughter in law ended up laughing it off and got this old retired Jar head another beer.
Aloha from Kaneohe, Hawaii, Thanks You all for the Kindred Spirits over the years . Just knowing I wasn't alone makes my life more tolerable.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Grandson (2) only wants to wear sisters shoes!

Post by Kirbstone »

You didn't say, SkM, how old your grandson is. If he's 7 or 8 it's just fun . If he's 17 or 18 it's crossdressing.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

Sorry, Tom, I disagree with that. He may be accused of crossdressing, but we all know it's just society putting us in a box.

TomH
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedMarine »

I am a juniior Member here Tom K, Its like being a PFC again,(Proud Frickin Civillian!)
So Ill show You some respect, as I disagree, Point out the subject line; Grandson (2)
I should have said (2 years Old) for folks that have been trained by society to put everything into a nice neet little box and say "Crossdressing!, Its the Devil!...", but thanks for the input, it shows me the arrogence and double standards within our own ranks.
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedMarine »

Thanks for back up Tom H, You are a credit to this group.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard, skirted Marine!

I quite sincerely doubt there's even the slighted bit to worry about with a 2-year-old, but there is some sensitivity to "traditional" crossdressing in the forum and that occasionally bubbles over.

We're a rather diverse lot here, and are tied together by some level of frustration of the way that men who decide for "one tube versus two" tend to get treated in Western civilisation, and we all seem to have "tipping points" where even we can get into a knee-jerk mode. I, myself, plead guilty to that charge but generally speaking will try to be as objective as possible. So, read up on things here and you'll get a feeling for the personalities.

I take it from your moniker that you wear skirts. What's your style?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedMarine »

Thanks for the heads up , crfreind, As for my style, I would say knee length cargo for casual, also have a knee length pin stripe skirt suit comming in this week, don't know if I'll have the ball to wear it in public yet, Seems like theres no way society will become accustomed to Men in skirts unless we get out there, but if I didn't have anything to lose (Job, Marriage House, Etc) it would be easy to Do my part.
I am sending my sister in california $20.00 for Lotto, not much of a chance that I can say "to Heck with them all! But its a hell of a daydream!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtedMarine wrote:As for my style, I would say knee length cargo for casual, also have a knee length pin stripe skirt suit comming in this week, don't know if I'll have the ball to wear it in public yet, [...]
It's tough to go really wrong with cargo skirts, so that's always a good kicking-off point; the skirt-suit sounds like it might be a winner, but if you're not absolutely confident with your "alternate fashion sense" it'd likely be best to stick with the cargo in very casual settings until you do get comfortable (in all senses of the word) with skirts.
Seems like theres no way society will become accustomed to Men in skirts unless we get out there, but if I didn't have anything to lose (Job, Marriage House, Etc) it would be easy to Do my part.
Step one is to find out if those closest to you (wife, kids, parents, &c.) are on-side with you; if they are, life will be a lot easier and you at least don't have to worry about the marriage going south. From the experiences posted here, one generally won't have problems with friends after the initial shock wears off that you've got both legs covered by a single tube; you'll get some playful ribbing over it and after a while that will be that. Families are hardest to predict, but if you've got them with you much of the game is won. Work can be a bit of a problem, mostly depending on what you do; if you're "public-facing" companies can be notoriously conservative, but if you're in an internal-only role that may not apply. I wear skirts to work very frequently and get no grief, but I'm in an internal position that does not involve external customers.
I am sending my sister in california $20.00 for Lotto, not much of a chance that I can say "to Heck with them all! But its a hell of a daydream!
Play your cards well, grow your own confidence, and see where they fall. If one never tries, one can never succeed. (Note: this is different from the lotto: one stands a vastly higher probablility of winning in this venture as it's mostly up to one's own character rather than random numbers and ridiculous odds.)
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedMarine »

Terrific and profound input (crfriend) Thanks for your encouragment!
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Welcome aboard, Marine! Us Navy types (TM-1 (SS)) always like to have a few Marines around in case of emergency. As crfriend said, we are a diverse group and -- this will be a shocker-- sometimes we have divergent views. For the most part though we adhere to a live and let live philosophy. For anyone to think your grandson, at the age of 2, may somehow be out of line is just silly. But I really doubt that that is what Kirbstone, being a real sort of fellow, meant. I think he just missed the header.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedMarine »

Thanks Bob, No swabbies have my respect more than bubble heads, I can only imagine that life , (Thanks for serving)
as for Kirbstone missing the header, not a big deal, as a hard headed Irish Bastard myself, I am sure that He and I have much in common.
so at what age spacificly does someone become a crossdresser? And what item of clothing constitutes the Fruoidian Religion definition of "crossdressing"? I can honestly say that I don't want to be a female, I just want to be comfortable, and if my Grandson at the age of Two, or Twenty two is comfortable in pink pumps, I am not going to lable him with some society B.S. just because I am a hard headed Irish Bastard.

As for the black pisnstriped skirt suit comming in this week, it is a knee length, pleated skirt with man sized pockets, and the same belt line and front closure a mens dress pants , what the heck am I going to do for shoes, (I'm not into pumps) any Ideas if I work up the courage to go out in public?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtedMarine wrote:so at what age spacificly does someone become a crossdresser? And what item of clothing constitutes the Fruoidian Religion definition of "crossdressing"?
I suspect the answer there is, "It depends." Personally, I would discount the notion of "orthodox crossdressing" in an individual before they (neutral term, there) achieve puberty and a sense of sexual self-awareness; after that point, it's likely down to what society overlays on them. Before puberty, there's none of the complexity that sexual desire and urges can inject into the equation, so one can look at it as the very essence of curiosity and, even, play; afterwards, however, things get more complex.

From a strictly analytical point of view, one would think that whether a guy prefers a skirt (or skirt-like) garment over trousers but that's clearly not the case in our western society. One only needs to take a look at south-Pacific and southeastern-Asian cultures to see that. Fiji, Samoa, and Bhutan stand out as examplars. It's also worth noting that up until surprisingly recently, it was perfectly normal for children of both sexes to wear dresses as that affords the parents better access to the assorted bits at the end of the tube away from the loud noise. Pictures exist of Theodore Roosevelt -- a "man's man" if there ever was one -- in remarkably frilly dresses from his younger years. However, that never translated well into adulthood, and over the intervening time the "box" which guys are expected to sartorially inhabit has grown ever smaller as the gals encroach on the boundaries and scare the guys (who don't want to be perceived as effeminate) farther inside.

Now, "What constitutes 'crossdressing'?" That's a bit of a loaded question as it's open to personal interpretation, and everybody's got a different idea of it -- a different "threshold", if you will, where the line gets drawn. The psychiatric profession has its own definition, which, interestingly, can only apply to men, and only applies if the behaviour causes the "sufferer" (the "victim", the one who's "broken", &c.) distress. I've got my own definition, and in my case the line gets drawn when somebody is actively masquerading as the opposite sex and it takes either a very close and critical look (or a grope -- not recommended, but used to tremendous hilarity in one of the Crocodile Dundee movies) to tell what one is looking at; so my definition is quite distinct and leaves a lot of room open for experimentation on the part of the male of the species.
I can honestly say that I don't want to be a female, I just want to be comfortable, and if my Grandson at the age of Two, or Twenty two is comfortable in pink pumps, I am not going to lable him with some society B.S. just because I am a hard headed Irish Bastard.
That's a key determinant, and one that distinguises this place from the plethora of "orthodox crossdressing" sites on the 'Net -- we are men first, and we just think outside of the box when it comes to clothing. We also do not assign "grades" of "worthiness" on "how far one is along the path" -- it's all down to how one feels and whether his look "works" on his frame. (I have laid a few eggs in that regard myself and have been "called out" on it.)
As for the black pisnstriped skirt suit comming in this week, it is a knee length, pleated skirt with man sized pockets, and the same belt line and front closure a mens dress pants , what the heck am I going to do for shoes, (I'm not into pumps) any Ideas if I work up the courage to go out in public?
Since it's a suit, I'd look first to the sorts of shoes you'd normally wear with a suit. First and foremost, that's easy, and a good man's dress shoe, possibly paired with long(er) socks can work quite well indeed. A full-length mirror is a useful investment in this case; the moment you put something together that makes you wonder, "Who is that in the mirror?" speaks concretely statement of failure -- a look that you shouldn't wear in public. Recall that at this point in time there are no "rules" for how a man should wear a skirt or any of the associated accoutrements; there is some peril in this, but if one let's one personal taste guide him he shouldn't be too far off.

I am a big believer in the notion that whatever one dresses himself in before heading out to face the day must be "believable" -- i.e. folks won't take a look and mentally go, "What in blazes am I looking at?"; one wants the observer, either casual or critical, to think to themselves, "Wow. That looks good!". Obviously one cannot be successful in that aim 100% of the time any more than a baseball-player has ever hit 1000, but one should strive for it. To do less is to court disaster and ridicule -- which no right-thinking man ever wants to do.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi SkirtedMarine,'
I seem to have raised your hackles, for which I apologise. At 2 yrs. old everything is just play, so I'm a little surprised you should even mention it, frankly.

I have 7 grandchildren, Grandsons, 15, 7 and 3., Granddaughters 12, 12, 9 and 4 months!, quite a gang, and as far as I'm concerned, they can wear what they like. I certainly am not in a position to influence them. The most important thing of course is to contribute towards the enjoyment of their respective childhoods when they are in my/our company, which is seldom enough, as 5 of them live on that other (roughly) isocoles triangular-shaped island to the East of here, where they've been having a lot of fun recently.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedMarine »

CRfriend, quite a reply, this is getting too deep! (I asked for it!) Thank you for the mental Masturbation, You have my respect for a grand scale command of the English Language,and ability to work it all out, may I ask what you do for a living? I am honestly quite impressed, (Don't tell me You are a shrink!) :D

Thanks again!

Kirbstone,
No worries, I didn't really get my panties in a wad ( figurative, Ha Ha ) its all good and I hope I haven't offended You.
Thanks for your kind reply
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtedMarine wrote:CRfriend, [...] You have my respect for a grand scale command of the English Language,and ability to work it all out, may I ask what you do for a living?
Well you did ask.

I suppose the wiseguy in me would answer that I am a shrink, but that would be a falsehood; I work with computers, and have done so for my entire professional career. As far as my "command of the language" goes, I find myself continually getting in trouble for it at work with the higher-ups; however, I really love the language, and try my level best to do it justice even if doing so occasionally causes grief. That said, I thank you very much for the compliment!
Thanks again!
You are more than welcome.
Kirbstone,
No worries, I didn't really get my panties in a wad ( figurative, Ha Ha ) its all good and I hope I haven't offended You.
Thanks for your kind reply
This exchange points up the primary reason I love this forum so -- it's civilised. We can disagree on things in a genteel manner, and if feathers get accidentially ruffled they're quite quickly put right. That doesn't mean we all agree with one another -- nothing could be farther from the truth -- but we manage to disagree in a civil manner. I would like to think of that facet, along with higher-than-average intelligence, as a hallmark of the chap who dares to challenge convention with what he conceals and warms his lower body with.