Grandson (2) only wants to wear sisters shoes!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Grandson (2) only wants to wear sisters shoes!

Post by Sarongman »

Funny thing about real down to earth millionaires is that you'd pass them in the street and not think they were any better off than a regular bloke (guy to you Americans) The exception to that is Dick Smith who is so well known that he can't pass unnoticed. Although he has a very capable helicopter and a light plane, he drives a regular Holden car and eschews the 6 figure sum Beemers or Range Rovers. He is not a miser though as he gives generously to causes and is not pushing his nose in to politics. The posers are conspicuous and probably have more in common with Hyacinth Bucket.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Scott,
Curiously, the girl I married is English....a tall athletic international sportswoman (Ladies' Lacrosse), who still plays serious league tennis at age 66.

In 1967 I first holidayed in Canada/US and all Eastbound return flights tend to fly off in the evening, overnight on the 'plane and fly into the dawn before landing, and Yes, Ireland is very emerald green from above after several hours of blue-white-blue during the crossing.

Also, yes, I'm aware of the historical significance of the 'Boston Tea Party', hence my allusion to it in that post. Alas I have only just found out tonight that my intended participation in a selfish boys' trip for a few days to Boston for a rowing event (The Head of the Charles) in October has been thrown out the window by our friends, several of whom want to home in on just that weekend (20th/21st) to assemble at our holiday bolthole for a musical soiree before the clocks go back.

My MM (Menagerie Mistress) is our social secretary and she had offered likely suspects a choice of several weekends in October, and most of them plumped for that one. I am of course required to be there, so that's that!

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:[...] I'm aware of the historical significance of the 'Boston Tea Party', hence my allusion to it in that post. Alas I have only just found out tonight that my intended participation in a selfish boys' trip for a few days to Boston for a rowing event (The Head of the Charles) in October has been thrown out the window by our friends, several of whom want to home in on just that weekend (20th/21st) to assemble at our holiday bolthole for a musical soiree before the clocks go back.
I have one word, and I hope I shall be forgiven for my French.

Merde! :sorry:

Methinks I may need to ramp up the research on a transatlantic voyage (by ship) sooner rather than later, but the sheer scope of what I want to see in Europe and the 'Isles beggars the imagination, the time available, and the budget. What's a skirt-wearing sysadmin to do?!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedMarine »

I was watching the movie "crimson Tide" thinking of People like BobM the torpiedo Man, a former
First Class Petty Officer, Hope He didn't get offended when an old " Jar Head" used the term "Bubble Head" with respect, as I havent heared from Bob since, and bieng that I was olny on a Nucular Submarine Once Have a grand regard for those Patriots.
R/S
Scott
skirtedMarine
Distinguished Member

Sea Stories

Post by skirtedMarine »

I would like it if Someone like Bob M started a topic entitled "Sea Stories" B.S. that alot of Us could relate to, add to, and appreciate.I have a couple stories to tell, but I don't like center stage, better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove any doubt.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

skirtedMarine wrote:better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove any doubt.
Mark Twain's quote if I'm not mistaken---and a good one.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod