Hello from Boise, Idaho

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
chogan1975

Hello from Boise, Idaho

Post by chogan1975 »

I am new to the forums, but have been feeling like I have had a jealousy of women, and skirts for most of my life. I have kept this feeling to myself coming from what would be a smaller town and having manly figures and negative associations with any man that was outside the norm.
That was until this week, over the last couple of years I have lost a LOT of weight in total 120 lbs. One of my fitness routines as of late is running, but one thing has been bugging the stupid men’s running shorts would always ride up. With pride this week I ordered my first skirt for running, and will try it out tomorrow on my first LONG run 13miles. I have also on order a kilt and another skirt that should be coming in next week some time.
I am struggling right now, I know it is just clothing and I am a guy but some at least one family member is having an issue with my discovery, they used the term exploring my feminine side, there is not exploration I am a man I like ladies not guys, but feel being confined by pants and or shorts is just unreasonable. I will post back here this weekend how the run went in the running skirt.
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Re: Hello from Boise, Idaho

Post by MrUtopia »

Good luck to you.
I hope you find your strength and the support of those around you to wear the clothing of your choice, skirts for men. The benefit of the comfort and freedom is worth the effort.

Peter
www.TheFreeman.com.au
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Hi chogan1975,

Skirts and kilts are by far the most comfortable garments or MUG's, for men and women alike. I 've been wearing 'm for over 38 years now. :welcome:

Happy skrting, Jan.
chogan1975

Post by chogan1975 »

Well sadly was not happy with how i looked in the running skirt, so i am sending it back. I did find a mini that come to my knees when i stand and sit last night. Looking at another black skirt that has a longer back for when i sit down. But am realy happy with what i have found so far. I was actualy in the womens section of the store yesterday *wink* looking for a skirt for my girl friend. Now i get to introduce the skirt to one of my family members, that i am getting more resistance than i ever expected this will be fun.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

chogan1975 wrote:Well sadly was not happy with how i looked in the running skirt, so i am sending it back.
That happens rather frequently when one is in the early stages of settling on a personal "look". This is why the accepted wisdom is to frequent thrift-shops and the Bay of E; one gets to experiment with different looks without blowing a whole wad of cash. Once one is confident that he has his look "right" then he can start to spend real money on it. I find it's also useful to work towards a look that can work either with skirts or trousers.
I did find a mini that come to my knees when i stand and sit last night.
If it comes to your knees when you sit, it's not a mini. :wink: If you're going to work with minis get set for a lot of work readjusting most of the way you've learnt to sit as a guy.
Now i get to introduce the skirt to one of my family members, that i am getting more resistance than i ever expected this will be fun.
Adjust your responses to the tactics that your family will use, and make sure that they are aware that there is no subtext going on (that is if there isn't one). Also, don't go completely on the defensive all at once. Ultimately, if they keep prodding at you simply ask them point-blank, "What is it with you? Can you not understand that this is simply a fashion choice (or statement) and precisely nothing else?"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I don't wish to be argumentative, Carl, but I'm not sure that "fashion choice" is the best argument -- "real" men are not supposed to be interested in fashion, after all.

I feel the only reason against which there is no argument is anatomical. My genitals don't fit comfortably in tight trousers. It may not be the done thing to talk about one's private parts in public, but if anyone is crass enough to criticize your choice of clothing, then they must accept straight talk in return. Of course the anatomical argument may also be given/taken in jest and should relax the atmosphere.

Martin
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

To go back to the running skirt topic :
Does a skirt worn for sport need to be long enough to sit in? I'm not a runner, but for longer walks or for cycling, I prefer short skirts, even though I would not use them when visiting friends and spending time sitting down. The longer the skirt, the heavier and the more friction rounf the legs. The shorter the skirt, the more care needed to remain "decent", which is not something I worry about when taking exercise.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

couyalair wrote:I don't wish to be argumentative, Carl, but I'm not sure that "fashion choice" is the best argument -- "real" men are not supposed to be interested in fashion, after all.
I didn't take it that way at all, Martin. The main reason I put it in quotes is that the term is a bit of a parody of itself and usually used in a sacrastic manner -- especially "fashion statement". The actual thrust of the argument is, "no subtext".
I feel the only reason against which there is no argument is anatomical. My genitals don't fit comfortably in tight trousers. It may not be the done thing to talk about one's private parts in public, but if anyone is crass enough to criticize your choice of clothing, then they must accept straight talk in return.
That's a very valid observation, and could possibly take the doubter aback a bit. However, it leaves the question dangling (pun deliberate) as to what's worn under the skirt and may not be useful if one actually wears stuff -- even boxers -- under the skirt.
Of course the anatomical argument may also be given/taken in jest and should relax the atmosphere.
Indeed. However, I regard "The Question" as highly inappropriate except from those with whom we are already intimate.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
chogan1975

Post by chogan1975 »

Ok, my kilt showed up and the negative family member didn't flinch. My only thought is since it is a kilt and not a skirt that she can make it ok with me having it on.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hi Chogan1975, you could let her see you in the kilt a few times then move on to a moderately kilt-like skirt, or have a conversation with her about your kilts & skirts.

Whichever way, make the most of your decision to go skirted!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
chogan1975

Post by chogan1975 »

Was out in public for the first time with my kilt yesterday. At first it was interesting, but once i warmed up it was very liberating. :D
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Be sure to make the most of your new-found freedom!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Hi and welcome to Skirtcafe and the world of Freedom.
You’re not exploring your feminine side, at least no more than a Scottish warrior or and Roman centurion. Truth be told, you are actually exploring traditional men’s clothing, its everyone else that are still conditioned to thinking that a unbifurcated garment has something to do with femininity.
I also run in a skirt which is absolute freedom and comfort and makes the running 100x for enjoyable. Everyone has the same problem with shorts; they ride up and chafe.....so why the hell do we put up with it if there is another option that eliminates that. Unfortunately people are so set in society’s ways that they can’t do anything different, even if different is a much better way.
I am running now in a black netball skirt which is like a short kilt. I run at night when I get home from work, but at night NOBODY notices I am wearing a skirt so its great. Many skirts for running to are made to shape a woman’s figure and are very short so they don’t look that great on guys. Try looking for a skirt that is just a straight A-line and with a little more length, then it will look good and easily mistaken for shorts.
chogan1975

Post by chogan1975 »

Holy resistance. I am getting a lot of push back from said family member. One of the comments was your grandfather would be rolling in his grave, i can't see you in a skirt(aka you won't ware a skirt in front of me). YOu won't ware that in front of xx person will you? It is getting really frustrating. My new kilts are on the way will be here monday evening, I will have them on as soon as they get here, sorry i won't go with her wishes.

I just don't get it, a family member that I love a lot is being the most unreasonable person ever. sigh I just hope she will get over her self so I don't have to hide this when in my own house, but i have come up with a plan ware the kilts for a couple of weeks then instead put one of the skirts on instead, and walk out she doesn't like it to bad.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well, Chogan1975, read what other members (including me) say and you will quickly find that you are not alone! Your nearest and dearest are the ones most likely to object. Sad but true.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair