An Englishman living in France

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Kneelength

An Englishman living in France

Post by Kneelength »

I have been wearing skirts around home most evenings after return from work for several years.

A couple of years ago I started wearing it when we go out for a day’s sight seeing. Sometimes I will wear a formal top and other times with a simple white shirt to be more casual.

On the first occasion we were approached by an English man who commented on seeing a kilt in France.

On the second occasion both of us were aware of “head turning” as we walked by which let my wife to be somewhat nervous about me wearing it in public.

However I persisted and over the last year I have worn it for about 4 days and neither of us have been aware of any one staring. The only interaction was with one lady who enquired where I was from.

Looking forward to our next weekend away.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: An Englishman living in France

Post by couyalair »

I find the French to be very discreet, generally taking (or pretending to take) no notice of kilt or skirt. Most seem to know about Scotland and the traditions, and I've never met open disapproval. The only giggles or rude comments here come from less well-educated foreigners.

Martin (now in Grenoble -- where are you, Kneelength?)
Kneelength

Post by Kneelength »

Hi Martin

I live in Haut Soane - about 80km from Basel. Lovely place and as you say generally nice people. Not sure how they would react to a bloke in a skirt that was not of Scot origins.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Kneelength wrote:Not sure how they would react to a bloke in a skirt that was not of Scot origins.
There's one surefire way to find out... :wink:

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

As has been said many times here, you do not have to be Scottish or have even a drop of Scottish blood in you to wear a kilt or skirt.

Well done in going for it - and also well done in having a supportive wife with you!

Great news! Look forward to hearing of your next excursions.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Kneelength wrote:... generally nice people. Not sure how they would react to a bloke in a skirt that was not of Scot origins.
While your voice may betray you, your home address is not written on your face. I'm quite sure people will automatically assume you are Scottish and will approve the pride you take in your "origins" --- tartaned or not !

Martin
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

couyalair wrote:I find the French to be very discreet, generally taking (or pretending to take) no notice of kilt or skirt. Most seem to know about Scotland and the traditions, and I've never met open disapproval. The only giggles or rude comments here come from less well-educated foreigners.

I'm just back from putting the discreetness of the French to the test for a fortnight. (Hi again Martin!) Most seemed not to care. One woman who I passed on entering a public toilet (the gents', though in her defence the ladies' was locked) waited outside with her friends until I came out, and when I had gone a few paces by them I clearly heard the words "Il porte une jupe!" followed by gales of laughter. Discreet they were not.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

If you'd been able to stay a day longer in the Vercors, Alistair, you'd have seen four other men in kilts (and several young ladies too). No-one seemed to object to our presence! Perhaps, if we had sported denim skirts, there would have been more raised eyebrows, but tartan surprises no-one over the age of 6.

On the other hand, my venerable age may dissuade the gales of laughter ... No point in laughing at a poor old codger with one foot in the grave, is there.

Martin