Greetings from sunny Spain

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
RickFreestyler

Greetings from sunny Spain

Post by RickFreestyler »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but have been wearing skirts at home pretty much full time for the past few years.

The climate here in summer dictates lightweight clothing, and I find denim minis and short cargo skirts ideal when pottering around the house. I have an understanding wife who would now probably be more surprised to see me in jeans or shorts.

Since I'm in reasonably good shape, I prefer minis, which I regard as an alternative to shorts. I also happen to think they look and feel better on me. I long for the day when I can go out (other than under the cover of darkness, or in open countryside) in my chosen attire.

I have been to parties in minis, but these have tended to be events attended by somewhat "alternative folk". I'm from the UK originally, and would be interested in hearing from like-minded members here on the forum. I've been following HEJ, and would be particularly interested in attending get-togethers with men's skirts as a theme.

All the best,
Richard
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings from sunny Spain

Post by skirtyscot »

Hi Rick, and welcome!
RickFreestyler wrote:I prefer minis, which I regard as an alternative to shorts. I also happen to think they look and feel better on me. I long for the day when I can go out (other than under the cover of darkness, or in open countryside) in my chosen attire.
That day is today. You just need to take our courage in both hands and go for it. Unless, of course, your wife isn't as understanding as you say, and she is stopping you.

You should head for the Costa del Sol and go for a Cruzcampo with Couyalair.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

HI Rick,
I'm glad you have an understanding wife - wish mine was!! And I wish too that I lived in a warmer climate that permitted more short skirt wearing days that up here in 'sunny' Scotland :scotland:

Here we get two to three good warm sunny days in the year then the could and rain returns. There is a saying here, "If you can see the hills, it's going to rain and if you can't see the hills, it's raining!" :D Only here can we get 4 seasons in one day.

And as SS has already pointed out, the only problem in wearing skirts outside is your own courage and confidence. I'd say go for it!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

You are not alone in wearing a skirt in Spain. It's my everyday attire in Malaga & Torremolinos (kilts in winter), and the locals may be surprised but they are getting used to it.
Wife approves, and I have not needed to be bifurcated in the last ten years, except during a short stay in out-of-the-way parts of Morocco.

Althought there are a lot of kilt-wearers (special occasions only, of course) in both France and Spain, neither I-Hej nor InterMis seem to be making any impact, and the particpants in the corresponding forums are no more numerous than when they groups began. I've had e-contact with a skirt-wearer in nearby Ronda (Andalucia), but we have not met yet.

Where are you living, Richard?

Martin
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: Rick!!
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
RickFreestyler

Post by RickFreestyler »

[quote="skirtyscot"]Hi Rick, and welcome!

[quote="RickFreestyler"]I prefer minis, which I regard as an alternative to shorts. I also happen to think they look and feel better on me. I long for the day when I can go out (other than under the cover of darkness, or in open countryside) in my chosen attire. [/quote]

That day is today. You just need to take our courage in both hands and go for it. Unless, of course, your wife isn't as understanding as you say, and she is stopping you.

You should head for the Costa del Sol and go for a Cruzcampo with Couyalair.[/quote]

No, it isn't my wife stopping me, I've actually been surprised that she no longer tells me to put trousers on when bringing in the washing, so that the neighbours don't see me in my skirt. It might have something to do with the fact that my new (and favourite) mini resembles cut-off jeans.

Might take your advice and meet up with Couyalair. I used to live in Andalucia, Granada to be precise. Wouldn't wear a skirt around Granada though, enough people used to point and stare/laugh at me just for being foreign. I got out of there when a job in Madrid came up.
RickFreestyler

Post by RickFreestyler »

skirtingtoday wrote:HI Rick,
I'm glad you have an understanding wife - wish mine was!! And I wish too that I lived in a warmer climate that permitted more short skirt wearing days that up here in 'sunny' Scotland :scotland:

Here we get two to three good warm sunny days in the year then the could and rain returns. There is a saying here, "If you can see the hills, it's going to rain and if you can't see the hills, it's raining!" :D Only here can we get 4 seasons in one day.

And as SS has already pointed out, the only problem in wearing skirts outside is your own courage and confidence. I'd say go for it!
Hi skirtingtoday,

I was in Edinburgh last November, and the weather was quite mild, so much so that I considered donning a kilt after seeing a lot of guys out and about in theirs, both during the day and out in the bars and clubs. I was pleasantly surprised to see that.

I often get a running commentary from the locals here in Madrid on my appearance/the way I'm walking etc., and that in itself is unsettling enough. Not quite ready yet for the public ridicule I would be subjecting myself to by going out in a skirt, and Madrid is quite tame in that sense compared with Granada, where I was living previously.
RickFreestyler

Post by RickFreestyler »

couyalair wrote:You are not alone in wearing a skirt in Spain. It's my everyday attire in Malaga & Torremolinos (kilts in winter), and the locals may be surprised but they are getting used to it.
Wife approves, and I have not needed to be bifurcated in the last ten years, except during a short stay in out-of-the-way parts of Morocco.

Althought there are a lot of kilt-wearers (special occasions only, of course) in both France and Spain, neither I-Hej nor InterMis seem to be making any impact, and the particpants in the corresponding forums are no more numerous than when they groups began. I've had e-contact with a skirt-wearer in nearby Ronda (Andalucia), but we have not met yet.

Where are you living, Richard?

Martin
Hi Couyalair,

By now you might have read my other posts. I'm living in Madrid, although I lived for a time in Granada, but had quite a lot of negative experiences there with the locals, and that was when wearing conformist attire. I get the impression that other Andalusians are, on the whole, pretty laid back, and that the granadinos have a reputation for being uptight.

What sort of reactions do you get when you're out and about? Do you notice much difference between being in Malaga capital or in Torremolinos?

I'm also on InterMis, but don't visit the site for months on end.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

RickFreestyler wrote: I was in Edinburgh last November, and the weather was quite mild, so much so that I considered donning a kilt after seeing a lot of guys out and about in theirs, both during the day and out in the bars and clubs. I was pleasantly surprised to see that.

I often get a running commentary from the locals here in Madrid on my appearance/the way I'm walking etc., and that in itself is unsettling enough. Not quite ready yet for the public ridicule I would be subjecting myself to by going out in a skirt, and Madrid is quite tame in that sense compared with Granada, where I was living previously.
I live and work in Edinburgh so if you are over here in the future, send me a PM and we could meet up for a few beers and/or a meal.

The weather was unseasonably mild last November - I am just waiting for Summer to arrive here as the temperatures are struggling to get into double figures at the moment and is probably colder than when you were here!

I have had very very few negative comments whilst skirted and none whilst kilted. Scottish mentality is always reserved so very few would pluck up the courage to speak to you at all.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

RickFreestyler wrote: What sort of reactions do you get when you're out and about? Do you notice much difference between being in Malaga capital or in Torremolinos?
No difference, but I'm not on the lookout for reactions.
There are so many foreigners in the coastal towns that the locals are resigned to being surrounded by unruly ruffians, overweight slackers, barely dressed bodies and drunken layabouts -- as long as they spend some money, of course. Compared with many of the tourists, I feel well-dressed and well-behaved. Yes, raised eyebrows and some staring from the older people, but right now, most of the Spanish seem to have too many worries on their minds (unemployment, uncertainty) to bother about a man in a skirt (especially a rather ancient one).

Martin
skirtingseattle

Post by skirtingseattle »

Welcome, Richard.

I too prefer minis for knocking about the house, but my wife is still uncomfortable with the idea of my being out and about in them. She is quite alright with my utility/sports kilts, which I often wear around town on the eastside (Bellevue) and downtown (Seattle) - but not for work.

Seattle is not the best weather for minis, but have worn minis out in weather to 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 C) with no problems. It has been a few years since I have been out in a skirt manufactured for the opposite sex in deference to my wife's wishes, but I am hoping to assuage her concerns in the near future.

Good luck.

Chris
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

Hi, Having just come back from a 10 day holiday in Torrevieja, Spain (Thanks mum :D ) I can confirm that the climate there is ideal for shortish lightweight skirts. Alas, same mum is not even comfortable with me in a kilt, so no opportunity for me to wear a skirt while on hol with her. :(