Introducing myself

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Introducing myself

Post by trainspotter48 »

Having been moved to add a post to the 'Sightings in the wild' forum, I suppose that I had better introduce myself.

I live in SW England, and I have been a silent lurker here for a while. I first experienced skirted garments when I ordered some full length nightshirts from a company that seems to have ceased trading. My wife has supported me in this including making some additional ones.

I have purchased a cheap kilt (from Get Shirty in Edinburgh), and also various items from the other side of the aisle, but haven't had the courage to 'go public' yet.

As regards my username, having been born in 1948, I spent many hours in the early 1960s on station platforms and in loco depots collecting train numbers, and am still involved in railway preservation.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Introducing myself

Post by crfriend »

Greetings, Trainspotter48! It's nice to finally read you.

Congratulations on your spotting of a chap in a skirt the other day; those seem to be almost as rare as hens' teeth. 'Tis all the more reason to set a good example!

If you're contemplating "going public" -- and it's good that you have your fair lady on your side -- recall that you will be vastly more conscious of yourself than anyone around you will be of you. Pick something moderately inconspicuous, or wear a kilt (those are always accepted with little question), and sally forth with your head held high.

Another point of interest is how many folks here like trains and other conveyances. You're in good company!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rogerbigfish

Post by rogerbigfish »

Hi and welcome,
I am also in the SW of England, North Devon and have been in ksirts and kilts for more than 10 years. People in general around here seem to be fairly accepting of a man in a kilt or skirt or at least are polite enough not to make you feel uncomfortable, though what they might be saying in private may be entirely different. Where abouts in the SW are you?

Roger.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
I use to like trains because the people who ran them paid my wages I was a Blacksmith for BR
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Roger and Richard

I live in that large metropolis known as Bristol, and get to play with the train set at Didcot from time to time.

John
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I would suggest using the kilt for your first public excursion. My first public experience was wearing a Utilikilt - I felt an accute psychological discomfort (as though I was violating a taboo), while at the same time feeling an unusual physical comfort. But at least one can explain that one is kilting, if anyone asks.
Last edited by Grok on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Welcome to our corner of the web John,

I've worn kilts and skirts in Bristol on a number of occasons and never noticed even a whiff of disapproval, let alone hostility. Walk tall, look confident and feel the empowerment flow into you. Those first few skirted excursions were truely exhilarating precisely becasue they were such total non-events for everyone else.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Hi Trainspotter48 from Northish Devon. As Rogerbigfish said, what people think of us in the privacy of their own brain is up to them.

I am vintage '47 and did my trainspotting on the often lonely, empty, soul searching station of Ilfracombe in the 60's, armed with my dog-eared Ian Allen ABC. More often than not it would be a West Country or B of B class steaming in. I always longed to be somewhere a bit busier but my school bus pass didn't allow it. I now play with trains in the garden.

Kilts and skirts are perfectly acceptable down yer, or at least not causing many waves in the West Country fashion culture of board shorts.

Pete
Man in a skirt

Post by Man in a skirt »

Well Welcome aboard and it's nice to see a fellow foamer, even if y'all are from across the pond!! (I belve the proper British translation for "foamer" is "basher"... but I may be off...)