Greetings

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Greetings

Post by BobM »

I'm not really all that new here. I joined Tom's Cafe in about '96 or '97 and was quite active for a number of years. Eight of us, including Tom, got together and had picure mugs made with the eight of us on them. I still have mine. After Tom died it changed pretty quickly and I drifted away. For the last several months I have been lurking here and I like what I see.

For me a skirt is a skirt. I have 8 or 10 'proper' kilts, and probably 50 or more regulation skirts. I like my kilts fine, but they are -- to me any way -- best for hiking or on-the-feet activity. On the other hand, soft loose skirts are great for everything. I especially like one style I have that is done in godet fashion and is 24" long and 264" around the bottom, yet they hang pretty much straight down. I have a half dozen of them in light denim, and three in polished cotton. Nothing finer.

Anyway, I have been wearing skirts by preference all my life even though back in the day it was pretty risky, I have encountered very little negative opinion in the last 30 years or so. BTW, I'm advancing into middle age at 64, and my wife of decades has no problem with my skirts.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Welcome back, from a relative newbie. :)
Is that a typo, or do you wear the mother of all circle skirts? 264" in circumference at the hem? :?
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I can give you some info on flared circle skirts. I used to sew them. It's made from a whole bunch of pieces, only about a half inch wide at the top and 6 inches wide at the bottom before sewing the edges together and adding the belted waist and belt loops. A waist that is 36 inches around has a hem that is 216 inches in circumference with a skirt length of 30 inches. The formula for these finished parts is 1/2 an inch at the waist and 6 inches wide at the hem. Add a full petticoat or two and you have a great swirling dance skirt, for doe se doeing all over the floor with your partner. If both of you are wearing similar skirts it becomes a fantastic sight to behold. Contrasting colors make it even brighter and different. Like blue skirt over white petticoats for the man and red skirt over blue petticoats for the woman. A wonderful combination of colors swirling over the floor. :D :D :D

Lots of modern dance clubs are used to dance skirts worn by men as well as women. The men usually wear cowboy type long sleeve shirts and cowboy hats. "The times, they are A changing"..~~~ :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Welcome back
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Welcome back... Am sorta in the same boat re: kilts vs skirts these days. Although, kilts have become more relegated for formal occasions or for the highland games for me. The rest of the time, a normal a-line or pleated skirt does the job.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

skirted_in_SF wrote:Welcome back, from a relative newbie. :)
Is that a typo, or do you wear the mother of all circle skirts? 264" in circumference at the hem? :?
Nope. Not a typo. They are in fact double circle skirts. There are 22 panels, each about 1.5" wide at the waist, and 12" wide at the bottom. They are incredibly nice. I also have one by the same maker that is a single circle, having half as maney panels.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Just multiplying up an eight-yard kilt gives you 288" of material - mostly in the pleats at the back. Hadn't thought of it that way before...

I am sure I have seen that type of double skirt with wide flares on dances such as Whirling Dervishes - looks good
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

No wonder my 12 yard kilt is heavy!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

BobM wrote:
skirted_in_SF wrote:Welcome back, from a relative newbie. :)
Nope. Not a typo. They are in fact double circle skirts. There are 22 panels, each about 1.5" wide at the waist, and 12" wide at the bottom. They are incredibly nice. I also have one by the same maker that is a single circle, having half as maney panels.
Boy, did I learn something new here. :oops: The biggest bottom hem circle I have is maybe 60"
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

BTW, I'm advancing into middle age at 64, and my wife of decades has no problem with my skirts.
INTO middle age at 64...actually, you're advancing OUT of it. For men, 70 is still considered the first year of OLD age. I know this is true 'cause I got there last November 1. and I've had 7 ilnesses since then. Serious ones too...3 different internal problems, Duodenal Ulcer, P.A.D. (peripheral artery disorder) my sight is leaving like it was falling off a cliff and I lose balance easily.. I'm 70...I am NOT looking forward to 80...although I wouldlike to see it. :faint: :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/