Good day from Villa Park, right out side of Chicago

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Kiltsr4guys

Good day from Villa Park, right out side of Chicago

Post by Kiltsr4guys »

I was searching some topics on the web...Toms Cafe and this site came up. Have I arrived at the new and Improved Cafe. I used to be a member of Tom's Cafe and remember Tom as the Chief moderator. I'm also aware of his passing some years ago. Any one in the Chicago Area feel free to send me a message. I'm retired (AT&T 42.5 years) and have some considerable amount of time on my hands at the moment. I do venture out often wearing one of my kilts, have been doing that for the past 12 years, and it's still and adventure each and every outing.

Some of my hobbies...Member of the Chicago Highland Rifles <--- Ceremonial Color Guard
Member of the 2nd U.S. Sharpshooter Co. B <-- Black powder Shooting Club
"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake"
azhiker

Re: Good day from Villa Park, right out side of Chicago

Post by azhiker »

cool, i was born in villa park. not that anyone cares. lol.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kiltsr4guys wrote:I was searching some topics on the web...Toms Cafe and this site came up. Have I arrived at the new and Improved Cafe.
Yes, this site is the direct lineal descendent of Tom's Cafe, and although many of us here never met Tom, we strive to keep the site as true to the original intent as we can. The intent certainly remains the same -- to advocate for skirts and kilts as a fashion choice for men.
I do venture out often wearing one of my kilts, have been doing that for the past 12 years, and it's still and adventure each and every outing.
That's the whole point! Every time any of us ventures forth into the world in either a kilt or a skirt we're making a powerful statement -- that we will not be defined by a narrow interpretation of style -- and we're all ambassadors for that. Congratulations on twelve years; that's longer than I've been at it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kiltsr4guys

Post by Kiltsr4guys »

azhiker wrote:cool, i was born in villa park. not that anyone cares. lol.
The place has not been the same sense they closed down the Oval-tine Plant, they have now turned into Condo's. I also miss hearing that steam whistle that used to blow at 8am 12 noon and 4:30p....You could hear the thing for miles away. Working for the phone company, which was a block away, we started, ate lunch and quit all to the sound of that steam whistle. I wonder who ended up getting that thing and I wish it was still working, it would be a shame if it were sitting inert on some wall or something. Villa Park is still a nice town, I moved just outside of the city limits to an acre lot that is so nice..... good to hear from an ex patriot from Villa Park
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake"
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi kiltsr4guys. You may have noted elsewhere but we are going on a trip Stateside this year in Late June.

That is 3 days in NY followed by a week in Chicago. I would not "be allowed" to bring a skirt there by Mrs ST who would blow a fuse at the idea! :evil:

Good to hear that kilts at least are good to wear over there. Do you know if there is a Utilikilt shop there or something similar? If there is I might persuade the missus to go past it and you never know...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

It would save you the horrendous international carriage loading, ST. The big problem with ordering anything from the US is the postage costs, which are frequently nearly as much as the purchase price!

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

skirtingtoday wrote:I would not "be allowed" to bring a skirt there by Mrs ST who would blow a fuse at the idea!

What if one just happened to fall into your bag? :roll:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirtyscot wrote:
skirtingtoday wrote:I would not "be allowed" to bring a skirt there by Mrs ST who would blow a fuse at the idea!

What if one just happened to fall into your bag? :roll:
Yeah!
"Can I keep it - it followed me home" ?!
"It was just my size - I could not resist" !
And if I wear it on the airplane flight it won't count as excess or overweight baggage !
Don't worry about the TSA. The pat down will be a breeze in more ways than one !

Well so much for that malarkey - good luck whatever happens !

"Skirted-Kilted-What-Difference-Does-It-Make-?"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !