Hi from Michigan, and a question about footwear.

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
jpatw

Hi from Michigan, and a question about footwear.

Post by jpatw »

Hi All,
I have been following this forum for a while and I like what I read, and all the inputs. So, here I am.
I started wearing skirts in the spring of 2011.
My wife seemed OK with it, and she even gave me her hand-me-downs to try on and keep if I liked them, before they went to charity. So I spent a good part of last summer and fall in skirts around the house, and outside in our semi-secluded lot. Over the past year I accumulated 17 skirts, see my post in “HOW MANY SKIRTS DO YOU OWN?” if you are interested in the details. I didn’t wear my skirts much during the cold winter here in Michigan, but now that we are having an early and warm spring, I am breaking them out, and again, my wife is OK with it. I am a lucky guy to have her approval.

Now, a question to the forum. What kind of footwear do you wear with your feminine type of skirts?
Since I like the feel, freedom, and unencumbered lightness of wearing a skirt, I don’t want to feel bogged down by wearing men’s big clunky athletic shoes or sandals. So I like to wear women’s flats, or my lightweight flip-flops. Does anyone have opinions or inputs about this issue? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks !
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Hi from Michigan, and a question about footwear.

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: JPat. Were her skirts hand-me-downs because she never wears anything but pants now??? Fashion is really something, a million women start wearing pants instead of skirts and a billion skirts get sold or pitched in the can. OR given to their husbands who just discovered how comfy skirts are and FIT the male body far better than the skirts FIT the female body. The Romans had something there. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
jpatw

Post by jpatw »

Since1982 wrote:welcome: JPat. Were her skirts hand-me-downs because she never wears anything but pants now???
No, the hand-me-downs were because she lost some significant weight, and was/is determined to keep it off. A funny thing happened here. With me wearing skirts so much, she started to purchase skirts, and now wears them more frequently than I can remember. Talk about a win-win situation for her and me.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

jpatw wrote:
Now, a question to the forum. What kind of footwear do you wear with your feminine type of skirts?
Since I like the feel, freedom, and unencumbered lightness of wearing a skirt, I don’t want to feel bogged down by wearing men’s big clunky athletic shoes or sandals. So I like to wear women’s flats, or my lightweight flip-flops. Does anyone have opinions or inputs about this issue? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks !
What kind of footwear do you wear with your feminine type of skirts?

I would have to say that I don’t ever wear “feminine” skirts. For me, wearing a skirt as a man is about defeminising the skirt and wearing it in a masculine way and therfore I look for skirts that are masculine looking, similar to shorts or I wear a kilt. Usually boots or hiking shoes are a very masculine element to making the whole skirted image look masculine, but if you are looking for something more comfortable then men’s flip flops would be best. For some men, women’s shoes may be a better and more comfortable fit, but if your desired look is to be a man in a skirt and look masculine then having a second item of clothing that is generally seen as women’s clothing will make that masculine look very difficult, and will be boarder lining on the crossdressing look. Usually one item at a time is ok, but when it is more it starts to look very feminine. This is my own opinion, but I hope you do find your look that you are happy with and confident in.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I wear either my normal work shoes (black) or a pair of trainers. And usually with white ankle socks. Or in the winter just passed, black tights.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

I wear mens skirts and fashionkilts because they are so much more comfortable than pants with their irritating inseam.
Many utility kilt wearers wear more or less heavy boots, probably to emphasize their masculinity.
I however prefer soft comfortable shoes like dockside's or similar. Good sandals are ok too.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Hiking boots, athletic shoes, casual shoes, whatever my feet will tolerate on a given day. Legs are covered with kneesocks, either nylon trouser socks or regular kneesocks, depending on the weather. Prefer my upper legs to be uncovered to avoid any sweatiness. So, tights, ph, and thigh-highs are out.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
gerrycola

Post by gerrycola »

I just wear my regular shoes, Chuck Taylor All-Stars. They're inexpensive, lightweight, comfortable, and they make it seem like I'm not trying to dress like a woman. However, I have seen a few girls around town that pair a skirt with these shoes. Most people my age wear these shoes, they're pretty common. I try not to dress too differently than I normally would.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Before I wore skirts I wore jeans or cargo shorts, a tee shirt, and sandals. It's the same now, only with a skirt or a kilt instead of pants.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Same here, just my normal shoes. I agree with skirtrevolution, though I do wear skirt and thick tights when the weather is cold enough.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtsforall

Post by skirtsforall »

If you are going to wear a feminine skirt then I see nothing wrong with complimenting it with flats or fem sandals. If you are wearing a masculine skirt then choose mens footwear.