Hi from NY

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
allen476

Hi from NY

Post by allen476 »

My name is Al and I have been a long time skirt wearer. I came across this sight while googling for mens skirts. I wear for primarily health reasons and a skirt allows a multitude of benefits for that. I have mostly floor/ankle length skirts except for a couple of knee length denim skirts. I am 100% hetero and only wear skirts and occasionally tights with it when it is cold.

I can't wear in public here as it is a small town and most wouldn't be understanding of it. I have worn out in public when I run errands that I don't have to get out of the vehicle. The only time someone has seen me in a skirt is the women that came to the door trying to get me to switch utility companies. They didn't even bat an eye.

I'm glad that I am not alone in wearing in what is essentially considered a female item.

Al
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Hi from NY

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard, Allen.

Like you, I live in a small hamlet (about 6,000 souls), but find that I am well accepted by the general populace and have never had a lick of trouble. Too, like your experience, most don't usually bat an eyelash, but there have been questions of the completely predictable type:

"Are you transitioning?" -- No.
"Are you trying to get 'in touch' with your 'feminine side'?" -- No.
"What are you wearing under it?" -- What would you say if I asked you that?

Nobody's ever overtly accused me of crossdressing because given my facial hair there's no possible way I could ever even attempt to "pass".

So, even in small towns, especially if you're not afraid to stand out, one can likely wear a skirt -- as a man -- with almost perfect impunity.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
allen476

Post by allen476 »

crfriend wrote:Welcome aboard, Allen.

Like you, I live in a small hamlet (about 6,000 souls), but find that I am well accepted by the general populace and have never had a lick of trouble. Too, like your experience, most don't usually bat an eyelash, but there have been questions of the completely predictable type:

Nobody's ever overtly accused me of crossdressing because given my facial hair there's no possible way I could ever even attempt to "pass".

So, even in small towns, especially if you're not afraid to stand out, one can likely wear a skirt -- as a man -- with almost perfect impunity.

I would but there is a couple of things that really make me not want to.

Have you ever seen "Deliverance" and the kid playing the banjo? Well imagine if he grew up and had kids. Then those kids had kids. Yea, that would then be where I am.

And I really don't want to squeal like a pig.

Then there is the problem of skirts not being allowed where I work. Something about safety and not getting sucked into a spinning lathe. Yes and I do swear that the guy that said "He sure has a purty mouth" works over in finishing.

Other than that I am all for it. I have never cared about what I wear in public or what I look like.

Except here you hear "Dueling Banjos" when you walk through a store and I am afraid that I would look more "feminine" than most of the females as well.

Maybe in my next life.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Allen476,

I wouldn't let a possible confrontation with a redneck influence what you appear to be comfortable with, even if only in your own home. Any you have already met someone whilst skirted with no reaction. That you will find will be the norm and at most there may be a double-take or a second look.

As many here know, the main obstacle confronting first times in public is in your own head. Certainly was in mine. Only by venturing outdoors - even possibly starting in areas where you aren't known or would infrequently visit - does this become easier, in the initial forays "in the wild"

I would also hope that the film (which was made 40 years ago this year) would not influence you in any way. This is the 21st Century and attitudes relax and are more accepting. Think of the homosexual marriage law now in force in NY (which I wholeheartedly applaud :cheers: :hooray: ) and was unthinkable in the 70's.

Let us know how you get on.

One final thought - if you are near NY area, I have been there quite a few times (going again in June) and seen some strange outfits people wear (or not, as in the case of the naked cowboy in Times Square - nice guitar I thought! ;-) ) that you may be more relaxed there.
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

allen476 wrote:Have you ever seen "Deliverance" and the kid playing the banjo? Well imagine if he grew up and had kids. Then those kids had kids. Yea, that would then be where I am.
I saw the movie many, many, years ago, and I would hope that the world has come a way since then. I believe I can infer that you're not near any major city.

I would certainly not let a 40-year-old film shape my conceptions of the world around me.
Then there is the problem of skirts not being allowed where I work. Something about safety and not getting sucked into a spinning lathe.
This is a valid enough concern, and would keep me from weating skirts in the machine environment. Getting any sort of clothing sucked into a moving machine is a harrowing experience -- even if it's moving slowly.
Other than that I am all for it. I have never cared about what I wear in public or what I look like.
I used to feel the same way, and it showed; without meaning to I'd adopted a really sloppy look which my wife dubbed "dumpster chic". Things have improved since then, at least when I'm on top of my game; when I'm not it's back to trousers, and fairly well-worn ones at that. Like today.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
allen476

Post by allen476 »

No, not near a major (or even minor city). The movie fits perfectly for the surroundings here though. It seems cliched but if it "quacks like a duck" then, well you get the idea.

The females here mostly look male. I came across one at the convenience store that was chewing tobacco. The only way I knew that it was female, well was her chest. Maybe I should have wore a skirt.... wouldn't have been any worse than that sight.

You would swear that if you didn't know that you were in NY, that the tornado swept your house into the backwoods of Georgia or Tennessee. And that isn't an exaggeration.

I might wear a skirt out when I have to go to the "city". Then I might feel better about blending in and not fearing for my life. But alas, I have to wear around the house for right now.

The only real time I would get for wearing out, even here, would be either after work or on the weekends. Most weekends though I would rather be working around the house than out and about. I don't go shopping except to get groceries. Most anything else I buy online.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Hi Al,
Just thought I'd jump in here and add a feminie voice to the mix. I'm Carl's wife and coined the "dumpster chic" phrase. You can not believe how happy I am that Carl has found a look that he likes and looks good in, and his skirted look is quite elegant!

One of the surprising things that has happened in our little town is the degree of acceptance, or should I say admiration, that Carl has received from t he ladies at town hall. I volunteer at the senior center and lead teh Wii bowling team. The ladies all ask when Carl's next half day from work is and if he'll be coming to bowling. Some of my friends even think he's hot.

Best of luck with your skirting experience.
Sapphire
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
allen476

Post by allen476 »

sapphire wrote:Hi Al,
Just thought I'd jump in here and add a feminie voice to the mix. I'm Carl's wife and coined the "dumpster chic" phrase. You can not believe how happy I am that Carl has found a look that he likes and looks good in, and his skirted look is quite elegant!

One of the surprising things that has happened in our little town is the degree of acceptance, or should I say admiration, that Carl has received from t he ladies at town hall. I volunteer at the senior center and lead teh Wii bowling team. The ladies all ask when Carl's next half day from work is and if he'll be coming to bowling. Some of my friends even think he's hot.

Best of luck with your skirting experience.
Sapphire

Your husband is lucky to have someone like you.

I can understand the small town thing. It sounds where you live that the people are more forward thinking than here. I wish that the area here was more tolerant. They make fun of those that are different. Spend an afternoon at the convenience store/diner and you will understand.

Allen
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

At the risk of being intrusive, what region of NY State are you in? I'm a native NYer and have traveled through many regions and I understand how diverse the state is.

As for us, we live 2 miles from the second largest city in New England, but ours is a small town. What I have found is that if one is active in town affairs, one seems to be tolerated better. I certainly have my quirks, but I work hard for the town and they accept me. Part of the quirkiness is that I have a number of disabilities that cause me to go "to ground" so to speak, but they are happy with what I do produce and achieve so I get a certain amount of idiosyncrscy credit. Carl is very eloquent at town meeting and gets recognized for that, no matter wht he is wearing.

I do appreciate that you have a struggle. I'm just sharing this because it does not necessarily mean thatthe challenges of skirting are insurmountable. I accept that you feel that way right now, but consider that those challenges can be overcome.

Hang in there and claim your right to dress in the manner you feel is best for you.
Sapphire
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
allen476

Post by allen476 »

sapphire wrote:At the risk of being intrusive, what region of NY State are you in? I'm a native NYer and have traveled through many regions and I understand how diverse the state is.

As for us, we live 2 miles from the second largest city in New England, but ours is a small town. What I have found is that if one is active in town affairs, one seems to be tolerated better. I certainly have my quirks, but I work hard for the town and they accept me. Part of the quirkiness is that I have a number of disabilities that cause me to go "to ground" so to speak, but they are happy with what I do produce and achieve so I get a certain amount of idiosyncrscy credit. Carl is very eloquent at town meeting and gets recognized for that, no matter wht he is wearing.

I do appreciate that you have a struggle. I'm just sharing this because it does not necessarily mean thatthe challenges of skirting are insurmountable. I accept that you feel that way right now, but consider that those challenges can be overcome.

Hang in there and claim your right to dress in the manner you feel is best for you.
Sapphire

I appreciate your encouragement.

However I live about 2 hours from NY's second largest city, and here it is forest, rivers, and rednecks.

If the folk around me were a little more understanding about being different, I would venture out. My eavesdropping on conversations leads me to believe that "tolerance" let alone "acceptance" is about 50 years behind the times here.

If I lived near civilization, I would as well. My one denim skirt really could pass as shorts at first glance. Come to think of it, most of my skirts are made from more masculine prints and colors. And yes I make most of my own. The key is a good pattern. Sewing is the easy part.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

allen476 wrote:
crfriend wrote:Welcome aboard, Allen.

I would but there is a couple of things that really make me not want to.

Have you ever seen "Deliverance" and the kid playing the banjo? Well imagine if he grew up and had kids. Then those kids had kids. Yea, that would then be where I am.

And I really don't want to squeal like a pig.

Then there is the problem of skirts not being allowed where I work. Something about safety and not getting sucked into a spinning lathe. Yes and I do swear that the guy that said "He sure has a purty mouth" works over in finishing.

Except here you hear "Dueling Banjos" when you walk through a store and I am afraid that I would look more "feminine" than most of the females as well.

Maybe in my next life.
I'm with Carl (for the most part) on this one, and have a personal account of mine to repeat from a similar region.

I highly recommend the kilt.

It has a well known history that is long enough and macho enough to aid in the defense of it use. (in other words, it comes with the "Braveheart" card) There is also practically an entire library of good natured comebacks for the wisecracks and leading questions that invariably seem to go with the garment.

And it doesn't have to be the hand made, custom tailored import from Scotland to fit this bill. There are plenty of modern ones and lightweight ones that don't cost hundreds. (Sport Kilts are the first that come to mind)

Now about being in an area where the family trees don't seem to branch...

My parents live in Rural west Texas. Okay, no banjo music there. They use harmonicas and guitars, with coyotes singing backup. With at least one incident in the recent past involving a homosexual getting dragged behind some redneck's pickup truck for a couple of miles, that "squeal like a pig" scenario isn't likely. (I'm saying different risk similar outcome) It is a place where church on Sunday *is* the social event of the week. It is a place where I've seen the effect of the fundamentalist takeover of the southern baptist convention. My sister has told me about people at church there talking about going to "Harry Potter" book burnings.

Last December I visited for a week and I wore my kilt to church.
Absolutely nothing negative came from it.
I did receive a number of nice smiles from the ladies, and the other gents were definitely okay with it.

That being said, when you pluck up the courage to wear it, do it with your head held high.
It is timid body language and responses that winds up projecting a "feminine" attitude.
Being confident will give off the impression that the skirt is the only thing your cojones will comfortably fit into.

As sure as a women can pull off a feminine look in a man's shirt, men can pull off a masculine look in a short skirt.

Freedom has always come with a certain amount of risk, and I'm glad I didn't wait for my next life to take it.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Think of this, Allen. I'm now 70..started skirting at age 2 after my Mom lost 5 previous female and 1 male babies before the age of 7 because my Mom and Dad's blood types weren't compatible. 4 of those were born dead including me, Only I was resusitated after dying on the stainless table. In the middle of the last century there was no known way to keep babies alive when one parent had ORH- and the other parent had A+. We were ALL "BLUE BABIES". Only I was saved of the ones born dead. There were 3 others that lived to age 7 before dying. Totally, there were 5 female and 2 male babies. I was the 7th and when I lived past 7 my parents quit trying and worked on keeping me alive. Obviously they had lots of female clothing up to age 7 and I ended up wearing all of it. I also was born with 2 foot long platinum blond straight hair, which I mostly still have. (It's not 2 foot long but its still dark platinum blond.) I've been accused of having gray hair since I was 5. Too thin for gray hair.

I wore nothing but skirts and dresses until I was 9 and forced into public school. My Mom home schooled me up until then. I screamed loud enough to break glass when they first cut my hair at 9..After public school forced me into trousers I was there until I went to the central Pacific Islands and Tonga on the filming of a Diving Movie where the males all are mandated by law to wear the "tupenu" a wrap skirt. They are dark blue for males, light blue for females.

Look for a movie called "The Other Side Of Heaven" for Tongans and a Mormon missionary. Everyone, including the Mormon missionary wore tupenus all the time. The Missionary is a man called "John Groberg" VERY INTERESTING MOVIE.

By the way, I'm A- and the blood banks push each other aside to get my blood donated.

:welcome: Allen!
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
allen476

Post by allen476 »

kingfish wrote: I'm with Carl (for the most part) on this one, and have a personal account of mine to repeat from a similar region.

I highly recommend the kilt.

It has a well known history that is long enough and macho enough to aid in the defense of it use. (in other words, it comes with the "Braveheart" card) There is also practically an entire library of good natured comebacks for the wisecracks and leading questions that invariably seem to go with the garment.

And it doesn't have to be the hand made, custom tailored import from Scotland to fit this bill. There are plenty of modern ones and lightweight ones that don't cost hundreds. (Sport Kilts are the first that come to mind)

Now about being in an area where the family trees don't seem to branch...

My parents live in Rural west Texas. Okay, no banjo music there. They use harmonicas and guitars, with coyotes singing backup. With at least one incident in the recent past involving a homosexual getting dragged behind some redneck's pickup truck for a couple of miles, that "squeal like a pig" scenario isn't likely. (I'm saying different risk similar outcome) It is a place where church on Sunday *is* the social event of the week. It is a place where I've seen the effect of the fundamentalist takeover of the southern baptist convention. My sister has told me about people at church there talking about going to "Harry Potter" book burnings.

Last December I visited for a week and I wore my kilt to church.
Absolutely nothing negative came from it.
I did receive a number of nice smiles from the ladies, and the other gents were definitely okay with it.

That being said, when you pluck up the courage to wear it, do it with your head held high.
It is timid body language and responses that winds up projecting a "feminine" attitude.
Being confident will give off the impression that the skirt is the only thing your cojones will comfortably fit into.

As sure as a women can pull off a feminine look in a man's shirt, men can pull off a masculine look in a short skirt.

Freedom has always come with a certain amount of risk, and I'm glad I didn't wait for my next life to take it.
It isn't as much as my non-reluctance to wear in public, it is my reluctance to wear in this area due to safety concerns. This is a town of 1100 people. The whole time I have lived here, I have seen 1 woman wear a dress. I have seen only a handful of women wear a skirt and some of those were probably from out of town. Most of the time the women can be seen in jeans or camouflage printed pants. My neighbor wears camo clothing all of the time and she looks more masculine than some of the men in this area. She is very nice though, so I don't rock the boat.

I fear that any change in the status quo will result in harassment. When the gay marriage bill was passed, the consensus was that "them queers can get hitched, well at least we don't need to worry about that around here".

So that type of thinking has me concerned.

Then there is the point you made about the dragging death. Here they wouldn't drag him around, they would invite him hunting. I don't think that the law would find the body.

I do have to go to Syracuse next weekend. I might wear a denim skirt when I go. Have to see what the weather is going to be though.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I hope you do manage to wear the skirt out - you will truly find that most of the negativity will be in your head. Just act confident even though your knees may be knocking. First time I did it out was at a service station getting petrol so was a relatively short time - and the lack of reaction surprised me.

I had expected chuckles, laughter, smirks, finger-pointing and worse but nothing happened, even though some policemen there were getting coffee a few steps away. All in all it was a non-event but built up so much in my head to almost make me forget about it. Glad I went through with it and now feel confident outside almost anywhere (trains, buses, taxis, airplanes, shopping for food and DIY stores, and more besides)

GO FOR IT!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Gymswhirled

Post by Gymswhirled »

A kilt is a great place to start in public. Try a camo-print cargo kilt and slap some NRA stickers and fitness center stickers on your car, then you may actually get a few converts.

Good luck.

Jim
New York
Jim
(a/k/a Gymswhirled)
New York Metro Area
True Hetero MUG