Hi from NY

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Hi from NY

Post by Since1982 »

I can't wear in public here as it is a small town and most wouldn't be understanding of it.
I know you won't believe me but..within 2 miles of my home there is a conclave of "Skinheads" covered with tattoos and Nazi type "stuff". At first when seeing them walking on the street, I actually considered putting my skirts away and going back to "UGH" pants. Now, 3 years later, about 5 of them wear skirts all the time and others of them wear them some of the time. NO one else in my town cares either. Only a comment from time to time from Bailiffs at the courtroom until the Judge tells them not to bother me. I volunteer for Jury Duty...It's interesting.

I also wear skirts mostly for health also. Back support and hip support. I like straight skirts of mid-calf length, khaki or denim cargo style most of the year, and when it's somewhat cold in winter I go for gypsy style with several underskirts for warmth. I also have a bunch of wraparound Sulu or Tupenu skirts originating in Fiji, (Sulu) or Tonga (Tupenu). The Sulu are plain colors of blue, gray, black or khaki and the Tupenu are colorful with blue or dark red backgrounds and colorful fish or flowers all over them. :D :D :D :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Since1982 wrote:
I can't wear in public here as it is a small town and most wouldn't be understanding of it.
I know you won't believe me but..within 2 miles of my home there is a conclave of "Skinheads" covered with tattoos and Nazi type "stuff". At first when seeing them walking on the street, I actually considered putting my skirts away and going back to "UGH" pants. Now, 3 years later, about 5 of them wear skirts all the time and others of them wear them some of the time.
I think a lot of the "skinheads, neo Nazis" are often closely associated with punks. I wouldn't be surprised seeing a skinhead in a kilt, although a skirt would be surprising.
allen476

Post by allen476 »

Since1982 wrote: I know you won't believe me but..within 2 miles of my home there is a conclave of "Skinheads" covered with tattoos and Nazi type "stuff". At first when seeing them walking on the street, I actually considered putting my skirts away and going back to "UGH" pants. Now, 3 years later, about 5 of them wear skirts all the time and others of them wear them some of the time. NO one else in my town cares either. Only a comment from time to time from Bailiffs at the courtroom until the Judge tells them not to bother me. I volunteer for Jury Duty...It's interesting.

Neo-Nazi's will leave you alone as long as you are the right skin color.

I did finally go to the store in a skirt. Actually I was out dropping off bills and forgot that I needed to stop at the convenient store to get a couple of things. Instead of going all the way back home to change I stopped as is. One person did say something semi-derogatory. The clerk thought it was cool that I was willing to be different.

I'll just wear around the house for now. The neighbor next door knows and she doesn't care but has told me that some of her friends would.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

allen476 wrote:Neo-Nazi's will leave you alone as long as you are the right skin color.
Or if your hair is the correct length or if you conform to what they perceive as the normal. Although I may be speaking more properly of "skinheads".
I did finally go to the store in a skirt. Actually I was out dropping off bills and forgot that I needed to stop at the convenient store to get a couple of things. Instead of going all the way back home to change I stopped as is. One person did say something semi-derogatory. The clerk thought it was cool that I was willing to be different.
Well done. It takes quite the bit of "intestinal fortitude" to take that first step.
The neighbor next door knows and she doesn't care but has told me that some of her friends would.
As it seems you're on speaking terms with her, it might not hurt to ask, "Why?" It's not like your wearing a skirt will bring an end to the world as we know it. Sometimes these random contacts can be quite instructive indeed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

allen476 wrote:The neighbor next door knows and she doesn't care but has told me that some of her friends would.
It is remarkable how often people take offence or complain on behalf of somebody else because they don't want to be seen as narrow minded or out of touch themselves. Whenever I get an answer like that I always provide an explanation for the imaginary person, knowing that the person I'm talking to is listening.

Have fun (and don't let imaginary friends stop you),

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce