Hello From St. Paul, MN!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Vince O.

Hello From St. Paul, MN!

Post by Vince O. »

Hello Everyone!
My name is Vince and I live in St. Paul, MN, USA. I have been making kilts on and off for about 1.5yrs. I have just started making sarongs and man-skirts very recently. I look forward to chatting more on this forum. If you want to check out some of the things I have done, go to Revolution Kilts at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Revolutio ... 1873110988

"Start your own revolution...changing the world, one kilt/skirt at a time!"
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello From St. Paul, MN!

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Vince,

Good to see someone else in the skirt/kilt making trade. Good luck with your venture.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Vince O.

Post by Vince O. »

skirtingtoday wrote:Hi Vince,

Good to see someone else in the skirt/kilt making trade. Good luck with your venture.
Thank you!
Joshinaskirt

Post by Joshinaskirt »

Hi Vince! I'm Josh. I live in NE Minneapolis and am interested in your clothing skills. I followed your FaceBook link and like what I see. Local culture of men in kilts is awesome to see! Are the skirts you wear ever ladies skirts or are they always more kilt-like and plain of fabric. Ever any lace? I wonder if men could fashion their own type of lace designs that are obviously masculine? My wife sews and we're starting to put some thought into it for my wardrobe. I don't mind expressing some of my feminine side. It's been fun to put some designs together. I'm going to start committing some of my designs to paper. May I share some of them with you sometime? :)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Joshinaskirt wrote:Hi Vince! I'm Josh. I live in NE Minneapolis and am interested in your clothing skills. I followed your FaceBook link and like what I see. Local culture of men in kilts is awesome to see!
Hi, Josh, and welcometo the group.
Joshinaskirt wrote:Are the skirts you wear ever ladies skirts or are they always more kilt-like and plain of fabric.
Most of us go beyond just Scotish-style kilts, and when you buy a skirt off the rack, it's usually in the ladies department. However, the primary thought is to dress in a skirt, and not primarily as a woman.
Joshinaskirt wrote:Ever any lace?
I suspect that lace is nearly as rare here as it is in traditional men's clothing, but I suppose it's possible. I'm not aware of any any hard and fast rules on lace.
Joshinaskirt wrote:I wonder if men could fashion their own type of lace designs that are obviously masculine? My wife sews and we're starting to put some thought into it for my wardrobe. I don't mind expressing some of my feminine side.
Perhaps you could pick up some details from the 1700's or 1800's, or from clerical garb.
Joshinaskirt wrote:It's been fun to put some designs together. I'm going to start committing some of my designs to paper. May I share some of them with you sometime? :)
Sure, that'd be interesting. There tends to be a lot of talk about what constitutes a masculine skirt, and new ideas might further that discussion.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Joshinaskirt

Post by Joshinaskirt »

Caultron...Yes, the 1700-1800's would be a fine place to start, I think, too! Good idea! I'm very much a forward thinker and would only use older ideas as a jumping off point. I wonder if trench coat materials could lend a design hand for a modern skirt. I've been seeing some awesome things German men are strutting on the runway. Very modern fabrics and cuts. No lace as of yet that I've noticed. I don't mind inventing it, though. :)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Joshinaskirt wrote:Caultron...Yes, the 1700-1800's would be a fine place to start, I think, too! Good idea! I'm very much a forward thinker and would only use older ideas as a jumping off point. I wonder if trench coat materials could lend a design hand for a modern skirt. I've been seeing some awesome things German men are strutting on the runway. Very modern fabrics and cuts. No lace as of yet that I've noticed. I don't mind inventing it, though. :)
I'm not sure what the attraction of making a skirt out of a trenchcoat might be, but if that intrigues you, sure, go for it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron