Hello from Tasmania

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Hello from Tasmania

Post by Tassierob »

As a full time modern kilt wearer for the last 4 years I thought it was time to share my experiences of wearing a kilt or skirt (call it what you like) around Tasmania and the big island just north of us.

But more importantly to encourage others to dispose of their trousers around the world.

So hello to you all and to those of you who don't know where Tasmania is...its a secret place of such great beauty I can't tell you where it is as it may become to crowded.
O.K you can come visit if you wear a skirt :D

Cheers
Rob
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Tasmania

Post by couyalair »

I'd be delighted to come, skirted, to Tasmania, but there are a lot of awfully big islands to get past before landing.

Martin, just north of a big island called Africa.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Welcome to our corner of cyberspace. Feel free to jump in to any conversations that grab you or start your own as you see fit.

Have fun,

Ian (from another small island (I know it's small because Bill Bryson wrote some notes from here) albeit an island about three times larger than yours).
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, the one immediately North of you is the one called New Holland, is it not? A friend who drove Jumbos for BA said that after they took off from an airfield just South of Port Jackson it flew for five whole hours NW before clearing the Island somewhere near Darwin on the way home. Now That is a very big Island. Not as big as Africa, mind, but at least it's all one country.

Next time I step off a boat in Hobart I'll be kilted.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

Kirbstone wrote:Yes, the one immediately North of you is the one called New Holland, is it not? A friend who drove Jumbos for BA said that after they took off from an airfield just South of Port Jackson it flew for five whole hours NW before clearing the Island somewhere near Darwin on the way home. Now That is a very big Island. Not as big as Africa, mind, but at least it's all one country.

Next time I step off a boat in Hobart I'll be kilted.

Tom K.
Hi Tom

Yep it is a huge country...we just came back from 4 weeks holiday on the big island, a 12hr ferry trip just to get there. Then we drove 5,500km just to see Lake Eyre whick is our lowest point, 15m below sea level, and come back. Thats not that far for us :)
And if you "step off the boat" in Hobart make sure you let me know you are coming, there is lots to see down here.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Tassierob, welcome the the island in reality we call San Francisco. :lol:

PS, I love your tag line.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Hi Tassierob,

I am not far from you. I live in Queensland (on the main land lol). I have been to Tasmania a few time with relatives there in Hobart. Its great to see another aussie rocking the skirt!
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

SkirtRevolution wrote:Hi Tassierob,

I am not far from you. I live in Queensland (on the main land lol). I have been to Tasmania a few time with relatives there in Hobart. Its great to see another aussie rocking the skirt!
Sorry we are on the mainland down here. You are on the big island up north :D

If you come down here again let me know, a skirted night out may well be in order!
terry1206

Post by terry1206 »

Hello Bob
You live in a beautiful part of Australia. But you already know that. Im a new member just wanted to say hi Im from New South Wales not far from Sydney. Terry
terry1206

Post by terry1206 »

Hello Tassierob
You have been wearing a skirt or kilt full time for couple of years . Just a question do you get many comments or smart remarks ? I have being wearing a skirt for a while and don't get any negative comments . I wear it in a very public place as where i work a fish and chip take away shop . I wear skirts at work regularly I may get the occasional look but nobody has said anything. Also it does not appear to affect the number of customers in shop. All the best Rob talk again later.
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

terry1206 wrote:Hello Tassierob
You have been wearing a skirt or kilt full time for couple of years . Just a question do you get many comments or smart remarks ? I have being wearing a skirt for a while and don't get any negative comments . I wear it in a very public place as where i work a fish and chip take away shop . I wear skirts at work regularly I may get the occasional look but nobody has said anything. Also it does not appear to affect the number of customers in shop. All the best Rob talk again later.
Hi Terry

One thing that has always surprised me is the positive comments from total strangers. Even my wife hanging of my arm does not stop them coming up and asking about my attire!

You get a few smart remarks but I reckon in the last 5 years only a handful. Groups of blokes together thinking they are being smart, that sort of thing. I just ignore them usually and carry on with all the confidence I can muster. I wear a kilt to work every day and also to conferences and out to meet clients. I have found it a very positive experience. And one thing is for sure, my clients never forget me :D

May I be so bold as to ask what part of this great country you reside in?
Cheers
Rob
terry1206

Post by terry1206 »

Hello Tassierob
Sorry for the slow reply . Yes I come from Wollongong. Beautiful place Tasmania.
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

No problem Terry.
The Gong is a nice part of the world. we lived in Sydney for many years before we finally made the move (imigrated!) down here 17 years ago.
I live in hope that one day someone else from Tassie will join and we can have skirted get togethers...so if you ever find yourself down this way!

Cheers
Rob
terry1206

Post by terry1206 »

I was thinking of going down that way end of January or early February I will let you know.