Now I have a kilt

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
chrisinkilt

Now I have a kilt

Post by chrisinkilt »

Hello,
I've been lurking for a few years, but now that I have my kilt, I'm ready. The wife is not. The 13 year old thinks I'm daft and the 5 year old can't figure out why dad is wearing a skirt. I've only once tried it on, and then the other night had it on around the house.

I have a utilikilt mocker in khaki, and it was originally purchased under the pretense of wearing it to Ren-faires since we go in period costume. I would like to wear it whenever, or every other day which ever is greater. :lol:

Chrisinkilt
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Now I have a kilt

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard, Chris, and congratulations for making the transition from "lurker' to participant!

SkirtCafe champions the wearing of skirts and kilts "out and about" for whatever reason (not that one is necessary, mind, other than "for the heck of it") anytime anyplace. Kilts and skirts make sense for guys; they can look devastatingly good on blokes, and are vastly more comfortable than any form of trousers. In short, they are superior garments in most settings.

Of course the children will be a bit confused, and it's sad that your wife is not particularly thrilled, but that's just societal baggage rearing its head. Hopefully with time, everybody involved will come to embrace "one tube for two legs". If not, show 'em a few shots of Sean Connery in a kilt; that ought to turn them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Chris,

first off, hi and welcome to the Cafe.
chrisinkilt wrote:I'm ready. The wife is not...
From experience, you need to take this very gently. As you are aware, there is a whole host of associations in most people's minds that link skirt-wearing with crossdressing or, inexplicably, to homosexuality. Without meaning to put words in your wife's mouth, bear in mind that you have had some time to get used to the idea of you in a kilt/skirt and she has not. It doesn't matter how many times or in how many different ways you say "it's just cloth", you both know that isn't entirely true. If it was just cloth, you wouldn't have a problem with going back to trousers for the rest of your life.

Significant things about skirts on men is that they are very visible and very unusual. For yourself, you are willing to be seen and to face the consequences of your actions. That is a good starting point. Your family, however, also have to face the consequences, and they don't have the luxury of choice. This puts them in something of an uncomfortable situation, which can lead to conflict and discontent. Handled sensitively and slowly, this can be overcome and it can be a valuable lesson for all in deciding how much control of our identities we are willing to cede to society at large. Handle it badly and it may be years before you can broach the subject again.

If you already know all this, just ignore me and move on, I don't want to come across all preachy, just to urge a little caution. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Of course, given the timescale you outlined above, this is already obvious to you, so I'll shut up and let you get on with your day.

Again, welcome.

Paul.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

You said: I've been lurking for a few years, but now that I have my kilt, I'm ready. The wife is not. The 13 year old thinks I'm daft and the 5 year old can't figure out why dad is wearing a skirt. I've only once tried it on, and then the other night had it on around the house.
This is the result of 1,500 years of riding horses....Men ride horses ie, they MUST wear PANTS, PERIOD.

Vice versa, Women MUST wear skirts/dresses to give MAN easy access to the baby making area. Any arguments are welcome.

:welcome: Chris and enjoy our site!! :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
chrisinkilt

Post by chrisinkilt »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. The funny thing is that if I wear the kilt, it's immediately obvious I'm wearing something different. Over the summer we had some hot weather and I slipped into one of her khaki pleated skirts and wore it, and the wife and walked around the block, late that night. She never noticed. The two garments have almost the same profile.
She was more upset about the fact that I could get the skirt on, than the fact that I wore it. I think I'll just put on from time to time, and when summer rolls around again, push the apron (envelope) again to keep cool.