Late arrival

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
JPatrickM

Late arrival

Post by JPatrickM »

My name is Patrick, I live in the middle Thames Valley, and I am retired. I have been visiting this site for about 6 months now, having come late to the skirted scene in 2009. Until then, wearing a skirt had never occurred to me as something a normal man would do Then a chance conversation, and subsequent experiment, revealed to me how much more comfortable than trousers the right skirt can be. Since then I have acquired several skirts, which I wear with increasing frequency, though almost exclusively at home (indoors and in the garden). Not sure what I can contribute to the forum, but I thought it was about time I registered. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Late arrival

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard Patrick!

Those are good looks both, and, as you seem to recognise useful for differing situations. The first is absolutely a good casual look, and perfect for tasks like toiling in the garden. The second, I think, I think you give short shrift to needlessly as that, with a better fitted shirt, would likely work quite well as a slightly more formal look.

In any event, well done and full marks on both.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Hi Patrick, these are great looks and you wear them well. Welcome to the site :D
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hello Patrick,

Good to meet you here. As another resident of the Thames Valley (I'm just north of Maidenhead) there is a chance we may bump into one another some time.

You said you started to consider wearing a skirt after a chance conversation; who was that with and how did it go? I'm always curious how folks first come to try skirts, as by understanding that we may be able to use it to help spread the message to others who have yet to see the light.

Another question to which folks like to know the answer is "how have your friends and family reacted"? You do not say whether you live alone, if you are comfortable with sharing that information, I'm sure we'd all like to know you a little better. (No need to share any information you do not want to).

Anyway, welcome to our corner of cyberspace.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Patrick,

I'm a garden skirt wearer too, past retirement age but still in harness, because I enjoy what I do still. Although resident in Ireland I know the Thames Valley well, as an unpowered boat shover.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: Patrick...Looking forward to your posts. :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

JPatrickM wrote:... in 2009. Until then, wearing a skirt had never occurred to me as something a normal man would do
Is it not sad that the possibility of wearing what turns out to be the most comfortable choice never occurs to so many men? I'm sure this is the case of 99% of the male population. No imagination, no experimentation. (This sounds like criticism aimed at our new friend Patrick. That is not my intention.)
JPatrickM wrote: Then a chance conversation, and subsequent experiment, revealed to me how much more comfortable than trousers the right skirt can be.
How sad too that the spark of enlightenment happens so late in life. (I'm assuming, Patrick, that you and I are in the same age bracket) It seems to me that for many, skirtwearing begins only with retirement. But with the internet, there is a greater probability that the chance event that leads to questioning of trouser tyranny will be happening younger and younger.

Martin
JPatrickM

Post by JPatrickM »

Thankyou all for your comments, particularly to Carl for helpful comments on the pictures. A little more information --- I live on my own, my wife having unfortunately died in June last year. (she didn't approve, said it was a daft idea, and yes, she did have more pairs of jeans in her wardrobe than I did/do).
I am currently trying to broach the subject with my daughter, who, I think, would be sympathetic, BUT, I don't want to wear a skirt when the grandchildren ( aged 6 & 8 ) are around. My son would probably profess approval of a sort, but privately think I was "losing it", his new wife would almost certainly say "go for it", and mean it. A couple of friends, who are near neighbours, have seen me skirted and made positive comments, but possibly think in private that I'm getting a bit weird.
More info.: interests --- photography and gardening, plus a little cooking, classical music and jazz (though not as a player), I am involved in several groups of the local U3A (walking, birding, natural history),and one of these might be an opportunity to wear a skirt away from the house --- but NOT YET !! :!: :!: :!:

Patrick
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

I'm mid-thirties and have been skirting for 18 months now. A little further upcountry from you, in Cambridgeshire.

Welcome to the site, and we look forward to hearing from you more.

Paul.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Patrick,
a very belated welcome to the cafe, this is my fourth attempt, largely due to an unpredictable computer. First, the looks are fine, youy seem to be comfortable and relaxed and that is the most important. You must contribute as you see fit, and I would say you have made a fairly good start, so carry on.
On the subject of "telling", I have done a lot of that lately. See my posts "telling the kids". This actually includes friends, family and some colleagues. There is no formula and nobody should infer it is easy. If you have done it already, please tell how it went, good or bad.
Finally, if you could stand a trip to God's own country on the 21st October, some of us will be gathering at the Golden Lion in Stirling.
Steve.